Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Welcome to the future. And it's not hfs+

Welcome to the future. And it's not hfs+
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2017, 05:13 PM

Well that was a surprise. On a point update Apple rolls out APFS based on BtrFS but with some ad ons!
That sounds fab. A modern file system!!

Seems they buried the part about it not reading disks created with OS's older than Yosemite! I can see that causing a few panics!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Ham Sandwich
Mar 27, 2017, 05:34 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:36 AM. )

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2017, 05:44 PM

The new file system for macOS 10.12.4 is APFS. It's the only instal option you get so once you have either updated or clean installed with it then you'll be running an APFS disk and be unable to read any hfs+ volumes not created as CoreStorage logical volume groups.

P
Mar 27, 2017, 05:51 PM

APFS is not based on Btrfs, it is a brand new filesystem sharing some code with CoreStorage and some design principles with Btrfs, but it is not based on it. Btrfs is GPL and can not be included in the kernel.

And where did you see that macOS converts drives to APFS? IOS 10.3 does, but AFAIK, macOS does not support booting from APFS yet. And removing support for HFS+? Why?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 27, 2017, 05:51 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:37 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2017, 05:53 PM

APFS doesn't show up as an option in Disk Utility's "Erase" tab, so I'd say probably not.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Thorzdad
Mar 27, 2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Seems they buried the part about it not reading disks created with OS's older than Yosemite! I can see that causing a few panics!
No kidding. How would someone recover files in that case?

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
That did not answer my question.

In Disk Utility, it says that my partition is formatted as

Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)

it does not say APFS.

So, does this mean that my current partition is not already formatted as APFS? How do I know if I'm running APFS? And I don't need to wait until 10.13 in case if I wanted to, say, wipe macOS clean, I would have the option to start over with APFS?

Also, do I have to do the same to iOS 10.3, or did the update automatically convert my iPod's file layout to APFS as well in the upgrade?
If you are running 10.12.4 you are running APFS. That's the only option. It doesn't seem to say specifically anywhere but it's the native file system for 10.12.4. I guess you can run an older installer and revert the drive back to hfs+ if you want to reinstall 10.12.3 but as far as I can see its APFS all the way in 10.12.4

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
with rather more difficulty that you would want I guess.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 27, 2017, 06:39 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:37 AM. )

P
Mar 27, 2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
If it ever comes to this:

https://osxfuse.github.io
https://github.com/0x09/hfsfuse

But I very much doubt it. It took over a decade from the release of HFS+ for Apple to deprecate writing to HFS, and they still allow reading from it. From 10.12 there is a warning that this is now unsupported, but that is 19 long years after HFS+ replaced it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2017, 07:17 PM

If you are running 10.12.4 you are running APFS. That's the only option. It doesn't seem to say specifically anywhere but it's the native file system for 10.12.4. I guess you can run an older installer and revert the drive back to hfs+ if you want to reinstall 10.12.3 but as far as I can see its APFS all the way in 10.12.4
This does not appear to be true:

( Last edited by CharlesS; Mar 27, 2017 at 07:30 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2017, 02:35 AM

My internal SSD on this late 2016 Touch Bar 15" MBP is still "Journaled HFS+".

I'm running 10.12.4.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2017, 09:48 AM

Seems the couple of sites I grazed over got that bit wrong. Hopefully the reading hfs+ disks will be wrong as well.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2017, 03:43 PM

Seems the couple of sites I grazed over got that bit wrong. Hopefully the reading hfs+ disks will be wrong as well.
macOS can still read (albeit not write) HFS, a format which was obsolete almost twenty years ago. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules