Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mountain Lion 10.8.2 - Logon screen hangs briefly before I'm able to log in

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 - Logon screen hangs briefly before I'm able to log in
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2012, 04:29 PM

On my macbook pro (retina), when I wake the computer from sleep, the logon screen usually hangs for anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds. The mouse doesn't appear and I can't type anything. Additionally, the time at the top right is the time of when I closed the lid. After maybe about 5 seconds, the mouse appears, the cursor starts blinking in the password box, and the time updates. This doesn't happen all the time either. If the computer was in sleep for a few hours it'll wake instantly and i'll be able to type in my password immediately. But if its in sleep for 12 hours then I notice this problem.

Is this a known issue with Mountain Lion? Has anyone else experienced this?
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

ibook_steve
Nov 14, 2012, 04:54 PM

This happens all the time on my 2010 MBP. I've never thought of it as an issue.

What is an issue that I've noticed is if you start typing your password and then stop for a moment, for some reason the already entered password characters get highlighted, meaning if you continue typing, you'll overwrite the characters you've already entered! This is not usually an issue for me, but when I'm using AirParrot to my TV and using Mobile Mouse to control from my iPhone, I have to make sure I type my password in fast enough to get out of the lock screen.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2012, 05:00 PM

Strange. I've never once had the logon screen hang after sleep on my G4 powerbook.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by warra View Post
Strange. I've never once had the logon screen hang after sleep on my G4 powerbook.
You are not running mountain lion so are unlikely to experience mountain lion related issues.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2012, 03:43 AM

Ahem.

He's the original poster, comparing his current experience to his previous machine.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2012, 04:24 PM

yes, I'm wondering why i never saw this issue on my powerbook g4 1.5ghz and 1.25gb ram running snow leopard, but the logon screen will hang on the macbook pro retina.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 PM

macbook pro retina. ssd 512gb. 16gb ram. 2.6ghz i7. As far as dock icons - i think i've removed maybe one or two since i originally bought the computer. So I have 16 icons total.

This issue doesn't happen all the time. It is sporadic. After the 10.8.2 supplemental updated #2 was released I actually didn't see this issue occur for a little while. So i thought the update had some bug fixes. But then the issue came back.

Even if there is some background process that is running, i think my laptop has plenty of resources to handle it while allowing me to log on instantly.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2012, 02:18 PM

Lion and Mountain Lion are definitely more prone to odd login window behaviour than some of the older versions of OS X. I don't see a simple solution without combing through your system logs though. Unless you want to wipe your drive and reinstall.

I've used one of those retina MBPs, they are wonderfully quick. This is not being caused by too many icons on your dock.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 30, 2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Caren View Post
Hello warra,
I would suggest that you should defrag your Mac by some good Mac defragmentation tool. You can find it with google.
Defrag Mac will helps to keep fragmented data together in memory so that processor could work more efficiently. Let me know.
Don't ever defragment the disk on that Mac! Defragmentation is about moving files together on a hard disk so they can be read sequentially, which is marginally faster in some cases, but the Retina MBP uses an SSD. Not only does defragmenting an SSD not help performance, running a defragmentation actively damages the SSD a little bit.

Defragmentation is a holdover from the days when hard drives were smaller and were usually mostly full, combined with a defect in the original FAT filesystem in DOS and early Windows. FAT lacks a Free Space Bitmap, which means that allocation is inherently inefficient and causes fragmentation over time. On a modern Mac with SSD or Fusion Drive, never ever run a defragmentation program. On a Mac with only an HDD, it doesn't exactly hurt, but it doesn't help much either - the OS will do defragmentation of smaller files on the fly.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the tip about the defragmentation but I know that I don't need to. As far as I know HFS+ automatically defrags.

What i did find however might be related to the calendar. Whenever I encounter this freezing, I open Console once I log in and I always see an error with CalendarAgent not being able to connect. Any ideas on that? com.apple.calendar.store.queue...account refresh failed with error...the internet connection appears to be offline.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 04:23 AM

Fragmentation is completely irrelevant with SSD drives.

The issues with fragmentation arise on mechanical hard drives, where a read/write head has to be positioned over the platter. If it can just start reading and keep going in a single segment, it is much faster than if it has to be repositioned dozens or hundreds of times for various fragments of a file, spread out across the drive.

An SSD can read every single sector with equal speed, as no repositioning of anything is required (no moving parts at all), so the whole concept of fragmentation is rather alien to the way it works.

There are other technical issues, such as logical blocks and TRIM and such, but not fragmentation.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2012, 06:41 PM

I did a little research and unchecked "Calendars and Reminders" for Gmail in the "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" preference pane.

So far, I haven't experienced the issue, even after a long sleep of over 12 hours. Hopefully this was the fix. I'll follow up again in a few days to let you all know.

P
Dec 3, 2012, 12:45 AM

Interesting. Thanks for updating us.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2012, 04:43 PM

nope. that wasn't it. Still hangs on logon after long sleep time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2012, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Caren View Post
Yes, HFS+ automatically defrag but what about large heavy files, for that you need to defragmentation. If you do defragmentation frequently , it may harm SSD but sometimes it doesn't matter.
Thanks for updating us "Calendars and Reminders"..great!!!
Defragmentation is not an option for SSDs.

The update on calendars and reminders is not so great. It didn't work.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2013, 03:04 PM

Looks like the latest 10.8.3 update has solved this. I haven't noticed this since the update.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2013, 06:43 AM

I also have this issue. It affects both my MBP and my Mac Pro. It began with 10.8.0, as far as I can recall, and has persisted into 10.8.3. I reported it to Apple via the feedback pages months ago. Considering the other things they have not yet fixed in 10.8.3 I doubt that this will be top of their list.

It's getting on my nerves now and I would love to see it fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules