Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Law suit against Apple over LCD display?

Law suit against Apple over LCD display?
m i k e
Jul 7, 2007, 03:55 AM

From Macbook pro: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Apple has been accused of supplying sub-standard LCD display hardware with their Macbook Pros. While Apple marketing claims that the display is capable of 8-bit RGB with millions of colors, they are using 6-bit LCD screens that only provide 262,000 colors natively with dithering to simulate millions of colors. This is a fairly common process for laptop manufacturers. However, a problem has been noticed with their dithering routine that can create artifacts during the display of gradients in images, which is inconvenient for graphic artists. The problem manifests only on the internal LCD display and not on external monitors. [22] There is a class action law suit underway. [23]"
Has anyone noticed this issue and do you think Apple is going to end up changing anything with the display? Should I wait to order my MacBook Pro?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 06:59 AM

Do a search and you'll notice a few threads on this subject.

I bought a MBP knowing that information and it has not bothered me on iota. If you need (or want) a MBP, get one. Besides the class action suit is going to have only one out come. The lawyers get rich, oh we'll get a coupon for 25 dollars good towards our next purchase but that's all we typically get on these class action suits.

I have no regrets with MBP, its an awesome machine and well built, while the display does appear to be 6 bit, the dithering technology makes it difficult to see it under normal circumstances

PaperNotes
Jul 7, 2007, 08:20 AM

Thousands upon thousands of graphic artists, photographers, designers and video editors use 6 bit displays with the same dithering. When you are facing the screen head on, dithering produces a very good simulation of what the final printed output looks like. If it didn't there would be a lot of substandard design work around the world right now full of large artifacts.

Those who are complaining about the artifacts are looking at the screen from a very wide angle. It's pointless because dithering doesn't need to produce an accurate simulation at that angle. You're supposed to be working directly in front of your screen, face on.

m i k e  (op)
Jul 7, 2007, 02:10 PM

It seems to say however, that there is a problem with the "dithering routine." Is that actually the case?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 07:23 PM

I don't see any problem with the dithering routine. I think people are upset that there is dithering at all. When they bought the MacBook Pro (or the MacBook) it was advertised as being able to display millions of colors. That wasn't true. I'm not sure why apple decided to opt for 6bit displays over 8bit but now they got caught.

As I said, I bought the mbp knowing full well of the issue and to be honest as I work with images and aperture and photoshop it is difficult to tell the difference.

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by m i k e View Post
From Macbook pro: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Has anyone noticed this issue and do you think Apple is going to end up changing anything with the display? Should I wait to order my MacBook Pro?
I too was going to hold off buying a new MBP over this until I found out a couple of things about 6-bit vs 8-bit:
1) Many other notebooks are also using 6 bit displays.
2) The refresh time is much faster on a 6 bit display. If you had an 8-bit display and watched movies or played games on it, you might be disappointed.

I'm getting my new MBP in about 2 weeks.

Here is a review of the new MBP LED display vs older MBP displays.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8741-9027

- Mark

jtrwallace
Jul 8, 2007, 04:54 AM

the displays on the new mbps are amazing. nothing short of stunning. these people found a loop hole and are exploiting it. some guy at apple f'ed up. so what. the display is the most beautiful ive ever seen and whenever i show my mbp to people the first thing they say is omg the colors and the brightness on your screen are amazing. so i would not worry about it. this screen is leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of the ones out there. those two little bits dont worry me

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I'm not sure why apple decided to opt for 6bit displays over 8bit but now they got caught.
Perhaps it's because MOST LAPTOP DISPLAYS ARE 6 BIT. THEY ALWAYS HAVE BEEN.

8 bit laptop displays are only now just starting to be used, and they're still extremely expensive compared to the 6 bit ones.

The lawsuit is not about them using 6 bit panels. It's about false advertising. Primarily saying the displays provide "a nuanced view simply not available on other platforms."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2007, 05:43 PM

I don't think anyone doubts that Apple is using industry average panels. But they're advertising them as something they're not, and they should get nailed for it along with every other OEM who has done this.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I don't think anyone doubts that Apple is using industry average panels. But they're advertising them as something they're not, and they should get nailed for it along with every other OEM who has done this.
Everyone seems to think that Apple is getting sued for using 6 bit panels, but they're not. The suit is over "false advertising"

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 07:22 PM

And I think everyone in this thread has been saying that

Forum Links
Forum Rules