Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > NilObjectException

NilObjectException
nefertas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2002, 11:37 PM

My iMac froze while I was starting IE. After restarting with the paperclip method, I got a box after the machine had completely started up; I have never seen a box like it. In the box was a drawing of a light bulb and this message:
An exception of class
NilObjectExcaption was
not handled.
The application must shut down.
There is a button to click OK, and the box goes away.

I have run Disk Repair and Tech Tool Pro; neither helped. I am running 9.04.
The message shows up after numerous restarts and shut downs & restarts. Otherwise the machine seems to be running OK.
What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2002, 12:04 AM

A couple of questions...

Which OS are you running?

Do you have any apps set to launch at startup/login?

If so, which apps?

nefertas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2002, 12:19 AM

I am running OS 9.04.
After posting I realized the only program I had start at start-up was iScreen Saver. I had moved the iScreen Saver folder into the applications folder to cut down on some of the clutter in the HD. When I moved it back, the problem stopped. I guess it has to stay in its own separate folder on the HD.
Thanks for the quick response.

nefertas

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2002, 12:03 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by nefertas:
<strong>I am running OS 9.04.
After posting I realized the only program I had start at start-up was iScreen Saver. I had moved the iScreen Saver folder into the applications folder to cut down on some of the clutter in the HD. When I moved it back, the problem stopped. I guess it has to stay in its own separate folder on the HD.
Thanks for the quick response.

nefertas</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That sounds about right. More than likely, iScreen Saver is a REALbasic application. Whenever an RB app is searching for something it needs, and can't find, it crashes with a "NilObject Exception". That's why I was wondering if you had something in your Startup Folder.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2002, 01:12 AM

Hi, this isn't an iMac question, as much as it is a software question.

Moving to Classic software.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules