Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Standard mac mice- worse product from Apple ever

Standard mac mice- worse product from Apple ever
Ado
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2009, 04:44 AM

I have a 2009 series of wired mac mice and both stop scrolling down.. Maybe due to gunk etc.
I've tried the upside down sticky take rolling trick etc and they work for a lil while but not always.

I have disassembled this mouse and found it is different from others on youtube in the assemble.
The 2009 latest mice don't let you re assemble it back due to the two side buttons pegs not being able to snap back.

Anyone else opened a 2009 mouse before?

I have noticed the difference with the new mice are they have white side buttons.
( Last edited by Ado; Oct 6, 2009 at 05:53 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2009, 08:01 AM

The MightyMouse is well known for the scroll ball being a gunk magnet. There are a number of ways to address this, all detailed in the Consumer Hardware forum (which is where this belongs, NOT the iPod/iPhone forum). Do a quick search and you'll find two basic methods; cleaning externally and disassembly for through cleaning. If you got these mice with a Mac, I think it's a good compromise to just clean 'em good now and then rather than spending more money on third-party mice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2009, 09:47 AM

While I liked my Mighty Mouse, I eventually got sick of having to clean it (which always happened when I was in the middle of an FPS game) and bought a Logitech Notebook v450 Laser mouse for my MacPro...love that mouse but do not recommend LCC 3.x.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2009, 09:53 AM

I swapped all my MM for Logitech mice and I'm very happy. They're inexpensive but robust and reliable.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 7, 2009, 04:36 AM

It's up to you if you want to stay with the Mighty Mouse. I have a Logitech mouse for about 6 years and it works great. I've never have to clean or service it. It was also their basic mouse so it wasn't really expensive.

I was never really a Mighty Mouse fan. I gave it a try several times but ended up going back to my Logitech mouse. I also prefer two dedicated buttons rather than Apple's hybrid two in one button style.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2009, 06:07 AM

Worst Apple product IMO are the headphones!! Followed closely by the mice... they need to take a rain check on the design!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2009, 02:28 PM

There's a successor of the current mouse in the works.

I hope it'll have a decent trackball. The current mouse is a piece of junk.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2009, 02:49 PM

Have you ever tried the hockey puck mouse? Not a bad mouse but it was so easy to get the orientation off which isn't so good when playing a game (like Quake III or Unreal Tourny). The MM is marginally better but Apple's track record with mice is bad.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2009, 02:50 PM

Bah! It's not even the worst mouse Apple has ever made.

(Double-Bah! cgc beat me to it....)

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2009, 03:12 PM

Oddly enough, I actually liked the hockey puck. Sure, it lacked scrolling and a second button, but I never once got the pangs of carpal tunnel while using it. I think its because I scooted it around with my fingers instead of moving my wrist. I'm probably one of the only ones, though.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2009, 11:36 PM

The hockey puck atleast never failed... But broke your hands.

These new apple might mice are garbage

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by TimmyDee51 View Post
Oddly enough, I actually liked the hockey puck. Sure, it lacked scrolling and a second button, but I never once got the pangs of carpal tunnel while using it. I think its because I scooted it around with my fingers instead of moving my wrist. I'm probably one of the only ones, though.
I like it as well. Very comfortable. I'd love a laser version.

I think the Mighty Mouse is okay as a standard mouse (look at the junk that comes from other PC makers). But for $49 on its own, I expect a bit more.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 8, 2009, 01:15 AM

I also liked the puck (at least, the second gen with the dimple in the button). The reason people hate it is because it doesn’t guide your hand to the correct holding position, so they grab it wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules