Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Scary school kids: 36% approve of press censorship

Scary school kids: 36% approve of press censorship
Thread Tools
nath
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2005, 07:34 AM
 
One in three U.S. high school students say the press ought to be more restricted, and even more say the government should approve newspaper stories before readers see them, according to a survey being released today.

The survey of 112,003 students finds that 36% believe newspapers should get "government approval" of stories before publishing; 51% say they should be able to publish freely; 13% have no opinion.


http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...ts-press_x.htm
     
Agent69
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2005, 08:59 AM
 
Just a case of people not appreciating their rights. Just look at the way people have rolled over in the name of safety since 9/11.
Agent69
     
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2005, 10:27 AM
 
Another reason not to lower the voting age.
     
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2005, 10:51 AM
 
Scary indeed.

When I was a child, the schools were careful about teaching us our rights and what they meant. Nowadays that would be considered outrageous "nationalistic propaganda", but this is what happens when you remove such education. The kids don't even know the rights they have and why they're so important.

Mind you, this goes for both sides, left and right, in equal measure. Neither one seems to be able to grasp the meaning of something as simple as free speech, with one side trying to close it off and the other trying to use it as a shield to commit other crimes.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!
     
nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2005, 11:15 AM
 
Originally posted by Millennium:
Scary indeed.

When I was a child, the schools were careful about teaching us our rights and what they meant. Nowadays that would be considered outrageous "nationalistic propaganda", but this is what happens when you remove such education. The kids don't even know the rights they have and why they're so important.

Mind you, this goes for both sides, left and right, in equal measure. Neither one seems to be able to grasp the meaning of something as simple as free speech, with one side trying to close it off and the other trying to use it as a shield to commit other crimes.
I was always envious of the way kids in the US are (or were, if what you're saying is true) taught about how their government works and what their rights are. It's outrageous that there's no government and politics component to secondary education in the UK.
     
Agent69
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2005, 11:32 PM
 
If I might ask, does England have something like the bill of rights? For example, do you have the right to remain silent?
Agent69
     
Kilbey
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Michigan, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 05:20 AM
 
Newspapers should be legally allowed to print the truth in an unbiased format. But is that really possible? Can a person be truly unbiased? I doubt it.

So, we get the next best thing. People claiming to be unbiased printing the "truth" in their eyes through their filter of reality. It's better than what a government based media offers though.
     
nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 07:57 AM
 
Originally posted by Agent69:
If I might ask, does England have something like the bill of rights? For example, do you have the right to remain silent?
We have an unwritten constitution. The many countries that copied us usually thought it would be a better idea to write it all down.

Seriously, there are some advantages to an unwritten constitution but IMO these days they're out-weighed by the disadvantages. I'm a member of Charter 88, which campaigns for a bill of rights.

http://www.charter88.org.uk/

We did have the right to silence but the Tories removed it as part of the Criminal Justice Bill a few years back. We now have 'You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

Catchy, huh?
     
Agent69
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 08:49 AM
 
Thanks. For some reason, I was automatically assuming that the English would have had the same protections that the citizens of the United States enjoy. But you know what they say about assuming...
Agent69
     
nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 09:21 AM
 
Originally posted by Agent69:
Thanks. For some reason, I was automatically assuming that the English would have had the same protections that the citizens of the United States enjoy. But you know what they say about assuming...
Most of those protections are theoretically there. But increasingly people are going to the European courts to claim them, as the 'written' nature of European law is generally more reliable.
     
Sven G
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Milan, Europe
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 10:28 AM
 
Scary generation, indeed: grown up in uncertain times, in the middle of a wave of regression, if one can say so.

I think that "older" people should try to stimulate the young towards more positive ideals: not all that easy, in today's context, however!

As the ancients said: mala tempora currunt. But: quosque tandem? Something must happen, sooner or later...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin
     
Salah al-Din
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 10:42 AM
 
Did they check the political leanings of the kids? It would be interesting to compare these numbers to that.
     
constrictor
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 05:55 PM
 
Originally posted by Salah al-Din:
Did they check the political leanings of the kids? It would be interesting to compare these numbers to that.
Forget that. How about the political leanings of all the people on this board that think these poll results are a GREAT thing. No wonder this thread is so dead. You can feel them lurking, can't you?
     
nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2005, 02:38 AM
 
Originally posted by constrictor:
Forget that. How about the political leanings of all the people on this board that think these poll results are a GREAT thing. No wonder this thread is so dead. You can feel them lurking, can't you?


You're so right.

The sad part is, a lot of those people are intelligent enough to know better. Yet like the losers that initially propelled Hitler and Mosely to public prominence, they'll give up their rights gratefully.
     
Sven G
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Milan, Europe
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2005, 02:21 PM
 
They are indeed intelligent enough to know better - and even more (maybe also much more!). The problem is: how do we make them aware of that?

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,