Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 802.1X issue

802.1X issue
Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2007, 05:54 PM

I've got a user on my network that is having problems with his MacBook Pro.

In a nutshell, the wireless adapter is trying to get an address via DHCP before it authenticates using 802.1X. The result is he gets a 169.254 address and then 5 minutes later, as per the RFC, DHCP is tried again and he gets the correct address.

What I'm looking for is a method to delay DHCP until the wireless adapter has authenticated.

Any insights?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2007, 08:48 PM

Doesn't authentication have to be related to the adapter? How can the adapter be identified if it doesn't get an IP address-and thus register its MAC address?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Scarpa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2007, 01:30 AM

ahh good point. I wonder why the adapter is assigning itself an address then, it must not be seeing the AP at first. If you give it the 5 minutes, it'll fix itself automatically.

Could it be related to the zeroconf stuff?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2007, 10:28 PM

More likely it's just being slow. How's that computer's signal strength? Does the user get good speeds once he's connected?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Scarpa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2007, 12:54 PM

I think everything is fine once he's connected. There's another MacBook Pro user who has no issues. I would poke around on the Mac itself more, but the upper management here is lame and doesn't want me "wasting time" on it.

I'm going to pick up a MacBook for myself as soon as Leopard ships so I guess I'll experiment more when I have my own machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules