Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.4.4 [Macworld Official Thread]

Mac OS X 10.4.4 [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 3)
Thread Tools
bhuot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
 
Upgraded my Mac Mini 1.33 Ghz G4 (which came with 10.4.2) with combo installer after doing a repair permissions. No problems except Gimp.app, but there is a new universal binary for 2.2.8 that works great under 10.4.4.

http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/
     
semprini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 13, 2006, 11:15 PM
 
Just upgraded my 15" AlBook to 10.4.4. No problems, except that Mail.app has begun intermittently crashing during text editing operations in the message composition window. I can't find a pattern, but it can happen on new messages, forwards, or replies. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
     
cgmpowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2006, 09:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by Stradlater
New Date widget it ugly. Anyone know where I can download the old one?
I'm not exaclt sure if I created this a long time ago or if OS X did this but I noticed the other day a folder in my documents folder labeled "Older Widgets" and it contains several older widgets..

I haven't tested it but its possible Apple backed up my old widgets here..

Christopher
     
voo
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Way up there!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2006, 09:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by cgmpowers
I'm not exaclt sure if I created this a long time ago or if OS X did this but I noticed the other day a folder in my documents folder labeled "Older Widgets" and it contains several older widgets..

I haven't tested it but its possible Apple backed up my old widgets here..

Christopher
Do you have Konfabulator installed? this only happens when you install a new version. Does the same in Windows.
     
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cooperstown '09
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2006, 12:56 PM
 
Anybody else wonder why Apple did not just incorporate the the Yellow and White pages widgets into one single widget?
     
Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cupar, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2006, 04:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by Theodour
Word service seems to be working OK here, although I can't find the "word count" that you speak of ... Does your "statistics" service work?

Also, I think it updated recently ... do you have the latest version?
"Statistics..." is one of the services you get with WordService. And I have the latest version.

Playing with it some more it only seems to play up with certain chunks of text, with others it works fine. I have only been using it in Pages so I don't know whether other apps have the same issues. Still using Pages 1 though. When I get the empty window the word count will appear if I click in it. Very odd behaviour which I never saw before I upgraded.
     
brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: great northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2006, 06:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Theodour
Word service seems to be working OK here, although I can't find the "word count" that you speak of ... Does your "statistics" service work?

Also, I think it updated recently ... do you have the latest version?
I use the Word Service Statistics pane, too, but if it's not working in 10.4.4 (which I haven't downloaded yet), you can use the freeware WordCounter, and it also comes in widget form.
     
G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PA/NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2006, 08:42 PM
 
No major problems here after install - everything still works.

Just noticed what some others have already mentioned, most notably some increased sluggishness. Minimizing windows and scrolling are definitely slower after updating to 10.4.4. With 10.4.3, the graphics used to be ultra fluid. Anyone else notice some new choppiness to their systems?
     
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2006, 08:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by rickey939
Anybody else wonder why Apple did not just incorporate the the Yellow and White pages widgets into one single widget?
Yes.

I haven't tried to use the White Pages widget, but these Yellow Pages widget sucks... never finds anything useful, easier to just look in the physical phone book.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign
     
Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cupar, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2006, 06:59 AM
 
Originally Posted by brettcamp
I use the Word Service Statistics pane, too, but if it's not working in 10.4.4 (which I haven't downloaded yet), you can use the freeware WordCounter, and it also comes in widget form.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

I won't say that WordService is broken as you can work around it when it doesn't display properly but I have only noticed these problems since I upgraded. Otherwise 10.4.4 is working perfectly for me.
     
CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nagoya, Japan • 日本 名古屋市
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2006, 07:27 AM
 
Argh, they still haven't fixed the crashing Dock problem. Mine crashes 2-3 times a day when launching applications. I filed a bug report and Apple marked it as a duplicate.
     
Lucky8
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2006, 02:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by hoopz
For those who care, the iBook screen-spanning hack thankfully seems to be working fine under 10.4.4 (for me, anyway--12" iBook, 1.33 Ghz).
Thanks, that'll do it for me...
     
Lucky8
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 15, 2006, 02:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by hoopz
For those who care, the iBook screen-spanning hack thankfully seems to be working fine under 10.4.4 (for me, anyway--12" iBook, 1.33 Ghz).
Thanks, that'll do it for me...
     
barang
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
 
Installing update with my fingers crossed. Last update ruined Halo, maybe this'll bring it back. Good thing I don't play Halo too much...
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr
     
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York City, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2006, 02:26 PM
 
I was surprised when I opened Safari. "Did I just install Panther?!?!??!!" Looks like my GUI thing got owned by 10.4.4.
iamwhor3hay
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 24, 2006, 09:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by MrForgetable
I was surprised when I opened Safari. "Did I just install Panther?!?!??!!" Looks like my GUI thing got owned by 10.4.4.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 24, 2006, 09:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by MrForgetable
I was surprised when I opened Safari. "Did I just install Panther?!?!??!!" Looks like my GUI thing got owned by 10.4.4.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
David Lee
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
 
After updating my iBook to 10.4.4 I can no longer connect to a Blue&White G3 acting as a file server at work. The G3 is running OS 9 ver 9.1. OS X 10,3.9 Panther had no trouble at all accessing that machine. I get an error message saying "Incompatible AFP" or something like that. Anyone have any ideas about how to work around this?
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2006, 02:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by David Lee
After updating my iBook to 10.4.4 I can no longer connect to a Blue&White G3 acting as a file server at work. The G3 is running OS 9 ver 9.1. OS X 10,3.9 Panther had no trouble at all accessing that machine. I get an error message saying "Incompatible AFP" or something like that. Anyone have any ideas about how to work around this?
Here's a tip, for future reference: It's really hard to have any idea of what could be causing a problem when you have no information other than a paraphrased error message, unless one is really familiar with that problem. Now I probably won't know the answer to your question, but perhaps someone else will if you post the exact error message you're getting instead of "something like that." With the latter, you're unlikely to get much help at all unless someone else has had the exact same problem.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cupar, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
 
OS X 10.4.4 didn't fix the sleep issues I have with my USB 2.0 PCI card. Still lots of moans on the Apple discussion boards about it. I even have one of those recommended by Apple.

Roll on 10.4.5. Maybe the new drivers mentioned in some of the early info will help.
     
Thinine
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2006, 07:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by David Lee
After updating my iBook to 10.4.4 I can no longer connect to a Blue&White G3 acting as a file server at work. The G3 is running OS 9 ver 9.1. OS X 10,3.9 Panther had no trouble at all accessing that machine. I get an error message saying "Incompatible AFP" or something like that. Anyone have any ideas about how to work around this?
The error is exactly what it says. Tiger is incompatible with the AFP in 9.1. Why they did that, I don't know.
     
David Lee
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2006, 07:50 PM
 
Thanks Thinine. That sounds funky, why would they cut off at 9.1, OK 8.6 or so I could understand, but anyway....
Do you know if OS 9.2.2 is the same or does it work? I could always update the OS on that machine if the compatibility with 9.2.2 is any better. Hesitate to muck with the system on that machine, it is constantly being used for scans and file transferes, unless I know there is an advantage.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 28, 2006, 08:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by David Lee
Thanks Thinine. That sounds funky, why would they cut off at 9.1, OK 8.6 or so I could understand, but anyway....
Do you know if OS 9.2.2 is the same or does it work? I could always update the OS on that machine if the compatibility with 9.2.2 is any better. Hesitate to muck with the system on that machine, it is constantly being used for scans and file transferes, unless I know there is an advantage.
I transferred some files from a 9.2.2 machine to a Tiger machine last summer, and it seemed to work okay.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,