Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Palm rest layer is coming off

Palm rest layer is coming off
bingpwr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 05:18 PM

Hi, I just got my macbook about 4 weeks ago, and I've recently noticed the palm rest layer that discolors for some is starting to come off. I handle this laptop like a baby since it is my first, and I find it awkward that this layer is coming off. I will post some pictures soon. Anybody else experience this? If so, should I go to the Genius bar and ask for some help? I'm not sure how to approach this because I'm not so sure they'd do anything about it. Thanks.

azncreazion
Jul 28, 2006, 07:28 PM

Yea i had that happento me, you mean the top case is not attatched to the body anymore right? Like this pic.... http://appledefects.com/wiki/images/...seperation.jpg

bingpwr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2006, 07:49 PM

yes! But mine isn't as drastic as that. It seems like it's gonna become like that sooner or later... also, the place where that's happening is near the magnet that closes the laptop. What did you do?

Ciber
Jul 29, 2006, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by azncreazion
Yea i had that happento me, you mean the top case is not attatched to the body anymore right? Like this pic.... http://appledefects.com/wiki/images/...seperation.jpg
Your laptop is coming apart, get it replaced.

azncreazion
Jul 29, 2006, 02:36 AM

Already did

bingpwr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 03:43 PM

Did you go through applecare or did someone help you at the store? I got mine through an apple store nearby, and was wondering if they could do anything for me since it's much faster than 7-10 days...

azncreazion
Jul 29, 2006, 08:44 PM

Well I called applecare once.... and I did not want to wait for like 2 weeks. I went to the apple store after that and they said they had to ship it out. I waited two weeks, came back and they said we will order the part. 3 days later, they called me..... Went in there dropped it off... got it back in 2 hours. ONly thing was.... it was totally scratched up when I got it back. But a new top case was on it.

bingpwr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 10:41 PM

well, I dropped by the store where I purchased the macbook. The guy at the genius bar said that "it is within spec", so all he did was put a notice on my serial #....but damn... I thought they'd at least do something.
( Last edited by bingpwr; Jul 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM. )

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bingpwr
well, I dropped by the store where I purchased the macbook. The guy at the genius bar said that "it is within spec", so all he did was put a notice on my serial #....but damn... I thought they'd at least do something.
May I ask you which Apple store did you go so I know not to go there?

bingpwr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 02:30 PM

The Apple store in Fashion Island, Newport Beach. The guy was nice, but didn't do squat for me. He said if it does become worse, then go back and he'll ship it out for me.

chadseld
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 10:45 AM

Push the top piece back down and tighten the screws around the side of the notebook, including the screws inside the battery compartment. You may want to loosen the screws a bit so that you can push the top piece back down all the way.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 02:47 PM

The screws on the side of the notebook are there for purely cosmetic reasons. They serve no real purpose.
Linkinus is king.

bingpwr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 04:58 PM

Yeah, i tried tightening...doesn't do anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules