Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bad Powerbook/Apple Store Experience

Bad Powerbook/Apple Store Experience
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2004, 12:48 PM

Rather than repost the whole thing I'll just link to my blog. Its a little long.

http://gomac.blogspot.com/2004/06/ap...ks-part-2.html

Little steamed right now...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2004, 01:00 PM

Wow.

I've never been to an Apple Store for a repair...the Cleveland-area Apple Store is clear on the other side of town. I've only dealt with the 1-800-SOS-APPL people and they were pretty nice and took care of my older iBook problems (noisy hard drive) and TiBook problems (loose power connector) quickly.

Of course, I was without my machines for two 2-day stretches but the fixes were good. Give calling Apple direct a shot.

Voch

Ciber
Jun 15, 2004, 01:00 PM

Talk to a manager at the store.

I was treated like a stupid kid also yesterday by the geniuses. I called a manager at the store today and explained everything to him over the phone and he told me to come over and he'll give me a new machine.

vinster
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Rather than repost the whole thing I'll just link to my blog. Its a little long.

My friend's had his mother buy him a 17" from an Apple store when she was in the states earlier this year because the dollar/pound exchange rate was so good and had the same kind of experience. Bad treatment by the sales rep. and my friend ended up with the display model which had cosmetic damage and a manufacture date six months prior to when it was purchased. No discount or anything. I think she was taken advantage of.

I've never been to a retail Apple store and don't plan on going to one either. I buy from the online Apple store and will deal with phone support if I ever have a problem.

...too many smart-ass underpaid jerko's in retail it seems.

winwintoo
Jun 15, 2004, 09:25 PM

It feels good to share your pain.

We don't have an actual Apple store, but we do have an Apple reseller. Did you know that just before Apple makes a major change in their lineup they dump the previous inventory into the reseller chain dirt cheap and the resellers are then allowed to sell these old machines at new machine prices until they're all gone?

I bought a 15" iMac in a sealed box for the same price as it is advertised on the Apple Canada web site at this local reseller on May 20, 2004. I took it home, plugged it in and found that it had OS 10.2.7 loaded on it.

When I called the store to ask how that could be they said I would have to download the updates from the Apple site and if I wanted Panther I would have to buy it.

When I called Apple they helpfully looked up the serial number and informed me that the build date on the computer was 6 days prior to the release of Panther and the automatic upgrade had expired at the end of January.

I ended up buying Panther and after installing it, the machine wouldn't boot at al. The store suggested that Apple's excellent technical support would be able to help me get it working - like I have nothing better to do.

Everyone I talked to at Apple and at the store kept reminding me that I had bought "an old machine" - I have Apple hardware that is 15 years old that still boots - age has nothing to do with it not working.

When I put it back in the box and took it back to the store, they wanted to charge me a re-stocking fee. During our brief conversation, the clerk glanced up and noticed that people were rapidly backing away from us and the manager was standing behind me frantically waving his arms. Suddenly, there was no re-stocking fee.

The next day, I got a call from Apple customer service wanting my street address so they could send me a "free" Panther upgrade cd for my "new" computer.

I wonder if he had to roll it up before inserting it or if it would just slide right in

m

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2004, 10:04 PM

A lot of the little kid treatment comes from a vast majority of people out there that buy computers and can barely turn them on themselves. Yes, this is more in the PC's for $499 market... but there are still plenty of little fools dragging themselves in the Apple Stores.

A lot of people from my classes and friends call me with their "computer problems"... the problem is they don't take 5 minutes and try to think for themselves... I think that if I were an Apple Store employee I would *try* to be professional, but after a few weeks or a month or two, I would just stop with the crap and treat everyone like the majority, people with money and little for brains.

This of course however gives no excuse for outright bad treatment.
yep.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2004, 07:18 AM

That sucks man, I'd go and speak with the store manager and get this documented in some way or form. Best case scenario is your machine comes back with all the problems fixed, but if you send your machine in next time and they something about the latch being tampered with, you know who to point your finger at.

Just based on experience, it's best to go online to Apple Support read up on hardware issues you might have and follow their diagnostics directions. That way when you call up tech support and get a work order filled out with any hassle. A lot of Apple stores (or at least that is what I was told from the employees) do not do repairs in house, so its just the equivalent of sending your machine off directly, that and you never have to leave the house.

On the whole I feel that people working at Apple stores are more competent than say guys working at CompUSA or Best Buy. But in the end they are all retail stores, and if youve ever worked retail or had friends that work retail in your earlier days you know their pay is crap.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2004, 11:27 PM

AppleStore Tokyo was great, as was Galleria Cambridge, MA... however, there's this one idiot at AppleStore NorthShore, he managed to PO not only me but several others at the Genius desk... a pompous ass... and this on two occasions, one year apart!
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
AppleStore Tokyo was great, as was Galleria Cambridge, MA... however, there's this one idiot at AppleStore NorthShore, he managed to PO not only me but several others at the Genius desk... a pompous ass... and this on two occasions, one year apart!
I actually has a pretty good experience at the apple store in the Northshore. I forgot my power adapter, and one of the guys emailed me letting me know. My ibooks hd was noisy and he didn't hesitate to replace it. It got sent out and back within a couple days.

My current powerbook's : key is messed up so I have to take another visit to the store to get the keyboard replaced.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 08:10 AM

That sucks. Everyone should be treated equally as a customer. The price of the hardware shouldn't matter. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect.
I have noticed that at my local Apple Store they treat people who actually have a Mac 'better' than someone who doesn't. I kind of feel forced to start a conversation with 'I have a PowerBook ... ' in order to be treated and helped properly, which kinda sucks ...
But nevertheless they always give the right advise / solution !!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 09:39 AM

That is a real bummer. If you do have problems with an Apple, or any other product for that matter, I think the best course of action is to just document everything, and be nice. You can get really far be just keeping your cool, and if necessary, ask for the next higher-up person on the food chain at Apple.

Every Apple Store I have been to has been staffed with extremely knowledgeable, friendly, no-pressure, sales staff. It is one reason I tell people to go there to look at the machines in a nice environment.

Getting pissed off on the phone or making a scene in a store never works....I tried it!

In the end, if they still are screwing you, go to the Better Business Bureau and report the problem.

Good luck!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Slayed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 12:52 PM

Sounds like people with problems need to start placing complaints with the Better Business Bureau. I think that would help motivate them to improve their service, or at least show Apple that they are having problems with their stores.

Originally posted by goMac:

( Last edited by Slayed; Jun 21, 2004 at 01:22 PM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 01:58 PM

I felt that I had to post here after my experience this past weekend. Just to have some background I'm 22 years old and have a slight beard which automatically makes me look 3-5 years older. I went in knowing I was going to be purchasing a G5 dual 1.8 with my ed discount, so we (my uncle and I) were pretty much set. When going in the Santa Monica store, none of the Apple dudes were helping us out. I figured it might be because I look like the 50 million other students that mess around with the computers there, so I flaged some dude down and started to ask questions. I really wanted the older 1.8 dual (with a price cut) but came to the conclusion that they had none in stock so we were ready to go with the new 1.8 dual, at this point the original rep was helping another person while we were contimplating. As soon as we had mentioned that were interested in purcashing the dual 1.8, all of a sudden all other Apple associates were asking us if we needed help, and when we mentioned that we already spoke to "so and so" and were trying to find him, the associates would just leave without even helping us find "so and so".

The whole time I was there, I asked questions to see where these guys thought of customers, like how much do you charge for RAM? and how do other stores compare in price? He gave me outrageous prices for RAM and told me just about everywhere esle would be very close in price, if not higher, BULL$H!T.

Second I asked how the printers with rebates were and which he would recommend, and he constantly recommended the highest priced printers even though I told him beforehand that I wouldn't be printing pictures, and just about all the things I'd use it for would probably be for the usual College Essays, BULL$H!T.

Third while getting our computer and printer to the register he took it upon himself to include a USB wire in the purchase because the printer doesn't come with one, when I asked how much it was he replied $25 and continued to checkout with wire in hand. I got offended that he didn't ask if we wanted it and just figured we'd fork over $25 for a freakin USB device cable, BULL$H!T.

And lastly, when picking up the machine in the rear pick up area, the guy took forever (which I didn't mind seeing how it was sort of a busy day), and when he came and took our card. He left to the front about two feet away from my feet was some other peoples orders which included
-23"HD Apple Cinema
-Dual 2.5 G5
-Three Dual 1.8 G5's
-Two eMacs (one combo, one superdrive)
-One iBook (14" 1.2ghz)
You might wonder how I was able to identify all these things so well, basically because the guy just left us in the doorway and went to the front of the store for no less then 5 Min. How could you just leave things of that value that other people have just bought infront of the door and leave total strangers alone with them in the doorway with their car parked within three or four feet from them for 5 minutes with an open trunk and engine running? If only I wasn't proud of being a decent human being and knowing right from wrong.

Seems that Apple stores went from showing people how great Mac's are, and instead are trying to inject people with false claims, while drawing as much money from the buyers wallet as possible. I'll stick with online Apple deals from now on, I don't need some punk kid whos about the same age as me lying to me and sitting on his high horse because he wears a black shirt with an Apple logo, I'll still visit of course but only to use the WiFi and check out new products.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

bighead
Senior User
Jun 21, 2004, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
-Dual 2.5 G5
Funny, I didn't think these had shipped, yet.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I felt that I had to post here after my experience this past weekend. Just to have some background I'm 22 years old and have a slight beard which automatically makes me look 3-5 years older. I went in knowing I was going to be purchasing a G5 dual 1.8 with my ed discount, so we (my uncle and I) were pretty much set. When going in the Santa Monica store, none of the Apple dudes were helping us out. I figured it might be because I look like the 50 million other students that mess around with the computers there, so I flaged some dude down and started to ask questions. I really wanted the older 1.8 dual (with a price cut) but came to the conclusion that they had none in stock so we were ready to go with the new 1.8 dual, at this point the original rep was helping another person while we were contimplating. As soon as we had mentioned that were interested in purcashing the dual 1.8, all of a sudden all other Apple associates were asking us if we needed help, and when we mentioned that we already spoke to "so and so" and were trying to find him, the associates would just leave without even helping us find "so and so".

The whole time I was there, I asked questions to see where these guys thought of customers, like how much do you charge for RAM? and how do other stores compare in price? He gave me outrageous prices for RAM and told me just about everywhere esle would be very close in price, if not higher, BULL$H!T.

Second I asked how the printers with rebates were and which he would recommend, and he constantly recommended the highest priced printers even though I told him beforehand that I wouldn't be printing pictures, and just about all the things I'd use it for would probably be for the usual College Essays, BULL$H!T.

Third while getting our computer and printer to the register he took it upon himself to include a USB wire in the purchase because the printer doesn't come with one, when I asked how much it was he replied $25 and continued to checkout with wire in hand. I got offended that he didn't ask if we wanted it and just figured we'd fork over $25 for a freakin USB device cable, BULL$H!T.

And lastly, when picking up the machine in the rear pick up area, the guy took forever (which I didn't mind seeing how it was sort of a busy day), and when he came and took our card. He left to the front about two feet away from my feet was some other peoples orders which included
-23"HD Apple Cinema
-Dual 2.5 G5
-Three Dual 1.8 G5's
-Two eMacs (one combo, one superdrive)
-One iBook (14" 1.2ghz)
You might wonder how I was able to identify all these things so well, basically because the guy just left us in the doorway and went to the front of the store for no less then 5 Min. How could you just leave things of that value that other people have just bought infront of the door and leave total strangers alone with them in the doorway with their car parked within three or four feet from them for 5 minutes with an open trunk and engine running? If only I wasn't proud of being a decent human being and knowing right from wrong.

Seems that Apple stores went from showing people how great Mac's are, and instead are trying to inject people with false claims, while drawing as much money from the buyers wallet as possible. I'll stick with online Apple deals from now on, I don't need some punk kid whos about the same age as me lying to me and sitting on his high horse because he wears a black shirt with an Apple logo, I'll still visit of course but only to use the WiFi and check out new products.
So WHY did you buy from this Store? After this Apple dude lied to you and then included an overpriced-USB cable you should have left and bought from someone else. What about ordering online from the Apple Store? I am actually interested to know how this education-discount thing works because a freind is in school now and wants a new Mac. Do you have to but from an Apple Store, in person or online? Thanks!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 01:04 AM

Simple answer; my uncle doesn't like to shop around and didn't want to pay shipping charges and we were already there so we bought it. All you need for an edu discount is a student ID, atleast thats all I needed. By the way all the new G5's were in stock.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

diskgolfking
Jun 22, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
I am actually interested to know how this education-discount thing works because a freind is in school now and wants a new Mac. Do you have to but from an Apple Store, in person or online? Thanks!
You can buy with the edu discount online. You won't even have to show an ID. They'll just trust that you're telling the truth. As mentioned above, an ID (or, in my case, a letter indicating I had paid my tuition deposit because I hadn't started school yet) is necessary at an Apple store.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 01:40 PM

Well, after I posted on my blog a friend of the guy at the Apple Store began posting comments to it stating how Apple is an "exclusive club" and if I'm going to complain about the service I don't belong in it.

http://gomac.blogspot.com/2004/06/po...k-returns.html

Happier ending though!
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

kuzelnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 01:44 AM

Sounds like he needs a good bitchslappin' with the chrome side of an iPod . . .
The Kuz

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 03:52 AM

Dude,

I was going to write a long post about how you acted imaturely... But really if you haven't learnt that now nobody can teach you anything... You have to treat ediots like him like they are important. If you are nice they will be helpful...

For example my mom is the god of social engenering... To reactive a mobile phone line it takes anywere from 30 minutes to 4 hours... When my mom talkes to them and acts really nice and makes the person think they are being helpful... Like going "i have a problem can you please help me" wow is it that hard?

They don't fix corrosion... Seriously have a cry about the corrosion... I have more corrosion than you do... They will not replace the case ($300 Australian) just because you have sweatie hands...

And no you couldn't just go pick up a $1000 laptop and have better survice.
And yeah nobody cares about your blog... Next time just copy and paste it over... (nice try on trying to get people to vist)...

---
PFFT ok enough of the time wasting
*goes back to studying*

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2004, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
Dude,

I was going to write a long post about how you acted imaturely... But really if you haven't learnt that now nobody can teach you anything... You have to treat ediots like him like they are important. If you are nice they will be helpful...

For example my mom is the god of social engenering... To reactive a mobile phone line it takes anywere from 30 minutes to 4 hours... When my mom talkes to them and acts really nice and makes the person think they are being helpful... Like going "i have a problem can you please help me" wow is it that hard?

They don't fix corrosion... Seriously have a cry about the corrosion... I have more corrosion than you do... They will not replace the case ($300 Australian) just because you have sweatie hands...

And no you couldn't just go pick up a $1000 laptop and have better survice.
And yeah nobody cares about your blog... Next time just copy and paste it over... (nice try on trying to get people to vist)...

---
PFFT ok enough of the time wasting
*goes back to studying*
I didn't scream at the guy... I didn't do anything horrible to him... I just nicely noted the dots on my screen had been there since day 1. If something has been wrong with my Powerbook since I got it, it should be fixed.

And as I've mentioned in my blog the corrosion was a minor problem, and I'll probably just paint over it. The biggest issue is the screen, which was fixed by Apple.

I shouldn't have to be a "god of social engineering" to get my Powerbook fixed. It's a very expensive machine, and sometimes I still feel better carrying around my plastic Dell because it doesn't have nearly the issues.

I didn't do anything mean to the guy at all. And I didn't expect by posting on my blog people would backtrace to the actual guy. It was never a personal attack until people made it one by connecting the dots. All I want is the screen fixed on my Powerbook which has been an issue since day one, along with the well documented latch problems, which are noted as a known issue by Apple. Apple has fixed the screen on my Powerbook so I'm satisfied for now (I'll just wait on the latch).

If I was trying to get more traffic on my blog why would I link directly to the post? I really don't think anyone would be interested in my personal life except for my friends. It's just more convenient to link to it.

You're right, I shouldn't treat the guy likes he's an idiot. I was polite to him when I was trying to get my Powerbook fixed. If you spent $3200 on a laptop, only to not have defects that pretty clearly shipped with it go un-repaired, you'd probably get pretty pissed too.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 04:21 AM

No you don't have to be a god...

I just mentioned that if your nice to someone they will do everything in there power to help you.

NOW really I would have writen a better reply but meh i'm tired and i have an exam tomorrow worth 60%. I am gladed to hear that the screen got fixed.
But really most people working at Apple stores (well ones i've been to in Austrlaia anyway) are idiots.

(Yeah my bad about the blog comment i'm really just cranky... MUUUST CRAM.... STUPID PLANT PHYSIOLOGY... GRR @ PHOTOSYNETHSIS )

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 04:25 AM

I've had nothing but EXCELLENT experiences at the Apple stores, especially with the geniuses

I've always found Apple to be an extremely fair company, whose employees I always find to be TOP NOTCH

Every problem with my computes has always been taken care of, with expedience and good service

I would suggest that you go to a different Apple Store, or call Apple Care, if you feel that these folks are mistreating you
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by HasanDaddy:
I've had nothing but EXCELLENT experiences at the Apple stores, especially with the geniuses

I've always found Apple to be an extremely fair company, whose employees I always find to be TOP NOTCH

Every problem with my computes has always been taken care of, with expedience and good service

I would suggest that you go to a different Apple Store, or call Apple Care, if you feel that these folks are mistreating you
Yeah Apple Care is really fantastic...
There is no official Apple stores in Australia. There is either Next Byte or Choice connections.
Choice connections don't have a clue.
Official Apple stores are most likely so much better.
OMFG WHAT AM I DOING BACK TO CRAMING...

phowson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 10:16 AM

Seems to me like you got a crappy Genius. Too bad your initial comments paint a really negative picture with such broad strokes. You make it sound like this guy is representative of the whole company and that your machine is typical of the quality of Apple products. From personal experience (I am a sysadmin for a design firm and all we use are macs) I can say that the service you received is in polar oposition to the experiences I, and my company, have had over the past 15 years.

Also, as far as the quality of PowerBooks is concerned, we currently have 12 PowerBook G4s (12"Al and 15"Ti) in constant use and we have had absolutely zero non user related problems. These machines are carted around by account executives who (imho) treat their machines like crap. I have had machines come back with bits of food stuck both to the cases and lodged in the keyboards. My favorite was the employee who couldn't figure out why her laptop wouldn't sit flat and when I turned it over there was a quarter inch piece of candy cane, the kind you eat in December, affixed to the bottom. This was in early June.

I said in the comments I left at your blog that I felt confident that if you tried a little, it would be fairly easy to find someone at Apple who would help you get this worked out. Sounds like they took care of the screen without you having to do anything. To me this is more representative of Apple's customer care than your initial experience, which I think was the result of one person's bad attitude at a given moment. I would suggest that in the future you couch your comments about one person's crappy attitude in a way that they not be construed as representative of the whole company. Otherwise you aren't pointing out the specific problem you are trying to solve and it won't get solved.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by phowson:
Seems to me like you got a crappy Genius. Too bad your initial comments paint a really negative picture with such broad strokes. You make it sound like this guy is representative of the whole company and that your machine is typical of the quality of Apple products. From personal experience (I am a sysadmin for a design firm and all we use are macs) I can say that the service you received is in polar oposition to the experiences I, and my company, have had over the past 15 years.
Working at a school district as a tech, our iBook failure rate is about %10. I've actually been really surprised by the issues with my Powerbook's (started with a Ti, and that was so problematic they traded in for a AlBook). I had a Wallstreet before my TiBook and it worked just fine, 0 issues.

I also noted later in the blog that the Santa Monica store was very helpful. They even offered to allow me to send the machine to them. The help there was very professional. I linked to that post in my blog in this thread.

