Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Check this out! (impressive/reckless shxt)

Check this out! (impressive/reckless shxt)
Sealobo
Jul 16, 2004, 12:06 PM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 12:09 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth, except the last 4 lettters. That must be a Photoshop or filming job.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
That must be a Photoshop or filming job.
Narh. I drive like that all the time. It's most fun in a 4x4.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:11 PM

That reminds me of a highway in Austria...

Sealobo  (op)
Jul 16, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
You took the words right out of my mouth, except the last 4 lettters. That must be a Photoshop or filming job.
Looks pretty real to me... check how the cars in teh opposite lane hesitated... lol~

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 12:14 PM

Can we have a description of image, for those of us that can't see it? Sounds like something very funny is going on in it...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Can we have a description of image, for those of us that can't see it? Sounds like something very funny is going on in it...
It's someone doing a massive power drift on a public road.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
It's someone doing a massive power drift on a public road.
Got it

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:44 PM

Narh. I drive like that all the time. It's most fun in a 4x4.
You must scare the bejeezus out of your girlfriends.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 12:53 PM

My grandmother drove like that--after she shrunk so much she couldn't reach the brake pedal
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 12:55 PM

far more reckless than impressive.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:36 PM

it should be legal to shoot people like that.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 03:45 PM

What sort of car is it? Looks like a BMW 5 Series, maybe a 7 Series. Sure, they're capable of being driven like that. It's quite impressive, but very stupid. It looks like he (probably a he) is struggling a bit there towards the end, gets a bit twitchy. Fun.
tin pot, garden shed

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:23 PM

Fun? Impressive? ....................WTF?!?!

If he had lost control pro�lly some innocent people could have lost their lifes.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
Fun? Impressive? ....................WTF?!?!

If he had lost control pro�lly some innocent people could have lost their lifes.
But he didn't (in this clip), and the stunt IS impressive.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:32 PM

Quote:"But he didn't (in this clip), and the stunt IS impressive."

If someone does this kinda things on a public road, he/she IS a POTENTIAL MURDERER! Nothing to be impressed of...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 05:35 PM

Sure. It was reckless and a completely stupid thing to do, BUT IT IS IMPRESSIVE.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Sealobo:

Was that Ca$h??

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Was that Ca$h??
He only wishes he could drive a beemer .

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 07:01 PM

If someone does this kinda things on a public road, he/she IS a POTENTIAL MURDERER! Nothing to be impressed of...
yeah it's really stupid. But, being in a car going sideways when you're doing 80+ mph is hugely good fun. I've been on a couple of track days with people who race and rally cars for fun, you shat yourself for the first lap, then you're grinning from ear to ear for the rest of the day
tin pot, garden shed

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 07:57 PM

Is it possible to do that in a FWD car?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by OB1:
What sort of car is it? Looks like a BMW 5 Series, maybe a 7 Series. Sure, they're capable of being driven like that. It's quite impressive, but very stupid. It looks like he (probably a he) is struggling a bit there towards the end, gets a bit twitchy. Fun.
My pickup truck is capable of being driven like that, doesn't have anything to do with the car, although it would be harder to do in a truck

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Is it possible to do that in a FWD car?
sorta. you have to pull the ebrake. something i do all winter in the snow. i think a true drift is with a RWD though.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
far more reckless than impressive.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
sorta. you have to pull the ebrake. something i do all winter in the snow. i think a true drift is with a RWD though.
Yeah and it's a lot more fun in a RWD as well.

Not that I would know or anything.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 10:14 PM

There's something weird about that shot...

1) Are the cars that are passed on the left of the road moving? I guess they could have stopped when thy saw the guy barelling buy, but it looks like they where watching before he came by. Which might make sense - the camera guy implies that this was planned.

2) Did anyone notice how the car's left back tire always seemed to be on the white dividing line? Totally doesn't mean something is up, just that it looked strange.

Matt Fahrenbacher

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 04:57 PM

Well, if you're gonna be like that: everyone who gets in a car is a potential murderer.

For those capable of it (and using a capable machine which handles in a linear manner), this kind of thing is as safe as most peeps driving normally. And I'm being serious when I say that. Safe handling does not end when the roadholding gives out.

quandarry
Jul 17, 2004, 05:11 PM

Well, if you're gonna be like that: everyone who gets in a car is a potential murderer.

For those capable of it (and using a capable machine which handles in a linear manner), this kind of thing is as safe as most peeps driving normally. And I'm being serious when I say that. Safe handling does not end when the roadholding gives out.
you may be serious and that's the scary part. here's hoping you are that stupid and get

your license revoked without killing or maiming anyone first. you and cash buddies?

<edit> no i really don't think you are stupid so please don't report me. <edit>
( Last edited by quandarry; Jul 17, 2004 at 05:19 PM. )

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
Sure. It was reckless and a completely stupid thing to do, BUT IT IS IMPRESSIVE.
I'm stealing that for my signature.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin: Quote: "Well, if you're gonna be like that: everyone who gets in a car is a potential murderer.
For those capable of it (and using a capable machine which handles in a linear manner), this kind of thing is as safe as most peeps driving normally. And I'm being serious when I say that. Safe handling does not end when the roadholding gives out."

WTF?!??
There IS a difference in causing an accident by means of inattentiveness or by actively risking to spoil the life of passengers (the camera men) and other drivers. You mean when you can control a car in that manner, you deserve the right to drive in that style on public roads??? Sounds a little bit like the "�bermenschen-Konzept" from the ideological waste bucket of the Nazis ("Wir sind die Herrenrasse, wir d�rfen uns so benehmen"), seriously.................!

pathetic

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
I'm stealing that for my signature.
w0t!

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
you may be serious and that's the scary part. here's hoping you are that stupid and get your license revoked without killing or maiming anyone first.
WTF?!??
There IS a difference in causing an accident by means of inattentiveness or by actively risking to spoil the life of passengers (the camera men) and other drivers.
Try and understand. There is NO RISK to driving like that if you know what you're doing and are in a suitable vehicle.

Just because you can't handle a car properly, doesn't mean everyone else can't.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
But he didn't (in this clip), and the stunt IS impressive.
Only insofar as the guys on the other lane STOPPED for him.

Had they not, he might well have injured them, himself, or worse.

I've had BMW drivers overtake me on the right and cut in right in front of me, with NO regard to road safety or other drivers, and nothing happened due to the attentiveness of others on the road.

That doesn't mean that the ****ers don't deserve jail time for their ****headed stunts.

-s*

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I've had BMW drivers overtake me on the right
What were you doing on the left when there was space on the right? Lane discipline in Germany not what it used to be?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 02:47 PM

What were you doing on the left when there was space on the right? Lane discipline in Germany not what it used to be?

Honeybuns,

When I'm faster than the guy in front of me and I hit the minimum safety distance, I pull over onto the left lane until I've passed him.

If some asshole thinks that arriving all of two seconds earlier is worth cutting into the safety margin I keep ahead of me (as required by law), then I suppose he deserves whatever awaits him should he finally manage to crash his car.

The cars around him that he will inevitably get involved, however, don't.

(On a side note, a reckless driver was just convicted here a few weeks ago for not maintaining minimal distance. He approached so quickly that the driver ahead of him was startled enough to lose control of the car, resulting in the death of a young woman and an infant. I'm sure the convict is an *excellent* driver, who had complete control over his car at all times. Unfortunately, that doesn't make him any less of an irresponsible asshole - tying in to the .gif up above.)

-s*

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 03:02 PM

When I'm faster than the guy in front of me and I hit the minimum safety distance, I pull over onto the left lane until I've passed him.
Just checking.

On a side note, a reckless driver was just convicted here a few weeks ago for not maintaining minimal distance. He approached so quickly that the driver ahead of him was startled enough to lose control of the car, resulting in the death of a young woman and an infant.
I remember reading about this and thinking "anyone who gets startled enough to lose control of a car simply by the approach - at whatever speed - of someone in the rearview mirrors, shouldn't have a driving licence in the first place".

It sucks that her and her kid died, but I still stand by that thought - she should never have been on the roads.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 03:09 PM

Just checking.

I remember reading about this and thinking "anyone who gets startled enough to lose control of a car simply by the approach - at whatever speed - of someone in the rearview mirrors, shouldn't have a driving licence in the first place".

It sucks that her and her kid died, but I still stand by that thought - she should never have been on the roads.
It has obviously been a LONG time since you were anything but the fastest thing hurtling down the highway.

Fact is: She WAS on the road. She HAD a license.

Believe you me, if you're doing 120 on the left lane overtaking a couple of trucks and camper vans, and a ****wit in a Merc or BMW comes tooling up behind you at 210, pulling up to a distance of UNDER TWO METERS (which happens pretty damn frequently), you get the willies.

I read most of your posts, Sherwin, and I gather that you and Ca$h and a couple of other car nuts have one major failing:

You've missed that the skill of driving is only half control over your own vehicle. You may be an excellent track driver, but your attitude makes you a menace to society if you don't leave it on the track.

-s*

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 03:27 PM

It has obviously been a LONG time since you were anything but the fastest thing hurtling down the highway.

Fact is: She WAS on the road. She HAD a license.
And shouldn't have. That simple.

Believe you me, if you're doing 120 on the left lane overtaking a couple of trucks and camper vans, and a ****wit in a Merc or BMW comes tooling up behind you at 210, pulling up to a distance of UNDER TWO METERS (which happens pretty damn frequently), you get the willies.
Seriously, you shouldn't be on the roads if you get the willies that easily. They should test for this (and hey, I'm including the UK here too). When all is said and done, this is a woman who killed herself and her kid because another driver didn't hit her.

I read most of your posts, Sherwin, and I gather that you and Ca$h and a couple of other car nuts have one major failing:

You've missed that the skill of driving is only half control over your own vehicle. You may be an excellent track driver, but your attitude makes you a menace to society if you don't leave it on the track.
Nope. Everyone I know agrees that I'm the safest driver they know. I do fun stuff, sure - but never when I judge that it's going to have a detrimental effect on myself, my passengers or anyone else (and judging by the angles, the guy in the gif also knew that there was no way he'd hit anyone else if he lunched it).
I'm also aware, at all times, of the stupid things other drivers do. Not to mention the small details which make the difference between having an accident and not having one: Only last week I was having a prod at a guy I know for doing 100 in a rental van - on the grounds that he shouldn't be going that fast in a vehicle which he doesn't know the service history / tyre condition of.

It may look like I'm a loony driver but seriously, I'm one of the safest drivers on the road.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 03:42 PM

And shouldn't have. That simple.

Seriously, you shouldn't be on the roads if you get the willies that easily. They should test for this (and hey, I'm including the UK here too). When all is said and done, this is a woman who killed herself and her kid because another driver didn't hit her.
Have you considered that minimal safety distances might be REQUIRED BY LAW for the very reason of enabling mere mortals not up to Sherwin's track standards to commute on our roads?

Fact is, the guy broke a law that's in place for a reason. At 120 km/h, he should have been at least 60 m away.

It may look like I'm a loony driver but seriously, I'm one of the safest drivers on the road.
The question is, are those around you safe as well?

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules