Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This is a reason for sky high insurance costs

This is a reason for sky high insurance costs
Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2004, 08:16 PM

It's stupid crap like this that are driving up insurance rates...

Lawyers are using "lets' sue them... they have insurance, so they really won't be harmed by it in the long run" as a reason to sue. It's not just happening to doctors...

Who honestly believes that the airlines should have known that terrorists were on the planes, when our government agencies couldn't even get their act together to share intellegence information on the threat of terrorism. If some people in the CIA or FBI couldn't believe it ("Terrorists flying a plane into the WTC? Too far fetched to be true"), how do you expect the airlines to?

But the real kicker is the quote in the article, that says that basically, it's "insurers suing insurers." In the end, only the lawyers win. They take a huge cut of the payout, and the insurance company paying the damages on behalf of the defendant has no choice but to raise its rates.

Who really loses in the end? WE do!
( Last edited by Person Man; Sep 10, 2004 at 08:23 PM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2004, 09:08 PM

And what candidate do you think the majority of members of the Association of Trial Lawyers would endorse for president?

I'll give you a hint... his running mate is a member of the ATLA

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 09:19 PM

Why don't we let him speak for himself, concerning this issue, instead of generalizing?

BTW, I agree that this suit seems outrageous! Hopefully, it will be dismissed.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Why don't we let him speak for himself, concerning this issue, instead of generalizing?
Because Edwards isn't a Mac user?
And won't be reading this thread.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2004, 11:19 PM

Last I knew, we lived in a free country where a person can sue whoever they want. It doesn't mean that they are going to win.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Last I knew, we lived in a free country where a person can sue whoever they want. It doesn't mean that they are going to win.
Hmm, I believe you live in a country that claims to give you something it can't, and where people DO sue whoever they want.

realitybath
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 01:09 AM

what do you think?

last 5 years, and 20 million in lawyer's fees.
that's my guess.

Improvement in airport security resulting from the decision (win or lose): none.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 01:36 AM

I'll give you a hint... his running mate is a member of the ATLA
So is his wife, I'll bet.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 11, 2004, 02:42 AM

Maybe the airlines should countersue and say that if the WTC buildings weren't there the said buildings of the insurer wouldn't have been a target.

What about the U.S customs for letting them into the country?

What about the flight training schools for training them to fly but not take-off or land?

What about the home depot that sold them the box cutters?

What about...

Man to be a shyster now...bucks, bucks, bucks!

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
Maybe the airlines should countersue and say that if the WTC buildings weren't there the said buildings of the insurer wouldn't have been a target.

What about the flight training schools for training them to fly but not take-off or land?

What about...

you forgot God for letting them be born.

ProgrammerDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2004, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
you forgot God for letting them be born.
Allah.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:

What about...

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 09:01 PM

Although it was exceptionally easy to hijack those planes, even with the new security it can still be done. Anyone who really wants too will find a way. Now that they have outlawed box cutters the next terrorist will just use something else like sharp glass.

So anyway I hope they lose the suit.
the largest problem for Americans today is they eat too much food and dont have enough work to do to keep their heart healthy

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 12:14 AM

Airport security still isn't too good. My brother accidently brought his pocket knife with him and they let him through (alarm didn't go off); and my step dad deliberatly brought a 3 inch knife on with him (he just likes to take chances, i guess it gives him a rush) and the security scanner thing didn't catch him either.. so, i think it would be pretty easy to do the exact same thing again. without changing anything about the way it was done.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2004, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by el chupacabra:
Although it was exceptionally easy to hijack those planes, even with the new security it can still be done. Anyone who really wants too will find a way. Now that they have outlawed box cutters the next terrorist will just use something else like sharp glass.
The difference is:

the passengers, flight attendants and pilots won't sit idly by and permit their airplane to be used as a weapon. I'm also sure the military now has a shoot first ask questions later attitude with reference to hijacked commercial airplanes.

I would rush them without thinking twice now...

winwintoo
Sep 12, 2004, 09:18 AM

But women get a full body x-ray at Heathrow now and I had a full body pat-down because I had a tin of mints in my pocket that set off the alarm in Amsterdam. Our tickets were in first class, but nobody told me about the "dress code" (the rest of the trip was in steerage ) so we were grilled about who bought us the tickets and why we were traveling etc.

I saw them pull an elderly man in a wheelchair aside and go through his carry-on because he admitted he was bringing a cookoo clock back from Germany. That made me feel safer.

Also at Heathrow, the departure lounge doesn't have enough seating to accommodate all the passengers, there are no washrooms, you need to be there 2 hours ahead of time AND while we were waiting for our flight, the fire alarms started ringing and there was a constant announcement that if you could hear the alarm, you needed to leave the area immediately. Since none of us knew where the HE|| we were, we had no clue where we were supposed to go and we could see that all the marked EXITS had a 3 story drop to the tarmac.

Nobody came to offer any guidance so there we sat. After 2 hours with no washrooms, I guess we could have pi$$ed on the fire and put it out, but it was not a pleasant wait.

Do you see where I'm headed??

Wake-up air transport safety people!! Air rage is far more dangerous than box cutters ever will be and you do your best to increase air rage at every turn. Long lines, stupid rules, stupid employees.........

m

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 11:20 AM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are more people in law school now than there are practicing lawyers. They're like the Gremlins, multiplying out of control.

wtf_reportar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2004, 11:29 AM

the airlines should sue UAE and Yemen!!
cowdung.com
What you need,
when you need it

Forum Links
Forum Rules