I knew chances were decent Apple would fix the screen, but the genius was almost trying to talk me out of sending it in (only %20 chance of fix, accidental damage, etc). The latch issue also could at least have been noted on the repair order so that Apple could have also looked at it.

I have heard nothing but complaints about the University Village Apple Store though, which is kind of sad as I used to trust them over the Bellevue location. I know people who have had to wait around to buy iPod's because no one would go over to the register to help. Another one of my friends refers to the store as "full of stuck up people" (he was doing this long before I brought my Powerbook in).

Also, being used to never having to take my laptop in for service, the rate of failure on Apple's Powerbooks is kind of disturbing, which is why I'm considering a desktop. If I put it under my desk and it never goes anywhere, hopefully it won't fail.
( Last edited by goMac; Jun 23, 2004 at 11:00 AM. )

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 11:22 AM

my 17" REV A is working like a CHARM!

I had some probs with a REV A Ti.....but I'm very happy with my 17
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

quadraphonic
Jun 27, 2004, 02:27 PM

This is more than a little concerning with me. I'm sure that not EVERY G4 iBook and PowerBook have these problems, but is it really that widespread? I just recently purchased and took back my Rev A 12" PowerBook because I wanted to upgrade to something a little more powerful, like the Rev C.. now I'm worried to buy one at all!
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

phowson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 04:37 PM

Don't know what the general rate of failure is on the 12" machines but if it's any consolation, the only issues I've had with any of the half dozen or so we have at work have been user related problems (broken power supplies from yanking them out of the wall, cheap briefcase straps break and PB gets dented because Boss is too cheap tp buy laptop bags, etc.)

I have no qualms about recommending any of the PBs to anyone who asks but the 12" is always my first recommendation.

quadraphonic
Jun 27, 2004, 05:50 PM

Right on.. though I was alittle daunted by some of the comments on the 12", particularly regarding the LCD screen, I thoroughyl enjoyed the Rev A (for the week and a half I had it!). Now I'll just wait and see what comes of the developer's conference and buy after that.
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

vinster
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by phowson:
Seems to me like you got a crappy Genius.

I would suggest that in the future you couch your comments about one person's crappy attitude in a way that they not be construed as representative of the whole company. Otherwise you aren't pointing out the specific problem you are trying to solve and it won't get solved.
Thing is phowson, in the role of Apple Genius that rep. is representing Apple so it's not just about the individual.

I think gomac's blog emphasized that it was the particular rep. who was being unprofessional (and a a poor queuing system at the Genius bar), not rating Apple poorly as a company.

I'm skeptical of the quality of service in the Apple retail stores because I have a friend who had a bad experience. People remember bad experiences and tell others who make decisions based on those recommendations (which is why good customer service is so important).

At the same time, I think Apple is an excellent company (I've never had a problem with their products or customer service). I just don't trust the retail arm of the organization.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 07:38 AM

There are crappy reps everywhere in life. Who is Apple that they can filter out every single one? Eventually someone will get a bad apple, no pun intended. The point is that Apple as an organization is willing to help. Life is the same way and there are times when a little patience is requaired on our part. But we expect perfection every time. Perhaps we should step down from our high horses and look for cooperation between us and those we deal with, who are in fact only human, not just with Apple but with every other organization. I was patient for about 3 weeks when my 1 Ghz went in for a screen problem and returned unfixed three times. But the Apple rep let me keep my own laptop while they ordered a new one. It came yesterday and I swapped my year old 1 Ghz for a new 1.5 Ghz. I think the wait and frustration curbed by a little paitience was well worth it. Before this I sent in a 667 DVI for paint repair and it returned with a broken USB, scratches, misaligned hinges, etc, and the thing was returned 5 times before comming back perfect. I think you had a right to feel upset as I did and frustrated. There is nothing wrong with expressing this to your Apple Rep. Just keep friendly, perservere, and if one does not listen take other measures, as you did. In the end I think you did the right thing and according to what I've read you did not go overboard in your complaint. You were not ranting and raving and whining and accusing and calling names.

Glad to hear the display is fixed. As to your other problems, it is up to you to pursue them or just be happy things are cool with the screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules