Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Customizing OS X redux

Customizing OS X redux (Page 10)
iBabo
Senior User
Jul 4, 2001, 02:14 PM

i just made a boot panel for OSX for the platinum theme...came out pretty good.....its not half bad, im gonna get a login/logout screen finished, then email it to synotic to incorportate it into a metamorphX .theme file.....

edit: spelling mistake

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: iBabo ]
smile like you mean it.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by iBabo:
<STRONG>i just made a boot panel for OSX for the platinum theme...came out pretty good.....its not half bad, im gonna get a login/logout screen finished, then email it to synotic to incorportate it into a metamorphX .theme file.....
</STRONG>
cool. We should also get platinum icons to go with the theme. I really do hate the default osx icons, especially the generic folder.. so ugly, what was apple thinking?

synotic i think you remember mentioning something about platinum icons? or atleast asking someone in this forum if you could use them or whatever. well, that'd be cool, IMHO. I already have different icons, using the "technopop" set thats included with metamorphX. The platinum ones arent included with that program though.

synotic: you working on your theme today?

ps - i chekced my access_log, good god, well over 200 people checked out the screenshot that i posted in this thread... crazy.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 4, 2001, 03:11 PM

Now I'm not so sure we're having the same problem. I fixed the premultiplication thing, and now everything looks like it should -- in Carbon. For whatever reason, though, my minimize widget (which I changed from circular to triangular) looks different in the background in Carbon than it does in Cocoa. This is essentially unnoticeable against the standard Aqua stripes, but on a non-spastic background it is very annoying.
Here's how the triangle looks in the background in a Carbon application (the Finder):

And here's the same triangle under a Cocoa application (Mail):

Notice that each and every widget, including the triangular one, appears to be overlayed with a translucent white circle? I went through and made very sure I got rid of all the circular resources in the Large Minimize Widget, so it's apparently loading this circle from somewhere else... I need to know where so I can change it. If you know what's going on, please let me know! Thanks...

BTW, billybob, I have a set of Platinum icons based on an IconFactory design (they gave me permission to use it, so it's all legit) -- I think you'll like it. http://www.wpi.edu/~phoenix/icons.html

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 06:33 PM

Phoenix1701:
I might have a partial solution for you.
Did you change all three copies of the widgets? There are three resources of almost everything in the Extras.rsrc file. One "Blue" version, one "Graphite" version, and a third which is sometimes the same as Blue but sometimes a totally desaturated copy of Blue.

For example, the WindowLargeCloseBox is located at ID's 200, 10161, and 10182. Be sure to edit ALL of them to get proper results.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

themexican
Jul 4, 2001, 07:06 PM

Starfleet is right... you need to change all the widgets... (you missed the 10171-10214 series). Cocoa apps and Carbon apps share many pxms but use some exclusively in one or the other...

then again it might have something to do with the widgets not being the same shape.... If you remove all the resources with the dot and it is still showing up then you know that cocoa is special cased (like with the layo resource)...

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: themexican ]

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 4, 2001, 08:16 PM

Ah, if only it were that simple. I figured out what the problem is, but unfortunately the problem is not fixable as far as I can tell. The circle is not from another resource, it's actually from the close box. Apparently for some stupid reason Cocoa apps draw the mask on each widget twice. First they draw the mask correctly, and then they draw over it with the mask from the close widget. Even with Aqua, if you take screenshots of a Cocoa app in the background and a Carbon app in the background and examine the widget colors in Photoshop, you will find that they are different; Cocoa apps' widgets look whiter in the background than Carbon apps' do (I suspect if you made a theme with a black titlebar you'd notice this a LOT more). Thanks to Aqua's garish striping, no one notices the bug, so it never got fixed, but I temporarily changed the Close widget to a triangle and got ghostly triangles over everything instead. So annoying.
As for solutions, once we diagnosed the problem themexican and I spent over an hour trying to fix it... the only workaround (other than giving up and making all the widgets the same shape, which would defeat the purpose of this theme) seems to be making the widgets without alpha masks at all, so there's nothing to overwrite with. Unfortunately, two problems I discovered are that (1) you can't generate a totally opaque background widget, or it doesn't become translucent with the rest of the titlebar, and (2) even if you could, I suspect it would ghost a big square over your widgets instead of nothing at all, and I'm sorry but I don't feel like fiddling in Photoshop to offset this extra brightning by darkening the widgets and titlebar region underneath just enough so the Cocoa bug compensates exactly... besides, then Carbon apps wouldn't look right. Apple seems to have found the perfect way to discourage theming: build so many f***ing bugs into the GUI as to make it impossible. If anyone has ever noticed this problem before and worked around it successfully, please let me know.

And thanks anyway, Starfleet -- as it turns out, I hadn't edited those resources, so although it didn't fix the problem it's still useful information.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by themexican:
<STRONG>Starfleet is right... you need to change all the widgets...</STRONG>
Actually, I just discovered that it's worse than I had thought. I have set all of the alpha masks to what they should be in all three sets of resources, but I still get a ghosted mask from the WindowLargeCloseBox...

Odd, though, it only occurs in Cocoa apps...
grrrr...

edit:
Oops! I didn't see that last post by Phoenix1701. Arrrgg... Extras.rsrc is oh-so damned poorly organized!! There's so much redundant data and inconsistent duplicates and even totally unused resources it's like a bad joke.

Maybe Apple designed it so bad just to deter us from making themes.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 10:20 PM

starfleet and phoenix - that really, really sucks.

I wonder if apple is even aware of these problems. Its things like this that really piss me off. The more i read about X themes (havent done any myself), the more it sounds like it was designed by someone who had no idea what they were doing. The process of doing it just sounds so complicated and the extras.rsrc sounds like a complete and total mess. It should be simple, it shoiuld make sense, and carbon and cocoa should treat UI elements EXACTLY the same. No ifs ands or buts. I cant believe this. what a nightmare.

starfleet - that theme youre showing in that picture looks pretty cool, other than that ghostly X across all the cocoa widgets.. stupid apple....
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Boodlums
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2001, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
<STRONG>Now I'm not so sure we're having the same problem. I fixed the premultiplication thing, and now everything looks like it should -- in Carbon. For whatever reason, though, my minimize widget (which I changed from circular to triangular)</STRONG>
Cool... have you seen my titlebar widget ideas from back in September?
http://www.natural-innovations.com/aqua/

-Walter

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2001, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by billybob:
<STRONG>The more i read about X themes (havent done any myself), the more it sounds like it was designed by someone who had no idea what they were doing. The process of doing it just sounds so complicated and the extras.rsrc sounds like a complete and total mess. It should be simple, it shoiuld make sense, and carbon and cocoa should treat UI elements EXACTLY the same. No ifs ands or buts. I cant believe this. what a nightmare.</STRONG>
Agreed!!

Has anyone here made schemes with Kaleidoscope? I have, and I must say that they are easier to handle and FAR more customizable (well, starting with v2... v1.x schemes were fun too though). Then there's the OS8-style Appearance theme... OMG those are awful beasts to work with!

Anyway, Apple really should have looked at the design and structure of the Kal scheme format before revamping the whole interface. Since the 5D series is bringing a number of interface changes, hopefully someone fixed the aforementioned bug and filtered out the unnecessary crap in the rsrc files. C'mon Apple... please?

But I digress... back to the topic at hand!

I'm still far from a "complete" release of my theme since I'm only tinkering with OS X in the evenings (still can't get any real work done in X for now). In the mean time, though, I'd like some opinions on how I might release it later.

Extras.rsrc actually contains two themes: Blue and Graphite. Let's say, to keep this short, that I'll release blue, red, green, and grey color variations. From what I've seen here, some people like the old rainbow Apple and multi-color window widgets, but some like the uniformity and neutrality of Graphite as well. So, which way should I structure the themes?

option one
Extras1.rsrc: blue w/ mutlicolor accents & blue w/ uniform accents
Extras2.rsrc: red w/ mutlicolor accents & red w/ uniform accents
Extras3.rsrc: green w/ mutlicolor accents & green w/ uniform accents
Extras4.rsrc: grey w/ mutlicolor accents & grey w/ uniform accents

option two
Extras1.rsrc: blue w/ mutlicolor accents & red w/ mutlicolor accents
Extras2.rsrc: green w/ mutlicolor accents & grey w/ mutlicolor accents
Extras3.rsrc: blue w/ uniform accents & red w/ uniform accents
Extras4.rsrc: green w/ uniform accents & grey w/ uniform accents

I prefer the first method; it just makes more sense to me. I had originally thought about releasing each variation with grey as the alternate, much like graphite is our alternate now. Any suggestions?

Also, what do you all think about the Cocoa ghosting issue? Should I revert to a more generic shape for my widgets to hide the ghosted alpha or should I leave them and assume the bug will be fixed by Apple later on? I would really prefer to keep custom widgets, but I seriously doubt Apple will fix this since it's barely noticeable in the Aqua theme.

<anony_13>
Jul 5, 2001, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:
<STRONG>I believe that www.ResExcellence.com will be releasing a theme called glass tomorrow (Thrs.), and if Synotic will release his Platinum theme, there are two. Starfleet., if you are reading this, please e-mail me back. I have e-mailed you a couple of times and haven't heard from you.
</STRONG>
My Unlined Charcoal, Ruby and Grape, which have been out since 2 weeks after X's release. That's 3, 4, 5.
I should be not lazy and get around to releasing Lined Ruby and Grape (for those of you people that like the lines). That's 6, 7, 8

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2001, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by iBabo:
<STRONG>i just made a boot panel for OSX for the platinum theme...came out pretty good.....its not half bad, im gonna get a login/logout screen finished</STRONG>
Could you explain how you saved the PDF? Aside from grabbing a selection with the wonderfully versatile Snapz Pro X (plug plug!), I can't get anything out as a PDF. What program are you using?

<anony_13>
Jul 5, 2001, 12:17 AM

<STRONG>
What do you all think ? Should I release it via ResExcellence ?</STRONG>
With all respect to what's going on over at ResEx, I'd not release it through them.
I was elated when I got my Unlined Charcoal done. First people I e-mailed was ResEx. I got an e-mail back "We're sorry, but we won't even link to your theme. It's a nice *learning experience* for you, But apple legal will be all over you.... etc etc."
None the less this pissed me off. Fine, I DON'T need the web site that was set up for the sole purpose of what I was doing, editing.
I put up my own website, and started off with good ole version 1.0. There were a lot of things that weren't fixed yet. But for those people that wanted rid of the lines, it worked.
36k hits later, no word from apple legal :-P ResEx.

Put up your own site. Tell all of us about it, tell osx.macnn.com about it.
If enough people want to start releasing formal themes in ".theme" files for MetaMorphX (rather than Extras.rsrc files that are secretly going around the web.
I'd try to get up a site. (or atleast surrender my use of osxthemes.n3.net)

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2001, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>Well I sent everyone who asked for my theme. If you didn't get a e-mail back from me then send me a message again. BTW, if you want to report a bug it helps if you have a picture of what you are referring to. BTW, I want to show someone my theme, can someone upload a shot with my theme? Thanks,

[email protected]</STRONG>
Hi,

wonderful work. May I have a copy of this extra.rcsc file? Aqua gives me migraines. Roberto

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jul 5, 2001, 10:20 AM

Okay... I have officially changed my position regarding the theming of OS X. I love Aqua, as opposed to a number of you, but lately I have seen several screen grabs of Starfleet's Iridium theme and I am thoruoughly impressed. I want it, at least as an option, in a standard OS X install.

From a legal standpoint I have been willing to accept Apple's policy regarding OS X's appearance. I understand what they are doing, but I don't agree with it anymore. I think the goal should now be for them to drop the legal predicates and work on incorporating a theme changing package into the OS. I would go so far as to say a theme builder app, but that might be asking for too much. If apple incorporates some form of theme or element switching utility, they can still have legal grounds for the defense of OS X's look-and-feel by requiring that all themes cnform to a set of guidelines they control (i.e., the resources that are affected and the form the changes take, I don't mean as to context and content).

I'm not sure I'm saying exactly what I want to, but hopefully you smart people out there (pretty much all of you posting in this thread, at least) will get it. I am going to try and put together a more formal "proposal" to submit to the OS X feedback group.

Ciao!

PS - Starfleet, I know you're a busy guy, so you may have overlooked or simply scratched my e-mail, but i do hope to get a response at some point. Excuse my naivete, however, I had not finished reading through this thread when I sent it.
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

road2osx
Jul 5, 2001, 11:43 AM

StarFleetX:

Did you receive my mail? I haven't receive any reply from you yet~@.@
Maybe I have the Theme you made?! It looks impressive!

If you can give me that~please mail to me:

[email protected]

Thanks a lot!
--
Jack Chang, R&D Supervisor
Specialized in: Embedded System, Storage System, RAID, VHDL, C/C++ Programming

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2001, 11:51 AM

Hey starfleet, I'm sure you're probably sick of answering this but when can the rest of us get a copy of Iridium. I had a copy of the first extras.rcrs you released (before you called it iridium) and LOVED IT! Unfortunately I never backed it up and it was horribly slaughtered by a new (Aqua)Extras.rsrc when I updated to 10.0.4. And now I live in a world of horizontal stripes. Help...me......please.......

[email protected]

Thanks, you're the best. (even if you don't email me your theme)

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2001, 01:40 PM

To all you creative, kind people ;-)

I have Aqua-migraine. Can some of you kindly email me your OSX themes? I have Unlined Charcoal and that family, but they're a little "flat" to me. I'd like Starfleet and Synoptic's work, especially. I don't like "Glass" at Resexcellence.
Thanks!

Slimmy
[email protected]

<themelurk>
Jul 5, 2001, 02:41 PM

Cocoa apps draw the mask on each widget twice. First they draw the mask correctly, and then they draw over it with the mask from the close widget.

I think you sir have discovered another Cocoa theme bug. Add it to the list along with the masking problem and the layo problem. Since you seem to understand the problem best, you should report it to Apple...let's just hope they don't get all bent out shape that you were "reverse engineering" their themes.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 5, 2001, 05:12 PM

Well, despite the annoying bug, I forged ahead, and here's the final version of my widgets:

Normal:

MouseOver:

I've decided it's worth the bug, and I'm probably going to keep my widgets like this... Starfleet, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do the same, though I'll admit the bug is much more annoying in your widgets than they are on mine since your close box is an X and not a circle... look at it this way though: your theme is, I'd venture, among the most popular in existence. If the bug is annoying in your theme, more people will report it to Apple, and it'll get fixed. Let's just hope they all come up for good excuses as far as how they noticed it. Here's a legit way:
[list=1][*] Switch to the standard Aqua appearance.[*] Set your desktop picture to a solid color.[*] Open a Cocoa app and a Carbon app where all three widgets are enabled (a Finder window and a document window in TextEdit, for example).[*] Align the titlebars so they're next to each other, but not overlapping (so each title bar is the exact same color).[*] Click on the desktop to put them both in the background.[*] Grab a shot of the title bars.[*] Reboot into OS 9. (optional)[*] Open the image in Photoshop.[*] Align the two title bars in separate layers so that the close widget of one is perfectly aligned with the close widget of the other.[*] Apply a difference calculation to the two layers.[*] If the result isn't plain black (it won't be), email Apple and tell them there's a bug.[*] Switch out of Aqua before you go permanently blind.[/list=a]

Anyone want to try this and tell me what happens?

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 5, 2001, 05:19 PM

Sorry for the double post, but it seems UBB didn't want to update the thread... it knows I posted, it's just not showing the post. This fixed things last time...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by slimmy:
<STRONG>To all you creative, kind people ;-)

I have Aqua-migraine. Can some of you kindly email me your OSX themes? I have Unlined Charcoal and that family, but they're a little "flat" to me. I'd like Starfleet and Synoptic's work, especially. I don't like "Glass" at Resexcellence.
Thanks!

Slimmy
[email protected]</STRONG>
I was just about to tell you that I only do it through e-mail I hope you got it already.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2001, 01:27 PM

test...ignore

<nosotinytim>
Jul 6, 2001, 02:45 PM

Re: this thread not showing up.

Two questions:

Are you using Explorer?
Are you on a DSL line.

Sometimes for reasons unclear to me Explorer+DSL+long threads is a bad combo. The old thread is cached and you don't see the new ones. In netscape you have the same problem but if you hit refresh twice then you can see the new threads. This problem doesn't happen with dialup, and only happens with a few specific dsl companies. Note it doesn't seem to matter what the cache settings are...I think it has to do with the way your dsl company is caching and how explorer is requesting...

Let's not kill this thread yet. There's too much good info here.

<Frying Pan>
Jul 6, 2001, 02:54 PM

Does anyone know exactly which file is used by the transparent dock applescript to get rid of the dock border. I want a transparent dock with a simple one pixel border....

barbarian
Senior User
Jul 6, 2001, 04:01 PM

For anyone who has experience with Kaleidoscope working on OS X themes.

I've discovered if you want to convert a Kali scheme, the best way to do it is boot OS 9 with your Kali scheme.

Get theme checker:
http://home.mmcable.com/doghouseonline/software/

Run it and take lots of screenshots.

Then using your favorite theme editing program go through the pxms one by one and simply grab off the parts you need from the screenshots. This process really speeds up theme creation (at least for me)...

- - - - - - - - - -
Re this thread, please don't lock it, there's lots of good info here and I'd rather not have to search for it every time I want to look something up. Maybe the guys troubleshooting their themes should take over that thread and this one should be left for more general theme/customizing issues.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2001, 04:40 PM

okay people... enough is enough. :o

We have a new thread Customizing OS X 3 to post in because this one is getting slow, cumbersome, and buggy. If you don't want it locked, then at least please STOP POSTING HERE and let this thread sink to the bottom. You don't need to worry about it disappearing altogether because there's a link to it in the new thread.

I'm sure there'll be one or two whiners who want to "keep this thread alive"... the same happened in the ORIGINAL customizing thread before this one was made because the original was too big. Same situation. Let it go.

<BSD Guy>
Jul 7, 2001, 04:58 AM

I've created several themes for Gnome and would like some help porting them to OS X. Other than these forums, is there any place on the web with good step by step theme creation info?

Also, other than theminator and sprocket are there any other apps that access the pxm resources? Have all the current themes been created with these two programs?

Question: Just out of curiosity I was wondering if there is a way to set a window's transparency in the theme definition. I want to experiment with all background windows being transparent. If this is not possible, is it possible to set various parts transparent... like can I make the scroll bar tracks transparent?

slimmy
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2001, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
<STRONG>I was just about to tell you that I only do it through e-mail I hope you got it already.</STRONG>
Hi,

I think I got an announcement saying you'd email me the theme soon, but the theme's still sitting on your drive ;-(

Please send. I'd appreciate it a lot. Robert
[email protected]

barbarian
Senior User
Jul 7, 2001, 02:49 PM

&gt; if there is a way to set a window's transparency in the theme definition.

There certainly is a way to set a window's transparency but it doesn't seem to be in the theme definition.

&gt; is it possible to set various parts transparent...

I've tried a few experiments but I could only change the transparency of the window title. Trying to do the scroll bar tracks didn't work. There are still a few more things to try though.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2001, 07:20 PM

ptt]I've created several themes for Gnome and would like some help porting them to OS X. Other than these forums, is there any place on the web with good step by step theme creation info?
[/tt]Well if you want true step-by-step instructions check out:
http://www2.fwi.com/~thefreys/Xhacked/instructions.html

They were originally written by me. Basically those will do fine. However, if you want a more in depth guide check out:
http://homepage.mac.com/synotic/.cv/...ide-binhex.hqx

Also written by me. What makes this one better? Well it provides some background on themes and schemes in OS 9 and how themes started with OS X a few info on the tools. It also gives you a list of things you need and a list of where to get them. I mentioned a glossary for odd words, but unfortunatly it wasn't added. But I'll try and release an update to the guide soon. Some updates will include:

�Speeding up your theme.
�Packaging and sending your theme. This includes info about MetaMorphX and who to distribute your theme to.
�A guide on PPATs
�A guide on pre-multiplying.
�Glossary
�Tricks and tips
�As well as anything else that may be helpful.

<font face = "courier">Also, other than theminator and sprocket are there any other apps that access the pxm resources? Have all the current themes been created with these two programs?</font>

<font face = "courier">Question: Just out of curiosity I was wondering if there is a way to set a window's transparency in the theme definition. I want to experiment with all background windows being transparent. If this is not possible, is it possible to set various parts transparent... like can I make the scroll bar tracks transparent?</font>I [i]was[i] almost positive you could until I saw what barbarian said. Although I doubt that you can't do that. I am referring to make UI items transparent, not windows. I'll check later.

Hope this helps.

slimmy: You asked me from a different address not the pace.edu one.

BTW, starfleetx: Sorry about starting up this old thread again, I'll stop from now on. Anyone that wants to talk to me or anyone else write in the third Customization Thread. The revenge. I'll be posting something about freelists there soon.

<BSD Guy>
Jul 7, 2001, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info.

RE: transparency, I was looking to have a totally transparent track and a semi-transparent thumb. (ie track shows desktop image). So far the only part of a window I have successfully made transparent is the window title... but maybe I am doing something wrong. There seem to be lots of special cases.

RE: pre-multiplying someone forwarded me a pdf called Aaron's PXM Document. It was very helpful. Would be nice if someone could post this on the web. Nicer still if someone wrote an app to take a normal grey alpha and a normal picture and do the pre-multipication.

RE: Themes in general. I still have yet to see a theme 100% clear of Apple resources. I think it is very important for someone to do this, if only as a template for others.

RE: Barbarian's suggestion about taking screenshots. Thanks. This helped alot. Really speeds things up.

RE: Tabs. Thanks very much for the Platinum theme with the full tabs. These help a lot.

Unless there really is a problem with this thread it would be nice to keep it. People like me who are just starting out can learn lots by having it around. I see that other threads are up to 15 pages long... so what's the big deal?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2001, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by &lt;BSD Guy&gt;:
<STRONG>Thanks for the info.

RE: transparency, I was looking to have a totally transparent track and a semi-transparent thumb. (ie track shows desktop image). So far the only part of a window I have successfully made transparent is the window title... but maybe I am doing something wrong. There seem to be lots of special cases.

RE: pre-multiplying someone forwarded me a pdf called Aaron's PXM Document. It was very helpful. Would be nice if someone could post this on the web. Nicer still if someone wrote an app to take a normal grey alpha and a normal picture and do the pre-multipication.

RE: Themes in general. I still have yet to see a theme 100% clear of Apple resources. I think it is very important for someone to do this, if only as a template for others.

RE: Barbarian's suggestion about taking screenshots. Thanks. This helped alot. Really speeds things up.

RE: Tabs. Thanks very much for the Platinum theme with the full tabs. These help a lot.

Unless there really is a problem with this thread it would be nice to keep it. People like me who are just starting out can learn lots by having it around. I see that other threads are up to 15 pages long... so what's the big deal?</STRONG>
My platinum? If so you're welcome. All OS X themes by Michael Rabe are completely rid of any apple resources. But most people don't like them and they are supposedly buggy.

BTW, I'll try and upload a new theme template today. It is a layered photoshop file. Very useful, I base all my themes on it.

Also, there is something wrong with this thread. It doesn't update properly. That is why everyone wants you to post in this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=006527

Same thing. All the same people are in that thread.

<BSD Guy>
Jul 7, 2001, 10:02 PM

My platinum? If so you're welcome

Nope I've seen yours this one is different. This one is about 60% complete and is very close Dark Platinum for OS 9. The person who sent it told me not to distribute or post screenshots so...

Any theme template would be wonderful but I find the 'screenshot and pick off 'method works just fine.

These are the themes I'm aware of, if there are any more out there, please post:

Glass - works fine for me despite complaints here
Pastel Blue - ditto
Iridium .68 - cool
Gloss - really beautiful rounded theme
Coaltar - dark grey aqua
MetalX - metallic, maybe based on gloss?
BBX Clone -beginning of a bbx scheme clone
antistripe - aqua sans stripes
platinum - Synotic's
platinum.65 - most complete version of platinum I've seen
dplatinum - nice dark platinum maybe based on .65
qnx- just the window title really, not much else.
NeXTop - beginnings of a NeXT theme based on .65
fastAqua - seems to render faster
paper -has fat borders in Carbon apps!
Akiko's Theme- older and now buggy
MachineAge-mentioned on certain hotline boards, but I haven't actually seen it

grape, amber, cobalt, yellow, blood, ruby, pink, and so on - all simple theminator variants made with the theminator applescripts

are there any I'm missing?

<BSD Guy>
Jul 7, 2001, 10:13 PM

I forgot to mention the:

Doh-ze theme, a Win 98 theme. Again I haven't actually seen it, have just heard it mentioned.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2001, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by &lt;BSD Guy&gt;:
<STRONG> My platinum? If so you're welcome

Nope I've seen yours this one is different. This one is about 60% complete and is very close Dark Platinum for OS 9. The person who sent it told me not to distribute or post screenshots so...

Any theme template would be wonderful but I find the 'screenshot and pick off 'method works just fine.

These are the themes I'm aware of, if there are any more out there, please post:

Glass - works fine for me despite complaints here
Pastel Blue - ditto
Iridium .68 - cool
Gloss - really beautiful rounded theme
Coaltar - dark grey aqua
MetalX - metallic, maybe based on gloss?
BBX Clone -beginning of a bbx scheme clone
antistripe - aqua sans stripes
platinum - Synotic's
platinum.65 - most complete version of platinum I've seen
dplatinum - nice dark platinum maybe based on .65
qnx- just the window title really, not much else.
NeXTop - beginnings of a NeXT theme based on .65
fastAqua - seems to render faster
Paper -has fat borders in Carbon apps!
Akio's Theme- older and now buggy
MachineAge-mentioned on certain hotline boards, but I haven't actually seen it

grape, amber, cobalt, yellow, blood, ruby, pink, and so on - all simple theminator variants made with the theminator applescripts

are there any I'm missing?</STRONG>
Well I have a Titanium theme... I have seen Platinum.65.. Basically anything changed in there has been changed in my theme. I think I can safely say that mine has alot more things changed then Platinum.65 have you tried mine? Platinum.65 also seems to have this weird problem where the buttons have a line inside of them and flickers. I know exactly what the problem is and works fine on my theme. I also feel my theme is more visuall appealing. Scroll bars, menus buttons... it seems like anything that is pushed down is just darkened. I actually get the real down pictures to give it a more realistic effect. And thanks to iBabo I'll be including a Boot Panel, and Login Panel. Maybe an icon set. Also, could you please just finish up what we are talking about in the other thread *please* basically you and me are the only people looking at this thread. It doesn't update properly and is buggy, just go to the other thread.

b*tchy
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2001, 11:12 PM

Here's a vot for a BeOS theme. While it's probably impossible to do a tabbed title bar, I find the yellow hightlight really gets my attention and tells me which window is active. Might be too much with a full titlebar though...

Would also like to see this simple neutral KDE theme:
http://www.kde.org/screenshots/medium/wmaker2.jpg

cruz is also fun:
http://gtk.themes.org/php/pic.phtml?.../982030697.jpg

Would also like to see a really great dark theme with crt green lettering.

p.s: this crappy aqua ripoff is the #1 kde theme download right now:
http://kde.themes.org/php/pic.phtml?.../988335913.jpg

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2001, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by b*tchy:
<STRONG>Here's a vot for a BeOS theme. While it's probably impossible to do a tabbed title bar, I find the yellow hightlight really gets my attention and tells me which window is active. Might be too much with a full titlebar though...

Would also like to see this simple neutral KDE theme:
http://www.kde.org/screenshots/medium/wmaker2.jpg

cruz is also fun:
http://gtk.themes.org/php/pic.phtml?.../982030697.jpg

Would also like to see a really great dark theme with crt green lettering.

p.s: this crappy aqua ripoff is the #1 kde theme download right now:
http://kde.themes.org/php/pic.phtml?.../988335913.jpg</STRONG>
I'll try my best to make a BeOS theme. But could you just post in the other thread instead? The revenge.

<theme newbie>
Jul 8, 2001, 02:28 AM

Is there a place on the web with screenshot of all those themes?

Themes I'd like to see:

OS 7.1
Nextstep 4

Amadeus (kaleidoscope)
Titanium 7 (kaleidoscope)
Silencio (kaleidoscope)
Moderne (kaleidoscope)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2001, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by &lt;theme newbie&gt;:
<STRONG>Is there a place on the web with screenshot of all those themes?

Themes I'd like to see:

OS 7.1
Nextstep 4

Amadeus (kaleidoscope)
Titanium 7 (kaleidoscope)
Silencio (kaleidoscope)
Moderne (kaleidoscope)</STRONG>
The first two themes are OS 9 only. The last four *schemes* not themes are OS 9 only. Please post in the appropriate thread please. Also even if this was remotly concerning OS X themes you need to post in the third installment of this thread. The Revenge.

<theme newbie>
Jul 8, 2001, 02:56 AM

what I was saying was that I hope to see these OS 9 themes and schemes ported to X.

<brainfart>
Jul 8, 2001, 04:07 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the HIToolbox resource still has the windowshade sounds (snds 2100 and 1268)? Do we think this is just leftover debris?

Also has anyone played around with the smoo (theme smoothing) tag in the tbdf resource (20233) in the HIToolbox?

Any idea what the wctb resource in HIToolbox does?

I see a TMPL for sfn#, sfs# system font and small system font in HIToolbox. Does anyone know where the actual sfn#, and sfs# resources are stored?

Final question, have any of the people who have played with the layo resource taken into account the unique pxm#s used by cocoa? In other words are you sure cocoa ignores the layo resource or is it just that cocoa uses different pxm#s? I don't know, I've not played with this stuff myself... I've just been reading the various customizing forums.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2001, 06:04 AM

&gt;&gt;Has anyone else noticed that the HIToolbox resource still has the &gt;&gt;windowshade sounds (snds 2100 and 1268)? Do we think this is &gt;&gt;just leftover debris?

Yes.

&gt;&gt;Also has anyone played around with the smoo (theme smoothing) &gt;&gt;tag in the tbdf resource (20233) in the HIToolbox?

Don't mess around with font smoothing, it totally makes everything look like crap and is unexpected.

&gt;&gt;Any idea what the wctb resource in HIToolbox does?

I doubt it matters.

&gt;&gt;I see a TMPL for sfn#, sfs# system font and small system font in &gt;&gt;HIToolbox. Does anyone know where the actual sfn#, and sfs# &gt;&gt;resources are stored?

&gt;&gt;Final question, have any of the people who have played with the &gt;&gt;layo resource taken into account the unique pxm#s used by &gt;&gt;cocoa? In other words are you sure cocoa ignores the layo &gt;&gt;resource or is it just that cocoa uses different pxm#s? I don't know, &gt;&gt;I've not played with this stuff myself... I've just been reading the &gt;&gt;various customizing forums.

It seems as if you are very confused on this matter. Cocoa and Carbon both use the same pixmaps. As far as I know never has the changing of a pxm only appeared in a Carbon app but not in a Cocoa app. You are thinking of there being different *layos* not different pixmaps. I seriously doubt that there are different layos, I have a theory that the positions are hardwired by Interface Builder.app. BTW, tons of people have already opened the HItoolbox with resorcerer and it really is old news.

Originally posted by &lt;theme newbie&gt;:
<STRONG>What I was saying was that I hope to see these OS 9 themes and schemes ported to X.</STRONG>
Well I'm not a cryptologist.. But you really didn't say that at all. You said if anyone had screenshots of the themes.

Also, for days this thread has only gotten a couple replies because it is buggy and screwing up. Then someone opts for a new thread, all of a sudden several unregistered users come and post. If you want to talk customization go to Customizing OS X 3: The Revenge http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=006527

<b*tchy>
Jul 8, 2001, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the Platinum theme S.

Not a bad start.

Some comments:

a) the black borders seem to be to harsh for Aqua. It makes the titlebars and the scrollbars look like they are about to jump off the page. Since the other eges have no black line it's just odd looking.

b) the disabled widgets are too light. Looks strange when only one widget is enabled.

c) disabled scroll bars should match the rest of the window

d) the growbox image looks squished now that there are no fat borders.

e) the edge of the window seems to be one pixel wider than the titlebar. Maybe this is an optical illusion (because of the black border) but it looks strange.

f) the scroll bar thingys should have a middle shouldn't they? They look naked. Wait, someone is telling me it's impossible to put a center bit in there... oh well...

all of a sudden several unregistered users come and post

Some of the recent traffic is my fault. We just had an X installation party at my house and I just showed off themes to a bunch of my geeky house/office mates and they got all excited. I know Brian and Crystal just started working on themes and I'm 90% sure brainfart is Wayne (he just came in asking about all all that HIToolbox stuff a few minutes ago). Wayne if that's you I can hear you down there.

, tons of people have already opened the HItoolbox with resorcerer and it really is old news.

Hey...a show little kindness for the beginners. We all respect the work you've done with themes, but it's no need to be rude. You are going to scare off Brian before he gets going. Although maybe that's good because they will stop hogging my airport connection. Go ahead keep acting like grand poo bah.

it is buggy and screwing up

What is the problem exactly? Seems to work fine for us? Why do you care where other people post anyway?

brainfart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 02:59 PM

BTW, tons of people have already opened the HItoolbox with resorcerer and it really is old news.

Well excuuuuse me for being interested.

I actually think turning off smoothing looks kinda good with the right fonts installed. I HATE smoothing.

. . . . . .
Lisa how did you change the swiggly red spelling underline on your system? I need to change that ASAP.

b*tchy
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2001, 04:31 PM

The spelling dot is here:

System/Library/Frameworks/appKit.frameworks/Versions/C/Resources/SpellingDot.tiff

I left a copy of my improved spelling dot in your shared folder.

Nicer still if someone wrote an app to take a normal grey alpha and a normal picture and do the pre-multipication.

Usually Aarons pxm doc is forwarded with photoshop plugs that do the premultipication for you. Check your attatchments.

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: b*tchy ]

barbarian
Senior User
Jul 8, 2001, 05:52 PM

could someone forward me that photoshop plug. I'm doing more transparency experiments...and want to see if doing all the premultiplying jazz makes things work better.

brainfart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 10:29 PM

*&^%* double post

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: brainfart ]

brainfart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 10:43 PM

Has anyone here thought about approaching www.themes.org about setting up an OS X section. They have great website for theme discussion, dev, display, and distribution. While they are set up as an X Window interface site, they might be open to the idea. If not, I'd be happy to contact them....

<bsd guy>
Jul 9, 2001, 01:47 AM

I think trying to hook up with osdn & themes.org is a great idea. Let me know if you need any help. Getting hooked into themes.org would really kickstart mac os x theming.

Forum Links
Forum Rules