Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > NetInfo in Directory Access???

NetInfo in Directory Access???
Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 12:27 AM

I just installed Panther on two different machines. I installed identical options on boths machines. However, when I opened Directory Access to implement the fix for the DHCP/LDAP security flaw, I noticed a discrepency between the two machines. On one NetInfo is enabled, and on the other its not.

As I said, I installed Panther the same exact way on both of them. Any ideas on what would account for this descrepency?

Cipher13
Dec 10, 2003, 01:17 AM

Archive and install?
Erase and install?
Upgrade?

Perhaps if it was an upgrade or whatever it took the settings from Jag, and maybe one of them had it on before Panther...

Hobbes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 02:13 AM

It was an Erase and Install on both machines. I'm beginning to suspect that it is hardware related. The machine where NetInfo is disabled is a PowerBook, whereas the machine where it's enabled is an iBook (about two years old).

I had a friend check his brand-new, Clean Install PowerBook, and it's also disabled. So this makes me think that newer machines don't need it enabled, whereas something about older machines flags the installer to enable it.

Here's another question: Is there any harm that could come from it being enabled? Or should I disable it on the iBook too?
( Last edited by Hobbes; Dec 10, 2003 at 02:51 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules