Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The Best Mac Web Browser?

The Best Mac Web Browser?
MacPowerbookG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 10:20 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for an alternative web browser aside from Safari. Which web browser do you use and why?

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 10:25 PM

Firefox

It's Universal (=fast on MacIntel)
It has adblock - simple, effective, comprehensive crap blocking.
It has a number of other useful plug-ins (add-ons)

Combined with OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster DNS , it's instant-fast on page loads.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2006, 10:32 PM

Blasphemy, what are the advantages of firefox over Safari?

I was quite satisfied with Safari so saFARi.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 10:58 PM

Well the OP wrote 'beside safari' so I went from there.

It has useful add-ons (for ftp, ad blocking, and many others). But apart from that, I think it's a matter of personal choice. i prefer text display on safari, but not enough to switch.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 01:31 AM

I use Safari+google reader. (normally)

but sometimes i fire up the following:
Firefox 2,
Camino (trunk)
flock

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 01:49 AM

Well, here we go again...

I use Omniweb as my main browser for the ad blocking, speed and general Mac feel. I use Safari for private browsing with SafariStand and the hack for quickening up page loading. Safari is still the fastest for me with the hack, and I can do address bar searching with SafariStand.

I still find Firefox slow (1.5 & 2.0) with both my PPC and Intel imac.
My Blog-pakos.me

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 08:25 AM

Omniweb.
we don't have time to stop for gas

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Blasphemy, what are the advantages of firefox over Safari?

I was quite satisfied with Safari so saFARi.
I second Blashphemy. FF is hands-down the best browser.

I've tried them all: Safari, Camino, Opera, SeaMonkey, and prolly others I am forgetting.

I always come back to FF for it's ability to render pages correctly, it's functionality with plugins, and most importantly (for me) ... keywords.

techtrucker
Senior User
Jan 1, 2007, 09:07 AM

Omniweb, although it's not free for me it was worth ponying up. Per-site preferences, thumbnail tabs, and Workspaces made it well worth it.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 09:10 AM

1. This is an Application question, not an OS X question--wrong forum.
2. This has already been discussed to death. Do a search.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 09:23 AM

Some things definitely are worth paying for.

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 12:41 PM

Firefox + GrApple theme for me works well.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2007, 01:02 PM

I like Camino, http://www.caminobrowser.org/

and Shiira, the japanese browser, is also cool, upcoming 2.0 version seems to be quite a nice update. http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/en

Both do really need to support the built-in Mac OS X spell checker so badly.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2007, 01:03 PM

Jeez, you could have waited until today to post this so at least we could say "at least this hasn't been discussed yet this year."
-- Jason

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2007, 02:54 AM

Firefox for stability. Safari crashes a bit, FF never yet. Because I prefer Safari's interface, I use it for non critical stuff, but when I need a bunch of open windows I can't afford to lose to crashes, it's FF.

I understand folks being upset at the no search and wrong forum issue, I also belive that people who have been with us for a shorter time need the immediacy of connection and response that asking and receiving give. It takes a while to get comfortable doing it on your own.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2007, 09:30 AM

Firefox is by far the best alternative browser. It has built-in spell check, good bookmarking system, and a better find tool that safari (sorry guys but it is great!!!)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
Firefox is by far the best alternative browser. It has built-in spell check, good bookmarking system, and a better find tool that safari (sorry guys but it is great!!!)
OMG built-in spell check?! WOW!

Umm... seems strange when something is the BEST alternative browser and so the features you cite are complete "me too" features compared to Safari

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 02:06 PM

If I couldn't use Safari, then I'd say that firefox would be my next choice and I agree the searching mechinism of FF is superior. I like the idea of having a bar at the bottom of the window to do my searches instead of a pop up window.
Michael

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2007, 11:38 PM

I like oprea because you can turn off the disk cache. I wish you could do this in Safari.

- Mark

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 12:11 AM

Camino.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
OMG built-in spell check?! WOW!

Umm... seems strange when something is the BEST alternative browser and so the features you cite are complete "me too" features compared to Safari
Especially when that feature does not even take advantage of the BUILT-IN spell check, which means no learned words or custom dictionaries.

The guys who prefer Firefox on a Mac are the same guys as the Anything-But-iPod guys. Alternative for the sake of being alternative, blind to any actual technical advantages.

Now using Firefox on Windows of course is something completely different altogether again.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2007, 06:29 AM

IMO there isn't a good browser yet. Safari looks the best, to me, but is ridiculously slow. Camino and Firefox are faster but, again IMO, aren't as aesthetically pleasing and I experience random crashing with both (more often with Firefox).

Hopefully Apple will hire someone who can help Safari handle JavaScript

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
If I couldn't use Safari, then I'd say that firefox would be my next choice and I agree the searching mechinism of FF is superior. I like the idea of having a bar at the bottom of the window to do my searches instead of a pop up window.
I also like that you can add different search engines instead of the Google one in the search box. I like being able to search IMDB, WIKI, etc.

As far as I know, this cannot be done in Safari, but can be done in Camino by fiddling with the preference files.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 09:04 AM

Firefox ... I'd say Firefox ... Did I mention Firefox ?

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 11:04 AM

I think FF is the worst. No self respecting Mac user should ever use a browser that doesn't use OSX native widgets.

Personally I think Safari and Camino are the best in the biz.
i hate project managers.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Especially when that feature does not even take advantage of the BUILT-IN spell check, which means no learned words or custom dictionaries.

The guys who prefer Firefox on a Mac are the same guys as the Anything-But-iPod guys. Alternative for the sake of being alternative, blind to any actual technical advantages.

Now using Firefox on Windows of course is something completely different altogether again.
First off let me say I have an iPod. So your theory is wrong. Anyways I use safari as my default browser. I love how you can use Safari with Onyx to customize options in safari.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 11:57 AM

Safari is slow, and doesn't have enough features.

Firefox has a lot of features, and it's fairly fast, but it's a resource whore.

Camino has speed/features like Firefox, looks better, but is still in early stages.

OmniWeb is fast, has great features, looks awesome, and is my final browser choice. It sucks you have to pay, but seriously how broke are you?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2007, 01:19 PM

Now that Camino has built in spell check I have no other uses for Safari or Firefox. Omniweb is great, but I'm not paying if there are alternatives that are just as good for free.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2007, 03:00 PM

Safari. Camino is buggy, OmniWeb isn't sufficiently better to justify the price, Firefox is clunky, ugly, buggy and slow, and Shiira just isn't quite there yet.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2007, 07:47 PM

This thread, like the other browser threads, illustrates how poor the options are for Apple, and that there isn't one clear cut winner. They all suck in their own special way. Truly sad, and inexcusable. Until Apple sales are affected I doubt it will change. When I return to the States I will be buying a PC and using Firefox.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 08:08 PM

OmniWeb.

• Awesome per-site preferences (font, font size, popup blocking, cookies, browser spoof, download location, stylesheets, etc.)
• Native cocoa application, so it looks & works like an OS X application should
• Can fully use OS X system services and spell checker
• Workspaces and snapshots for multi-window management
• Bookmark sync across multiple machines via webDAV
• No brushed metal windows
• Speed is equivalent to Safari (as far as I can tell, but my machines pretty fast anyway)

Does occasionally crash (for me about 2 times per week of heavy use), but Omni has built-in a crash reporter system much like the TalkBack system Mozilla has. And the app is updated on a fairly regular basis.

I bought a license back in the version 4 days, and I've since bought a second so I can have it running on two machines at once (checks to see if a license is already in use on the local network). Somethings are worth paying for. And its only $14 anyway.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by El Magnificante View Post
This thread, like the other browser threads, illustrates how poor the options are for Apple, and that there isn't one clear cut winner. They all suck in their own special way. Truly sad, and inexcusable. Until Apple sales are affected I doubt it will change. When I return to the States I will be buying a PC and using Firefox.
So because the Mac only has crappy browsers like Safari, IE, Camino and Firefox, you're going to switch to PC and…use Firefox? Your logic seems to be lacking.
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
First off let me say I have an iPod. So your theory is wrong. Anyways I use safari as my default browser. I love how you can use Safari with Onyx to customize options in safari.
You ought to read up on analogies

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So because the Mac only has crappy browsers like Safari, IE, Camino and Firefox, you're going to switch to PC and…use Firefox? Your logic seems to be lacking.
Yeah, that one flew past me too. Logic seems to be quite hard for some people.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 09:03 PM

Yeah, doesn't quite make sense.

Firefox for Windows is different from Firefox for Linux is different from Firefox for MacOS exactly how?

Of course, you could always use Internet Explorer

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2007, 09:41 PM

A quick hack in the terminal makes Safari the fastest in my opinion.

Quit Safari and type "defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.0001" without the quotes. Start up Safari and hold on tight...

I think El Magnificante may forget that a browser does not an OS make...
My Blog-pakos.me

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2007, 09:11 AM

While I prefer OS X to Windows, I have a web-based business that requires me to be online with several browser windows/tabs open simultaneously. Firefox under Windows has been the best performer, sadly.

chrisdisregard
Jan 5, 2007, 12:26 AM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:14 PM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
OmniWeb is fast, has great features, looks awesome, and is my final browser choice. It sucks you have to pay, but seriously how broke are you?
Yes, it has really crippled me financially that I have spent a grand total of $30* for using every single version of it in the nearly 6 years since I first moved to OS X ($20 initial cost for version 4.1 as an academic, and $10 for the upgrade to version 5)... Especially, when it was the most feature-filled browser of the lot (and by a huge margin) when OmniWeb 5.0 was first released. It has taken Firefox almost 2 years to catch up in terms of the extensions available to replicate most of the features and exceed some of them, but the usability of FF still leaves a lot to be desired on the Mac.

Anyway, OmniWeb on the Mac, Firefox on the PC. For me, Safari is only usable if I have Safaristand installed.

* It may be $40 if the 4.5 version was a paid update, but I forget...
( Last edited by JKT; Jan 5, 2007 at 12:04 PM. )

simdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 12:25 PM

I think this is true with most browsers but I'm using Safari right now so I'll comment on it. Quit Safari and launch the activity monitor (or top in a terminal). Launch Safari and check the real memory being using. It's fairly low. Open and close pages etc. After a couple hours, Safari is eating over 200 MEG of memory even if every window is closed. I assume it's caching for speed if you go to the same page again?

If you run 10-15 applications, eventually you'll start to see memory paging out which will slow your system down. I usually can free up real memory by just quitting and relaunching Safari. Are there any browsers that handle memory better?

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 03:38 PM

I like each for different reasons, but my day-to-day browser is OmniWeb. The thumbnail tabs and saved state features are well worth the price of admission.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 03:42 PM

I mainly use Safari, but since I design and produce web pages, I use FF 2.
The extensions are a must-have and turn it into an excelent browser!

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
Quit Safari and type "defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.0001" without the quotes. Start up Safari and hold on tight...
what does this do?

misterdna
Jan 6, 2007, 02:22 AM

In the past few years, I've only used Firefox and Safari (no hacks or customizations to either -- I'm not that clever). I find Firefox seems to render most websites more accurately and have generally less problems. I prefer Safari when actually downloading files (as it doesn't pause like Firefox). However, Firefox seems to play movie files faster and better than Safari.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2007, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
what does this do?
It tells Safari to start rendering the page quicker. There's a built-in delay to give it time to parse external resources (CSS, Javascripts) to avoid that "flash of unstyled text" that you'll sometimes get on slow-loading sites, and that command basically sets the delay to 0.
Chuck
___

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 6, 2007, 06:32 AM

nice tip!, thanks.

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2007, 09:18 PM

Well that did it. Went to build an M5 at BMW and Safari can't render it

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 09:24 PM

Are you talking about the Car Configurator? I just did the same thing and it rendered just fine for me.

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 01:33 PM

Build Your Own on www.bmwusa.com

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 01:56 PM

What browser are you trying to use? Worked fine for me under Camino 1.1a1.

Change your world and you will change your mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules