Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Customizing OS X redux

Customizing OS X redux (Page 8)
Meteo
Jun 8, 2001, 08:19 AM

your themes (primus and starfleex) look greats
but here the comments I want to do:
- I do not like at all these f*cking aqua blue folders , I do prefer the OS 9 violet ones
- what about add the functionnality that OS9 has and not X (one more time ), concerning the list view, a gray background with a thin white line between each element...very readable, far away from the lisibility of X...in my opinion of course! that would be great if you could add this in the list and column view.
- that s all for the moment...
thank you guy for your great job
"It's not a bug, it's a feature..."
I do love these guys....

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 08:49 AM

Meteo, the folder icons aren't stored in Extras.rsrc. You can use Mac OS 9-style icons with any theme and every theme. In fact, since you asked......

Here's a link to the Phoenix Design icon page, which contains a very nice (IMHO) Mac OS 9 icon set for Mac OS X, complete with icons for Utilities and Downloads folders, as well as all the standard (Pictures, Sites, System, Classic, etc.) folders. Instructions are included for installing the icons into your HIToolbox.rsrc file, and it's really not that difficult if you have a copy of QuickConvert. Have fun...

Primus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Meteo:
<STRONG>concerning the list view, a gray background with a thin white line between each element...very readable, far away from the lisibility of X...in my opinion of course! that would be great if you could add this in the list and column view.</STRONG>
I think it is impossible to make a window background less or more contrasted depending on the selected column (except if you insert a background picture in the Finder Window but obviously it would suck. And don't even try this since background picture is not supported in list view).
Simply because Apple didn't make "objects" to fill these spaces, so... they cannot be changed: they don't exist. There are only pictures for column headers (name, size, version, etc). Only existing objects with a resource number can be replaced by other shapes and colors.
I hope Apple will implement better list view in 10.1 for MWNY. For now it is one of the parts most looking "beta" in the system.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 12:42 PM

[snip]

edit: okay, just color me stupid... I didn't see that Meteo's queries had already been answered. Duuuh...

Oh, and here's a current shot of Iridium. The "Default Button" is throbbing, probably at its darkest point in this pic. Yes, I know the color is a bit off for the widgets; I'm still working on em.
Iridium v0.68

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 02:48 AM

I don't know about those buttons. Too reminiscent of Windows, I think.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 11:43 AM

Actually, the buttons remind me a tiny bit of Maury McCown's MacQNX Kaleidoscope scheme... which I suppose would probably remind me of QNX if I'd ever used it. It's worth noting, though, that MacQNX is one of the most popular Kaleidoscope schemes in existence... it should be unsurprising that I like the look a great deal. Your sense of design is amazing, Starfleet... I wouldn't have thought to take the theme in this direction, yet I can see something taking shape that could be even more attractive than what I'd pictured. My only advice is not to completely do away with drop shadows and the like... alpha-blended check box shadows, for example, actually look pretty good, and from the looks of it you're just pretty much leaving those extra pixels blank... until Apple gives us a way to turn off shadows system-wide (menus, windows, etc) I wouldn't go quite that spartan.
Oh, and I'd also darken the right-side bevel of the push buttons... the bottom looks a lot darker than the right side, which throws off the subtlety of the effect. But as you said, those are works in progress.

I can't wait until 1.0!

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2001, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>[snip]

edit: okay, just color me stupid... I didn't see that Meteo's queries had already been answered. Duuuh...

Oh, and here's a current shot of Iridium. The "Default Button" is throbbing, probably at its darkest point in this pic. Yes, I know the color is a bit off for the widgets; I'm still working on em.
Iridium v0.68</STRONG>
You know... once I saw those buttons they look exactly like this one scheme I was making for Kaleidoscope. I called it Simple Aqua. I made all the elements in Flash. Keep in mind that I never made a theme in my life and everytime I would paste something the color would get screwed up. I even made an iTunes skin based on Simple Aqua. But since the Kaleidoscope thing was screwing up I just threw it away. Now I realized I should have used pict to cicn or whatever. Anyways Mac OS X themes are alot better about colors

iBabo
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 02:42 PM

have you guys heard of Xmorph?
seems like a metamorphX wannabe, but it does come with a "theme builder".
i think the website is http://homepage.mac.com/goMac/
i think its worth looking at if only for the themebuilder
smile like you mean it.

FAerrorTAL
Jun 10, 2001, 12:53 AM

Hey, starfleet, i like the buttons, but IMHO (and this could already be changed) if the buttons are going to be a violet color, then something similar would be nice everywhere else, the blue and violet look to clash, the intensity is so different.

but i do like the buttons!

on another not, i'd love to be able to change the system font color, boy would that open up some theming possibilities.
anyhow, i hope to have a preview of my theme soon, i'm narrowing down the possible prototypes now.
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2001, 05:54 AM

Newbie support. I downloaded star's extrabws.rsrc file which I assume is a theme but I have no idea what to do with it. Can someone tell me how to or what to replace? If you can please email it to me- [email protected]

TIA
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>Newbie support. I downloaded star's extrabws.rsrc file which I assume is a theme but I have no idea what to do with it. Can someone tell me how to or what to replace?</STRONG>
Assuming the file is on your desktop, run these lines through the terminal. When asked for a password, use your administartive password (your normal password if you're the only user).
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Resources

sudo mv Extras.rsrc ExtrasBackup.rsrc

sudo mv ~/Desktop/ExtraBWS.rsrc Extras.rsrc</font>[/code]
That'll put my theme in your system and move the old one aside. To get the old one back:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Resources

sudo mv Extras.rsrc ~/Desktop/ExtrasBWS.rsrc

sudo mv ExtrasBackup.rsrc Extras.rsrc</font>[/code]
I know, it's ugly. We're working on ways to make it much more user friendly. For my own use, I'm using some unix shell scripts I wrote to help automate the process. I'm also working on a Cocoa installer program, but I'm might stop development on it since it seems that other people are doing the same.

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by FAerrorTAL:
<STRONG>IMHO (and this could already be changed) if the buttons are going to be a violet color, then something similar would be nice everywhere else, the blue and violet look to clash, the intensity is so different.</STRONG>
That was actually fixed about five minutes after I posted that picture. The buttons and widgets are now the darker, more vibrant blue as seen in the menu. I've been twiddling with these resources a little bit here-and-there over the past couple of days; so, I'll post an updated progress pic sometime early this week.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 10:49 AM

StarfleetX, I don't know about anyone else, but I for one LOVE you theme like it is right now. The graphite Aqua elements go VERY WELL witht the titile bar and darker greys. Is there any chance that you could maintain two versions of Iridium- One with all new widgets and one with just the new titile bars and grey backgrounds like now? That would be super!

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 10:54 AM

StarfleetX you ROCK!!! I just downloaded your theme and am very, very pleased with it. I was an Aqua fan until I tried unlined charcoal (My eyes are still thanking me). That was better, but felt a little empty. Your theme is perfect. I like having square corners back, and the metallic shading is magnificent! Have you considered using the format that MetamorphX uses for easier Theme swapping for newbies?

Anyway keep up the good work! You've made my week!

Oh did I tell you that you rock!!!
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

iBabo
Senior User
Jun 10, 2001, 01:25 PM

i believe metamorphX supports regualr old etras.rsrc files as well as its own "proprietory" .theme file
i know i changed my unlined charcol theme to starfleets one with metamorphX
all you have to do is put the downloaded file into the themes folder of metamorphX. and launch metamorphX..and youll see it in the list..you dont even have to rename the file to extras.rcrs
smile like you mean it.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2001, 06:13 PM

I can't get the last 4 pages of this thread to view so I'm doing a test post to see what's up.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2001, 06:39 PM

Cool, that test post got these last pages to view for me!

Cool, iBabo, thanks that worked. I was real close to starfleetx way, the file was not in var/root/desktop so I had to figure that out but didn't need to with metamorphx, cool proggie.

starfleetx- do i need to change the renamed extras(backup).rsrc to what it was? or can i leave it as that or should i renmae it with the 'backup' in the file name?

BTW- IT LOOKS GORGEOUS IN OMNI WEB with the graphite selected!!!!!!

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 11:32 PM

Oiginally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>starfleetx- do i need to change the renamed extras(backup).rsrc to what it was? or can i leave it as that or should i renmae it with the 'backup' in the file name?</STRONG>
Nah, you can call it whatever you want; I just use that name in the instructions I give so the original file is easily identified.

Now, here's that updated pic I promised:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bwsmith/images/IridiumPic084.jpg

edit:
Oops!! I just noticed a BIG mistake in the instructions I gave above in the earlier post about returning to your original theme. It has now been fixed.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2001, 12:19 AM

StarfleetX-

are you planning on changing the close, minimize, and resize widgets?

great work on the theme, dude.

-Ryan

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2001, 12:30 AM

I actually kinda like the window widgets the way they are, especially in graphite mode. I never use the "color" mode because everything just jumps off the screen and looks kind of irritating IMO. Which brings me to my only real critisism of starfleets work and that is the color of the blue for the scroll bars and the throbbing button. Just doesn't fit with the other colors you've got working. I really like the color of the pressed button but the other blue is just too saturated and distracting. Other than that this theme is kick'n a ton of ass. I've been using this theme for a couple of days and it really makes OSX a much more appealing experience. Keep it up! Thanks.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2001, 02:13 AM

<STRONG>on another not, i'd love to be able to change the system font color, boy would that open up some theming possibilities.
anyhow, i hope to have a preview of my theme soon, i'm narrowing down the possible prototypes now.</STRONG>
You can... in Theminator, go to "Palette" then select "Show text colors" From there you can edit the colors.

[email protected]

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2001, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Chet Ript:
<STRONG>...that is the color of the blue for the scroll bars and the throbbing button. Just doesn't fit with the other colors you've got working.</STRONG>
Don't fit? Actually, they're exactly the same colors. The checkbox, radio button, throb-state of the push button, selected menu header, and selected menu item all have the same shades of blue in their gradients. Too dark and saturated for you, though? That's okay, a little constructive criticism is a Good Thing�. I had already planned on releasing several color variations; now I'll just have to add some lighter, pastel-like colors to the list.

MacFan
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 04:43 AM

Keep it up StarFleetX. Can't wait for the colors. I use graphite with you scheme as the red is a little rough on my eyes although my fiance likes it a lot.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 14, 2001, 05:15 PM

*walks up to thread with paddles*

Clear!

*zoomf*

Okay, I'm done now. This thread (redux or not) has been going on far far too long to let it die because we now have a theme we like. More screen shots! More information! More newbie questions, even! More, I say!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2001, 06:29 PM

Apple (legal) doesn't like people creating OSX themes. Right? but then there's this
Apple's OSX apps page's
If nobody is (really) allowed (by Apple at least) to make themes what the point is an app to make switching them easier.
lol

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Mediaman_12 ]

Magnifico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 11:14 PM

Ah ha! I was wondering how he was able to keep posting it to versiontracker, and on his iDisk!

Seems like he has the inside track of sorts.

The next version, slated for this Monday, is to have user customization feature!

Go Figure!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2001, 01:07 AM

That's great and all, but we need more themes to switch between!!

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2001, 10:42 PM

So Starfleet, can we see some screenshots on what you've been up to?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2001, 10:57 PM

Starfleet
I was wondering why the hilite color is red instead of blue? At least it is for me. So I decided to go graphite and I have X-Assist installed and the graphite doesn't show up, it's menus are red too. Not your fault but I was just wondering why red? Also, the X-Assist is following your colors not the systems which is graphite-wierd. I use metamorphx so maybe it's affecting the colors, dunno.

<Daniel Canaris>
Jun 18, 2001, 11:25 PM

All MetaforceX does is switch resources around from packages. I doubt it's doing it. Same thing for me anyway...

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2001, 01:13 AM

Not to ruffle any feathers but on another forum someone else has a theme that looks exactly like Starfleets-
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...sb=5&o=7&part=

Even has the red menu hilite prob

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 02:59 AM

<STRONG>Not to ruffle any feathers but on another forum someone else has a theme that looks exactly like Starfleets-
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board= Forum26&Number=192640&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o =7&part=

Even has the red menu hilite prob </STRONG>
It is Starfleet's theme... Or was that implied?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2001, 05:51 AM

Well, I was implying that the 2 look similar and that someone might be a little winded that someone may be taking credit for a lot of hard work. If it is starfleets he can go to the other board and question it. Looked exactly the same to me and I saw starfleets first so I figured that he should know.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 03:17 PM

<STRONG>Well, I was implying that the two look similar and that someone might be a little winded that someone may be taking credit for a lot of hard work. If it is starfleets he can go to the other board and question it. Looked exactly the same to me and I saw starfleets first so I figured that he should know.</STRONG>
Well I know for a fact it is StarFleetX's as he provided a download link exactly a the one here. Appearantly it is spreading all around the net. Toyin never specifically said that he made the theme. Although that was the feeling in the thread. I made two responses and in the second one noting that Toyin did not make it but StarfleetX did. I even directed them to this thread. Hopefully that cleared up any confusion if there was any...

[email protected]

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 03:30 PM

Toyin, please remove the link to my NCSU page immediately. I requested before that nobody link to it, but because you and others have, I have removed it. Please do not mirror it, e-mail, or distribute it any more.
from page 7 of this thread:
<STRONG>I'd rather everyone not go posting this everywhere else quite yet. Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone already has, I'd rather you all please wait until I can update it or at least include a readme or something with it.
Anyway, just please don't send it to other sites or servers... just not yet, at least. Okay? Thanks.</STRONG>
I am rather dissappointed.

:o

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

<-Synotic->
Jun 19, 2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>Toyin, please remove the link to my NCSU page immediately. I requested before that nobody link to it, but because you and others have, I have removed it. Please do not mirror it, e-mail, or distribute it any more.

I am rather dissappointed.

:o</STRONG>
Well according to his post, he said the link is all around the net. I know he roams these boards, but maybe he didn't necessarily see it from here and never saw the restriction? Just a guess...

FAerrorTAL
Jun 20, 2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>You can... in Theminator, go to "Palette" then select "Show text colors" From there you can edit the colors.

[email protected] </STRONG>
well there it is! duh
thanks

Here's a question: I know that subtle themes are my preference, and that of other designers here, but would there be any yearning for a fun and funky theme? i'm thinking of a few....
lemme know
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2001, 08:21 AM

Hi all,

I was fooling with MetamorphX and XMorph, not doing anything dangerous, just switching themes.
Now I'm getting very frequent Finder quits. It restarts, and quits soon after.
Any remedies (painless)? I've done a fsck.
Anyway we need themes. Aqua's like Op Art.
Slimmy

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2001, 09:37 AM

You have *both* MetamorphX and Xmorph? Perhaps there's a conflict between the two. Like they're each telling Finder to use a different Extras.rsrc or something. First thing I'd try is deleting one of them.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2001, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>You have *both* MetamorphX and Xmorph? Perhaps there's a conflict between the two. Like they're each telling Finder to use a different Extras.rsrc or something. First thing I'd try is deleting one of them.</STRONG>
OK, I deleted the Finder prefs, replaced Extras.rsrc with a fresh copy, and so far so good (except for the awful antialiasing).

Can't wait for 10.0.4

FAerrorTAL
Jun 23, 2001, 01:55 AM

Ok, back to the top!

I've been making widgets that are an odd shape, and they just don't anti alias right... It could be my mask or alpha, but they have white, pixelated borders... help! what exactly should I do with my mask and alpha layers? I've got the dropshadow and an otherwise clean cut of the image in the alpha, but it's got greys.... and greys in the mask? pefect cut? i dunno what to do.
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

<Mr.E.>
Jun 23, 2001, 02:41 AM

Hi...

I am a new Mac and Mac Os X user and have a very simple question... don't want to edit any file or create any new icons... I simply want to know if there is a way of changing the iMac icon in the Finder that represents the computer for some other model (a tower, cube, etc).

Thanks..

Mr. E.

<Mr.E.>
Jun 23, 2001, 02:43 AM

Hi...

I am a new Mac and Mac Os X user and have a very simple question... don't want to edit any file or create any new icons... I simply want to know if there is a way of changing the iMac icon in the Finder that represents the computer for some other model (a tower, cube, etc).

Thanks..

Mr. E.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2001, 02:57 AM

&lt;Mr.E.&gt;: To change that icon you have to replace the icon resource of the file:

/System/Library/Core Services/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/Computer.icns

<-Synotic->
Jun 23, 2001, 04:02 AM

<STRONG>Ok, back to the top!

I've been making widgets that are an odd shape, and they just don't anti alias right... It could be my mask or alpha, but they have white, pixelated borders... help! what exactly should I do with my mask and alpha layers? I've got the dropshadow and an otherwise clean cut of the image in the alpha, but it's got greys.... and greys in the mask? pefect cut? i dunno what to do.</STRONG>
Could you please post the normal image and the mask then we can help you. Usually I never use alphas. I usually just use the image of it the widget with the background all in one I can give an example if you don't know what I meant. G'day,

[email protected]

King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2001, 06:05 AM

Alphas must be premultiplied...

Minds greater than mine figured this out...

Here's the scoop (I did not write this):

It appears the weird messed up pxm# alpha is really quite normal. The pxm# just contains a premultiplied alpha channeled image. This saves some sorta step along the way when blending. This is why it's premultiplied, so you don't have to multiply every time you blend.

So this is a normal alpha image pixel: A R G B

Each of those values is 0-255.
So you take your original pixel (A R G B) and we're going to premultiply it.

So you make it this: A (R*A/256) (G*A/256) (B*A/256)

Um, so I could explain this more clearly if I spent some time in photoshop making example pictures. It's not a real complicated topic, it just needs some illustrations.

You can use photoshop to do the multiplying for you....

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: King Kong ]

FAerrorTAL
Jun 24, 2001, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by &lt;-Synotic-&gt;:
<STRONG>Could you please post the normal image and the mask then we can help you. Usually I never use alphas. I usually just use the image of it the widget with the background all in one I can give an example if you don't know what I meant. G'day,

[email protected]</STRONG>
um yeah examples would be good, thanks!
I'd post, but how should i do it? load it and link it? or can i somehow just stick it right here in my post?
thanks,
FAerrorTAL

ps
dang synotic, when was the last time you logged into the forum? now that's lazy
Fatal Error... a PC term
for "I should have
bought a Mac"

iBabo
Senior User
Jun 26, 2001, 05:46 PM

anyone been working on any new themes?
smile like you mean it.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2001, 06:24 PM

I am sure the are . . people have to be done with stuff by now! Raul? Its been a long time!

Originally posted by iBabo:
<STRONG>anyone been working on any new themes? </STRONG>
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2001, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by crazyjohnson:
<STRONG>I am sure the are . . people have to be done with stuff by now! Raul? Its been a long time!

</STRONG>
I am working on 6 themes.. I'll probobally release my platinum theme in two days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules