Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Leopard airport not getting new IP address

Leopard airport not getting new IP address
senseigmg
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2007, 11:29 AM

At my hospital we have wireless throughout the hospital. My powerbook 1.33ghz on leopard gets an ip address assigned, but cannot connect to the internet. In the network diagnostics, my ISP, Internet, and Server fail. I highly doubt it is the router, as I moved to a new building about 2 blocks away and it still assigns me the same IP address and cannot connect to the internet. How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 02:03 PM

Try:

1. DHCP renew

2. Switch locations

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2007, 02:05 PM

neither do anything. have tried:
reboot
reboot into safe mode
trash prefs
diff location
using different user
some other stuff i cant remember right now.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2007, 04:13 PM

1. What IP Address are you assigned?

2. Is this supposed to be public/open such that anyone can just hop on and get Internet access? Some access points, while open, don't necessarily allow internet access just because you can join in.

3. Are other computers able to get on without problems? Is there anything special with their setup perhaps? Maybe they needed to pre-register so they could get Internet access?

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2007, 04:15 PM

its a guest access wireless network, for anybody to use. My friend's ipod touch and powerbook on leopard both can get on without a problem. it is a 10.250.xxx.xxx address from a cisco router i believe. no pregistration involved.

S_J
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2007, 12:16 PM

Have you tried setting a manual IP address? Some networks won't allow you to connect by using a manual IP address, but it's worth a shot.

You may also want to ensure that you have some good DNS servers set. It may be that your DNS server (or lack thereof) are preventing your machine from resolving hostnames. Check out OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet for reliable DNS servers.

What happens when you try to 'ping 64.223.167.99' (a google server)? If at all possible try connecting via ethernet and see if the problem persists.

Again, just try clicking on Renew DHCP a bunch of times and see if that helps.

Good luck.
Sincerely,
SJ
Security Generation- Mac OS X and Network Security News, Articles and Forums
http://www.securitygeneration.com

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2007, 12:35 PM

pinging doesnt work, I get no route to host

My network settings are:
Using DHCP
IPV4: 10.201.220.104
Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
Router: 10.201.220.2

DNS Servers:

The other weird thing is that I can see my friend's powerbook in the shared section of finder, but it will not connect.

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2007, 12:45 PM

Plugging into the ethernet gives me a self assigned 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address.

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2007, 01:26 PM

I have looked at the settings on my friend's powerbook, and we have made them exactly the same; still no Internet.

I can also see his Itunes folder, but cannot connect to it.

SJR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2007, 11:49 AM

I have just bought a brand new MacBook Pro, running Leopard (OSX 10.5.1) and I just cannot get it to connect to the Wireless Network at my workplace. The MBP connects to wireless network and authenticates just fine, but will not obtain an IP address from the DHCP server.

The wireless network consists of 16 Cisco Aironet 1200 Access Points controlled by a Cisco Wireless Network Controller. It does not broadcast its SSID and is WEP 128-bit hex protected.

Changing the network from WEP to WPA is out of the question for me as this is under the control of my customers IT Department and they do not have any problems with their PCs connecting to the network. It appears to be an Apple issue.

For reference, my old Vaio PC, my Nokia N95 and my iPod Touch ALL connect to the same wireless network without any problems whatsoever, first time, every time!

If I boot into Windows XP from my Boot Camp partition, XP can connect wirelessly to the network without any problems, so it is not MacBook hardware related...

It has to be a bug in Mac OSX... doesn't it?!?

Things I have already tried (following suggestions on many forums):
* Switching Airport off/on
* Deleting various network-related Plist files and rebooting
* Manually assigning an IP Address (not really permitted but doesn't work anyway!)
* Disabling all network adaptors except Airport

AP Grapher shows that the MBP is connected to the wireless network, at good strength, and packets are being sent and received, but Internet Access is not possible as no IP Address has been assigned. Instead, my MBP shows a 169.* IP Address (self-assigned). It should be a 10.1.255.* address.

Looks as if there is a lot of people with this problem!

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2007, 12:47 PM

what makes no sense to me is how I can see other computers on my network, that can connect to the internet fine, but mine cannot.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by senseigmg View Post
pinging doesnt work, I get no route to host
So you're unable to ping any of the hosts on the network? For example, the router/gateway or your friend's computer?

Short of doing tcpdump, I'd be curious to know what your firewall settings are. You have no programs like Little Snitch enabled that's filtering your connections somehow? Or maybe a 3rd party firewall?

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2007, 08:58 AM

Firewall is disabled, I also had little snitch, turned it off, uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and tried with it off again.

Also, this ONLY happens at my workplace. I was at 2 different coffee shops on sunday and the wireless worked fine, even with one network that required me to enter a username (caribou coffee).

How do I do a tcpdump?

Also, why am I not able to change my IP?

Another thing, when I type in 10.201.220.103 into safari (not my IP), it almost went to the Cisco Web Authentication page (title changed on title bar), but then said "you are not connected to the internet"

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2007, 08:25 PM

This is the reply I received from the head of our bioelectronics department:

"I think that there is a setting on your MAC that is probing all open port. This causes a huge amount of network traffic. It is my guess that you have been disconnected from the network due to this fact. It may have to do with a setting that allows you to connect automatically to your home network. I am not very knowledgeable in the Mac world, but if so, we have seen this before. Before your Mac is allowed onto the guest network, this setting issue needs to be addressed. If you have any other ideas, let me know. "

senseigmg  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2007, 04:40 PM

So I got a resolution today:

BACK TO MY MAC!

I had it off and joined the network while on the phone with our network staff. He got me connected again, then asked me to turn back to my mac on. Direct quote from him "Holy port scan!" He was saying that it is scanning all 65K ports, and floods the firewall, so it was probably blocked.

I hope this can help somebody else who is having problems on leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules