Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Migration Assistant less good?

Migration Assistant less good?
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2016, 01:54 PM

Migration Assistant has been a feature of the new Mac experience since forever and was seen as a thing of wonder by switchers and other new mac users. Over the years it has seemed pretty much bullet proof (OK apart from wireless migration). Plug, fire up, migrate.

Is it just me or has it become pretty hit and miss lately. The last three machines I've migrated have all failed. Two seemed to complete successfully but when logging into the transferred user account no actual data (or applications) were transferred despite it taking a few hours to run while the third ended up in a loop with the mac restarting and MA restarting the process.

It's not just that. Behaviour during migration seems very random, sometimes the mac restarts mid migration, sometimes not. Sometimes it seems to finish then try to resume after logging in. Sometimes the mac doesn't restart.

How has this software got to be so flakey? Or is it just me?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 10, 2016, 02:47 PM

I don't migrate a lot. Maybe a dozen in the last decade, mostly on friends' machines. But every migration worked as expected.

Forum Links
Forum Rules