Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Screensaver as Desktop Picture?

OS X Screensaver as Desktop Picture?
OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 10:35 AM

I really like some of the beach and forest pictures that are included in OS X as part of the screen savers and would like to use them as my desktop picture backgrounds.

Does anyone know what format the screensaver pictures are stored in, and if so how/with what program they can be accessed?

Graphic Converter couldn't seem to handle it.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by OmniX:
<STRONG>Does anyone know what format the screensaver pictures are stored in, and if so how/with what program they can be accessed?

Graphic Converter couldn't seem to handle it.</STRONG>
IIRC, they are just TIFFs and Graphic Converter should open them just fine.

To get them, from the Finder, control-click the screensaver file and select Show Package Contents (something like that, I'm not in OSX now). Then, just dig through the hierarchy until you find the images. You'll have to copy them out of the screensaver to your home folder or somewhere else to use them as desktop pics.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

OmniX  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 12:11 PM

Muchas gracias.

Now does anyone know of a good package viewer for OS 9?
(i'm too busy to boot into X right now!)

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2001, 01:07 PM

I think the bigger question is when or if we will be able to use an OpenGL driven screensaver "as" our desktop. I really want a nice animated desktop. Haven't Linux users been able to do this for awhile? I know it would be a huge processor hog but that's why I have 2!

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Chet Ript ]

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2001, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by OmniX:
<STRONG>Muchas gracias.

Now does anyone know of a good package viewer for OS 9?
(i'm too busy to boot into X right now!)</STRONG>
Yeah -- OS 9! Control-click on the package and you'll see "Show Package Contents", just like in OS X.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2001, 01:28 PM

Why not just use the actual moving screen saver as your background image? You can get the freeware to do it here.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2001, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Chet Ript:
<STRONG>I think the bigger question is when or if we will be able to use an OpenGL driven screensaver "as" our desktop. I really want a nice animated desktop. Haven't Linux users been able to do this for awhile? I know it would be a huge processor hog but that's why I have 2!

</STRONG>
Yea. The SGI i use at work has one like that. It's called "Eater" 'cause it eats the CPU cycles.

un

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2001, 02:53 PM

Why not just use the actual moving screen saver as your background image? You can get the freeware to do it here.
Thanks. heh....yeah Scott, that's pretty slow, at least on an iBook. Oh well. That just wasted sometime at work, and it's pretty to look at. I'll have to try it on my G4 later. Word.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 05:44 PM

You'll have to copy them out of the screensaver to your home folder or somewhere else to use them as desktop pics.
I found that too inelegant a solution, so I found a different one: make symlinks or aliases from /Library/Desktop Pictures to the Images folder inside each screensaver bundle. Then they're conveniently accessible from Finder's Choose Picture panel.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

<huh?>
Jul 31, 2001, 03:21 AM

anyone get this to work with X's transition savers? (beach, forest, etc)

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2001, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by &lt;huh?&gt;:
<STRONG>anyone get this to work with X's transition savers? (beach, forest, etc)</STRONG>
If you're referring to Xback having trouble, you can try SaverLab (open a screen saver, set to 'back' mode and 'full screen'). Should work with transitions just fine. I haven't tried Xback yet, so I dunno if SaverLab is slower or anything.

Find it from http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Forum Links
Forum Rules