Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Isn't all of this a bloody waste of time

Isn't all of this a bloody waste of time
Thread Tools
android8
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:01 PM
 
I had one of these moments today...I found myself, as so many times before, trawling through mac-related news sites looking for some interesting mac-news....then it hit me...This is such a enormous waste of time!

All this mac-stuff....geez...I could be out meeting interesting people with different interests than mine and people I could learn something from...something that I could use for real in my life...I could be globetrotting....paragliding...fishing....
New browser, new displays (3000 dollars...as if I could ever afford one anyway), new games, iPod batteries, widgets, Dell iPod vs Apple iPod, MS vs. Apple, fonts, blogging...bla bla bla...

I have this eerie feeling life is slipping through my fingers while I sit here on my fat a.. wasting valuable time/life

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
cjrivera
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:06 PM
 
Originally posted by android8:
I had one of these moments today...I found myself, as so many times before, trawling through mac-related news sites looking for some interesting mac-news....then it hit me...This is such a enormous waste of time!

All this mac-stuff....geez...I could be out meeting interesting people with different interests than mine and people I could learn something from...something that I could use for real in my life...I could be globetrotting....paragliding...fishing....
New browser, new displays (3000 dollars...as if I could ever afford one anyway), new games, iPod batteries, widgets, Dell iPod vs Apple iPod, MS vs. Apple, fonts, blogging...bla bla bla...

I have this eerie feeling life is slipping through my fingers while I sit here on my fat a.. wasting valuable time/life
If you're feeling this way with 40+ posts, just wait until you get into the hundreds or thousands of posts....

talk about wasting valuable time!
     
BustledHedgerow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:09 PM
 
Well then don't post here, go do something about it.
The sheep in the meadow go bah.
     
itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cupertino, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:10 PM
 
Some modernist philosophers would say that all of the non-Mac stuff you listed is pretty much a waste of time too

Anyway, by all means, live a 'balanced life,' whatever that means to you.
     
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:13 PM
 
Going through a mid-crisis?
     
android8  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:18 PM
 
Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Going through a mid-crisis?
I think you might have nailed it

Heh..Earlier today I could almost hear David Byrne of the Talking Heads singing:" Now, you might find yourself living in a......and you may ask yourself:"How did I get here?!""

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
OH-N'omac
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:19 PM
 
On the other hand, you could be out in the world torturing puppies with needle-nosed pliers instead, so maybe surfing the web is not so bad in the grand scheme of things...
     
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:26 PM
 
yes it is all a waste of time...

its about as much a waste of time as drinking as a past time; ...smoking and what not.
the largest problem for Americans today is they eat too much food and dont have enough work to do to keep their heart healthy
     
ryju
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 06:56 PM
 
I think it was a larger waste of time posting this thread.

And even a LARGER waste of time for me to reply to it
     
simonjames
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bondi Beach
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 10:09 PM
 
sorry Android but I have been to Denmark (family in Randers) and I know it has been raining there for 3 weeks now. Denmark is green for a good reason. What else are you going to be doing?
this sig intentionally left blank
     
MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Retired
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 10:18 PM
 
What would my life be without the web? Boring, bleak and empty. Better off inside.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f
     
TailsToo
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Westside Island
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 10:55 PM
 
Bah! What isn't a waste of time in the long run? If it humors you at the moment, then be happy!
     
SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 11:32 PM
 
Originally posted by MacGorilla:
What would my life be without the web? Boring, bleak and empty. Better off inside.
True that. And better yet, think about how much money you're saving rather than burning gas or spending money on frivilous retail items.
     
vmpaul
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: always on the sunny side
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 11:41 PM
 
I love to learn new things. The Internet is perfect for that. Maybe none of it can be applied to my practical life but I like the process.

Jeez, even the inane Lounge topics can become a learning experience. Who knew there was so much information on badgers & cheese?
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller
     
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Isle of Manhattan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 11:41 PM
 
Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
True that. And better yet, think about how much money you're saving rather than burning gas or spending money on frivilous retail items.
Or blowing it all on women.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST
     
KrazyEvilGoat
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 11:47 PM
 
Originally posted by vmpaul:
I love to learn new things. The Internet is perfect for that. Maybe none of it can be applied to my practical life but I like the process.

Jeez, even the inane Lounge topics can become a learning experience. Who knew there was so much information on badgers & cheese?
I didn't even know that badgers liked cheese!
     
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Youngsville, NC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 30, 2004, 11:52 PM
 
It's not bad, your enjoying one of your hobbies, I regurarly post at 5 or so boards, as well as go outside and do stuff, it's all good
     
vmpaul
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: always on the sunny side
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 12:07 AM
 
Originally posted by KrazyEvilGoat:
I didn't even know that badgers liked cheese!
See!! The Web is useful.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller
     
voyageur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 08:29 AM
 
Originally posted by android8:
All this mac-stuff....geez...I could be out meeting interesting people with different interests than mine and people I could learn something from...something that I could use for real in my life...I could be globetrotting....paragliding...fishing....
New browser, new displays (3000 dollars...as if I could ever afford one anyway), new games, iPod batteries, widgets, Dell iPod vs Apple iPod, MS vs. Apple, fonts, blogging...bla bla bla...
My humble advice....pare the number of news sites down to a very few that you like. Check them just once a day. Ditch the RSS feeds.
Now go outside and get busy fishing.
And don't forget to visit the lounge now and then. Where else can you get humor, blather, and opinions from all over the world?
     
cszar2001
Photo Architect
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bamberg, Germany
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 09:29 AM
 
You´re born - you live - and then you die.
Doesn´t really matter that much what´s happening in between.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.
     
spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Rochester NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 09:52 AM
 
Originally posted by voyageur:
Now go outside and get busy fishing.
Originally posted by OH-N'omac :
you could be out in the world torturing puppies with needle-nosed pliers instead
What's the dif?
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt
     
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mil Wau Kee
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 10:04 AM
 
I think someone need to turn off their computer and go out for a walk.

Just press the power button and click on "shut down"...then step away from the desk, put on some shoes and leave the building...go out for a walk, have a cup of coffee or a beer on the terrace of a sunny bar. Then rent or borrow a movie...sti down and watch it...go to bed and tomorrow it will be an other day. I promise.
     
Sherwin
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 10:18 AM
 
Originally posted by voyageur:
My humble advice....pare the number of news sites down to a very few that you like. Check them just once a day. Ditch the RSS feeds.
Now go outside and get busy fishing.
No! Don't hurt the little fishes! Take up rap-jumping instead. Or something.
     
voyageur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 10:58 AM
 
Originally posted by Sherwin:
No! Don't hurt the little fishes! Take up rap-jumping instead. Or something.
All right, catch and release then!
     
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Retired.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 11:19 AM
 
Yes, it is.
     
android8  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 02:38 PM
 
Originally posted by simonjames:
sorry Android but I have been to Denmark (family in Randers) and I know it has been raining there for 3 weeks now. Denmark is green for a good reason. What else are you going to be doing?
Yeah...Denmark is really a rainy wind-swept mudbank in the North See these days...Maybe the best thing is to stay inside and surf the web after all....or hitchhike my way down through Europe as I did a couple of years ago...maybe I should pay Greece a visit, find a small island and decide what to do with my life...or just go down to the local pub, get pissed and pass out....hmmm... ...I'm off to the pub..laters

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 03:11 PM
 
Actually discussing things on an internet board or face to face will improve your communications skills.

I don't know about everyone else, But I have learned more in the past 5 years on the net than I have the 10 years prior.
     
cszar2001
Photo Architect
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bamberg, Germany
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 03:35 PM
 
Originally posted by Zimphire:
Actually discussing things on an internet board or face to face will improve your communications skills.

I don't know about everyone else, But I have learned more in the past 5 years on the net than I have the 10 years prior.
That makes you 15 then? (Don´t take it personally - just couldn`t resist).
And yes - discussions on the net are helpful since you have to lay out your arguments so that others can understand them easily.
The problem is that misunderstandings occur very often and aren`t cleared up as fast as in real life.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.
     
skalie
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clogland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 03:48 PM
 
1 word, 3 syllables........Multitask.

Find a way to combine an internet addiction with an, er, life.
     
Zimphire
Baninated
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Moon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 03:50 PM
 
Originally posted by cszar2001:
That makes you 15 then? (Don´t take it personally - just couldn`t resist).
None taken.

I am actually about twice that.
     
djohnson
Professional Poster
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 03:51 PM
 
Originally posted by skalie:
1 word, 3 syllables........Multitask.

Find a way to combine an internet addiction with an, er, life.
Exactly! I post and play on the net while I attempt to work. Maybe you could base your life in the net?
     
wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: London, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 04:17 PM
 
You mean… some of you are actually real?
     
android8  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 04:19 PM
 
Originally posted by wulf:
You mean… some of you are actually real?
I bet you're all bots...

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
demograph68
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 11:32 PM
 
1 word, 3 syllables........Multitask.
I couldn't be without my tabbed browsing!
     
ambush
Banned
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: -
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 11:34 PM
 
Originally posted by android8:
I had one of these moments today...I found myself, as so many times before, trawling through mac-related news sites looking for some interesting mac-news....then it hit me...This is such a enormous waste of time!

All this mac-stuff....geez...I could be out meeting interesting people with different interests than mine and people I could learn something from...something that I could use for real in my life...I could be globetrotting....paragliding...fishing....
New browser, new displays (3000 dollars...as if I could ever afford one anyway), new games, iPod batteries, widgets, Dell iPod vs Apple iPod, MS vs. Apple, fonts, blogging...bla bla bla...

I have this eerie feeling life is slipping through my fingers while I sit here on my fat a.. wasting valuable time/life
It's possible to follow the industry and have a social life at the same time.

I'm the living proof
     
Stradlater
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Off the Tobakoff
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 1, 2004, 11:36 PM
 
Originally posted by android8:
I bet you're all bots...
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."
     
simonjames
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bondi Beach
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 12:28 AM
 
Originally posted by android8:
Yeah...Denmark is really a rainy wind-swept mudbank in the North See these days...Maybe the best thing is to stay inside and surf the web after all....or hitchhike my way down through Europe as I did a couple of years ago...maybe I should pay Greece a visit, find a small island and decide what to do with my life...or just go down to the local pub, get pissed and pass out....hmmm... ...I'm off to the pub..laters
Steer clear of Royal beer in the little blue cans - pure burp water

Where in DK do you live?
this sig intentionally left blank
     
android8  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 09:15 AM
 
Originally posted by simonjames:
Steer clear of Royal beer in the little blue cans - pure burp water

Where in DK do you live?
In Odense on the island called Fyn (Funen)...Odense is the birthtown of Hans Christian Andersen...I actually live 100 meters from the house where he was born...

Ceres Royal?!....Niiice brew

Bondi Beach?...hmmm...once worked in Redland Bay north of Brisbane for a couple of months...Winter in Brisbane is better than most of our summers...sigh

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
vexborg
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 54 56' 38" .058N / 10 0' 33" .071E
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 09:51 AM
 
Originally posted by android8:
In Odense on the island called Fyn (Funen)...Odense is the birthtown of Hans Christian Andersen...I actually live 100 meters from the house where he was born...

Ceres Royal?!....Niiice brew

Bondi Beach?...hmmm...once worked in Redland Bay north of Brisbane for a couple of months...Winter in Brisbane is better than most of our summers...sigh
Nice one - I'm orginally from Nyborg

So you must live somewhere around Fisketorvet eller Overgade?
     
killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ithaca, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 11:02 AM
 
This thread has progressed from depression to alcohol.

Coincidence?

I think not.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo
     
wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 11:09 AM
 
"All is vanity, just a blowing in the wind." Ecclesiastes

You have control of your life, go and do whatever makes you happy.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill
     
android8  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 03:13 PM
 
Originally posted by vexborg:
Nice one - I'm orginally from Nyborg

So you must live somewhere around Fisketorvet eller Overgade?
Indeed...close to Overgade...Ryttergade to be exact...next to the policestation...And U?

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
vexborg
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 54 56' 38" .058N / 10 0' 33" .071E
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 2, 2004, 03:20 PM
 
Originally posted by android8:
Indeed...close to Overgade...Ryttergade to be exact...next to the policestation...And U?
Well, from more or less all over Nyborg - Idavej, Nyenstad, Magnolievænget, Hjortevænget - and now I'm living in Scotland, between Glasgow and Motherwell with my wife and our 4 cats
     
android8  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2004, 06:04 AM
 
Originally posted by vexborg:
Well, from more or less all over Nyborg - Idavej, Nyenstad, Magnolievænget, Hjortevænget - and now I'm living in Scotland, between Glasgow and Motherwell with my wife and our 4 cats
Heh...That's a lotta pussy my friend...(sorry..that was low...I just had to say it...hope I didn't offend you)

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
vexborg
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 54 56' 38" .058N / 10 0' 33" .071E
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2004, 12:26 PM
 
Originally posted by android8:
Heh...That's a lotta pussy my friend...(sorry..that was low...I just had to say it...hope I didn't offend you)
Hehe... Of course I'm not offended

It's not that often that you can choose from 5 pussies...
     
android8  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2004, 04:40 PM
 
Originally posted by vexborg:
Hehe... Of course I'm not offended

It's not that often that you can choose from 5 pussies...

Indispensable MacOS X Software, music videos, music, science...

Please note: Speling erors are intentionel and are in play to sea if you pik up on them (i.e. the erors are their for a reason). So plaese, no mor emails regurding speling...an englihs is nod my mohter tongue. Tnhx!
     
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Minnesota - Twins Territory
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2004, 06:44 PM
 
i have been trying to get away from the net as of late, some friends got me into fishing and i am going to try to read more...hopefully that helps cut into my surfing time.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."
     
angaq0k
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Over there...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2004, 08:58 PM
 
The day I found out that my mac is nothing more than a tamaguchi...

well...

...it owned me...
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein
     
quandarry
Registered User
Join Date: May 2003
Location: between a rock and a hard place.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2004, 09:52 PM
 
Originally posted by android8:
I had one of these moments today...I found myself, as so many times before, trawling through mac-related news sites looking for some interesting mac-news....then it hit me...This is such a enormous waste of time!

All this mac-stuff....geez...I could be out meeting interesting people with different interests than mine and people I could learn something from...something that I could use for real in my life...I could be globetrotting....paragliding...fishing....
New browser, new displays (3000 dollars...as if I could ever afford one anyway), new games, iPod batteries, widgets, Dell iPod vs Apple iPod, MS vs. Apple, fonts, blogging...bla bla bla...

I have this eerie feeling life is slipping through my fingers while I sit here on my fat a.. wasting valuable time/life
last time i went outside i came stumbling back drunk and stoned with the cutest

guurl this side o' the pecos (or so i thought)...so now i stay home and lock myself in...

     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,