Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > To XP or to Vista, that is the question; whether it is nobler to suffer without

To XP or to Vista, that is the question; whether it is nobler to suffer without
goplacia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 03:39 PM

I am a long time Mac user getting ready to purchase a Mac Book Pro with the release of Leopard. I am interested in installing windows on this machine mainly so that I can use it with a GPS device that does not work very good on a mac. Does any one have a recommendation as to which version of windows (XP or Vista) is right for a Mac person who is easily irritated any time I have to use a windows machine.

....To xp or to vista, that is the question; whether it is nobler to suffer without

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 16, 2007, 03:50 PM

Vista is pretty but hogs resources and doesn't bring much more than a pretty face to the table. XP has been kept up as a very capable, very stable, and very secure OS. And XP is loads cheaper! There's little about the XP interface to really annoy you, and if it's just for a few apps, XP won't suck up everything in the computer and leave you hanging. That's how I'd go.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2007, 04:00 PM

For the use you specified definitely go with XP. Device support is spotty in Vista.

goplacia  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks, it seems pretty clear, from what your saying, it seems Vista is not there yet. Who wants a slow computer and If device support is spotty, then vista doesn't make any sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules