Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Software F.ING Base Station!!!!!!

Software F.ING Base Station!!!!!!
Tuff Johnson 4.0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2002, 10:22 PM

Ok, I know......this has been covered again and again. But I've tried it AGAIN AND AGAIN and nothing works, nothing makes sense, and I can't surf the web with my new iBook unless I boot into 9. Could someone please (like they were explaining to a monkey) tell me how to set this up in X. I've used IPNetShareX and it's still an overly geeked interface that I don't understand. The setup file explains things like EVERYONE MUST KNOW WHAT THIS IS....GEEZ, WHAT ARE THEY STUPID? No. But I do have it in mind to fly to California and punch SJ in the face a few hundred times for deciding not to include this feature. Please. Please. Please make my pain go away.

G4 400 AGP
DSL through a Lynksys Router
Airport cards in both my G4 and iBook.
The Router is set to DHCP and my G4 is set to DHCP

This is all I know.

Thank you.
(sorry about the whiny tone of this post....just frustrated as hell)

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2002, 10:29 PM

Did you check out <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13335&db=mac" target="_blank">this</a> thing?

Lordx_
Forum Regular
May 28, 2002, 10:42 PM

I believe that Brickhouse allows you to set up a software baseststion in OS X. search versiontracker for it.

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
May 28, 2002, 11:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by AKcrab:
<strong>Did you check out <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13335&db=mac" target="_blank">this</a> thing?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Ahhh......thankyou That worked. End of my temper tantrum. You the best!

g. olson
Forum Regular
May 29, 2002, 01:18 AM

I've been using a G4/iBook airport network with software base station for some time now. It is almost trouble free. It does seem that from time to time I have to rename my my airport network on the G4 for no apparent reason. Also, occasionally I have to log out and log back in on the iBook to restore a dropped connection. Otherwise, it is really slick sharing a broadband internet connection anywhere I want around the house! Glad you got your problem figured out.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" - Emerson

Forum Links
Forum Rules