Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 61)
ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2013, 04:01 AM

PvZ 2. How free to play games should be done. Why Plants Vs Zombies 2 puts Candy Crush Saga's nefarious money-grabbing to shame | Features | Edge Online

I downloaded PvZ 2 yesterday, and its good so far. I'd agree with them about Candy Crush being a money grabber, I have managed to get most of the way through it without paying to advance, with the exception of buying a ticket early on, since then, the FB friend thing has worked ok. But if you don't do FB, its 69p every few levels thankyouplease

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Aug 16, 2013, 04:45 AM

I've played PvZ2 as well, and it's good, but it would have been so much nicer if it had been a regular game. The extra plants that can not be unlocked in the game are basically overpriced day zero DLC. The fact that you can't really start earning stars in a world until you've basically finished it means that you have to go back and replay levels - or pay. That you can buy keys and gold is meh, I don't really care, but the other two are one notch too close to annoying. If they had unlocked earning stars directly, I could try to achieve them the first time through instead of being forced to replay stages. If they had to sell extra plants as DLC, at least make a decently-priced bundle out of them. As it is, it is saved by the core gameplay being so strong as it is - replaying a stage doesn't matter much when the stages are so similar anyway, and there are many new plants to play with - but it could easily have been so much better.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2013, 03:40 PM

PvZ2 feels like PvZ with in-app purchases.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2013, 03:28 PM

Valve voice actor says Half-Life 3 is not in development • News • PC • Eurogamer.net

ORIGINAL STORY: Half-Life 2 voice actor John Patrick Lowrie has stated that, as far as he knows, Half-Life 3 is not currently in development.

Half-Life 2 had good acting, but no one reacted to you jumping on their heads while they were talking. Try mo-capping a reaction to that!
The chief reason for this, Lowrie believes, is today's limited motion-capture tech. "As far as I know they are not developing HL3 now for several reasons, among them the mo-cap issue," Lowrie explained in a comment on his blog. (Thanks, NeoGAF). "What they might decide in the future depends on lots of different factors. I hope they do, personally, but it has to make sense for them."
UPDATE: The Valve voice actor who last week suggested Half-Life 3 was not currently in production has retracted his statement.

John Patrick Lowrie has removed the comments from his personal blog and posted a retraction - reproduced in full below.

So, is Half-Life 3 in production after all? Lowrie now claims "I really don't know".

"My comments just seemed to cause a whole bunch of confusion and when I tried to minimize the confusion I misspoke and caused a whole bunch more confusion," he said. "The most important thing to know about voice actors is that we're the last to know anything. We don't find out about a project until we get hired to do voices for it.

"What I was trying to say before (and failed) is that whatever Gabe Newell has to say about a project is the best info you're going to get. He owns the company and knows what's going on.

"Sorry that I gave the impression that I know what's going on. I really wasn't trying to and I really don't know."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2013, 04:30 PM

Maybe Valve came to the realization that there's no possible way for them to meet expectations, so they scrapped it.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Maybe Valve came to the realization that there's no possible way for them to meet expectations, so they scrapped it.
There's two 'nots' in the thread title.

..and yes, they're ****ed on expectations.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2013, 09:59 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2013, 05:01 AM

Not official yet, but there are many many reports that European Xbox One consoles will have FIFA 2014 as a free game in the box. Some of the reports say that it will be free with every console (likely), some say its a separate bundle that will be available to pre order at the same price from Gamescom onwards (not likely, it would piss off the early/day one pre orderers). If they do this outside Europe, the game could be Battlefield 4 or NFS Rivals.

Microsoft expected to ship FIFA 14 free with every Xbox One in Europe | Games | Geek.com

Edit: Confirmed. Free download FIFA 2014 with every Xbox One pre order in Europe. Existing pre orders will be upgraded. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/20/al...e-get-fifa-14/
( Last edited by ajprice; Aug 20, 2013 at 06:12 AM. )

P
Aug 20, 2013, 09:58 AM

From the "I should really be reading the PA Report more"-files:

The PA Report - Swimming in a sea of shit: Phil Fish and the Internet’s war against creatives

TL;DR: Insane people harass and threaten game developers for not doing exactly what they want, having opinions and generally just being in the public eye, and they all seem to think that this is normal and expected. Not that Fish seems like a nice and agreeable person, but seriously?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2013, 10:08 AM

EA begins offering refunds for its digital game sales on Origin | Ars Technica
In its continuing effort to set itself apart from market leader Steam, EA has announced that titles it publishes on its Origin digital distribution service can now be returned for a full refund up to seven days after purchase if the consumer isn't completely satisfied.

The newly revealed Great Game Guarantee program will put a handy "request a refund" button right on the Origin order history page for eligible games. For now, only games published directly by EA on Origin will be eligible for the program; titles from other third-party publishers can't be returned. DLC is also not eligible for the guarantee.

Refunds can be requested for games up to seven days after they're purchased (or pre-ordered), but if you download and play the game once, you narrow that window to 24 hours from the time of the first play (that applies to all games in a multi-game bundle if you play a single game in that bundle, as well). After you request a refund, EA promises to respond within two days and issues your refund within seven to ten days, if you meet the timing criteria.
Dear EA, I am not completely satisfied with this game I haven't played once in seven days. Please refund me.

P
Aug 20, 2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
EA begins offering refunds for its digital game sales on Origin | Ars Technica

Dear EA, I am not completely satisfied with this game I haven't played once in seven days. Please refund me.
Yes, but it's nice if you bought the wrong game by mistake, or if you fail the hardware reqs or something like that. That said, Steam will also refund your game if you contact Steam support and have a valid concern, even if it really was your own fault (I once bought a DLC that was not available for the Mac version of the game, and they refunded me anyway).

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
PvZ2 feels like PvZ with in-app purchases.
Having played it a bit more, it's growing on me. The addition of plant food adds a significant new strategic element. Replaying old stages with arbitrary limitations (don't spend sun for 60 seconds! Now do 90 seconds! Now 120!) gets old, but the fact remains that you don't get a lot of variation in this game in any case.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2013, 10:54 AM

Fable Legends pops up as online Xbox One exclusive | Tech Culture - CNET News

I enjoyed Fable 2 (after grinding through the blacksmith stuff to get money), never played Fable 3. One of the rare times that I haven't thrown the controller due to 3rd person issues.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2013, 02:38 PM

PlayStation 4 will launch in North America on November 15 | Ars Technica
Back at E3, Sony was only willing to say that the PlayStation 4 would be released this holiday season. Today, the company locked down a North American date of November 15, 2013 for the new system with a European date of November 29. The system will be available in 32 countries by the end of the year, the company said.

P
Aug 20, 2013, 04:09 PM

Meanwhile, semiaccurate essentially confirms that the reduced Xbone launch is about supply issues with the SOC. At the same time, AMD launches an update to their graphics card line (code name Volcanic Islands) around October, and they have a major new CPU launch (Kaveri, with new CPU core design Steamroller, new in a big CPU graphics cores GCN, and a new memory arch to make it all work) coming later this fall - and that other big console launch.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2013, 04:35 PM

Almost an old school news dump!

Xbox One dashboard: what to expect

It's worth mentioning that there will be a new follow / follower mode when it comes to friends etc. Think twitter, and you get how this works. This basically means you can follow 1,000 players, and have unlimited followers, doing away with the 100 limit of the Xbox 360. A welcome relief for many.

DICE talks Star Wars: Battlefront: 'People don’t want Battlefield with Star Wars graphics’ - Star Wars: Battlefront for Xbox One News

Battlefield 4’s executive producer Patrick Bach has discussed the progress on DICE’s upcoming Star Wars: Battlefront title, revealing that the team has yet to decide whether to make the game feel more like Battlefield or previous Star Wars: Battlefront titles.

“We haven’t really locked that down yet,” Bach told VideoGamer.com earlier today when asked which direction DICE was taking for the upcoming reboot, and whether it would feel more familiar to Battlefield players than Battlefront fans.

“I think there’s of course a part of the DICE DNA to build the games that we’re building, but then again we’re building games like Mirror’s Edge as well. So I think it will be a challenge for us.

“[You’re] damned if you do, damned if you don’t,” he continued. “People don’t want another Battlefield with Star Wars graphics; they want a Star Wars game that is proper.

“But then again, if you compromise brilliant design choices from Battlefield just because you’re not allowed from some kind of moral standpoint, then I think that’s also wrong. We need to make the best game possible. What that means in detail, we will see.”

Also, Sony announced they have a million preorders (no idea if thats good or bad at this stage of the game)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2013, 09:54 AM

This is the best thing I've heard in a while
News: EA planning second wave of original IP on next-gen - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
Last year Gibeau told CVG that the company was working on "between three and five" new IPs for next-generation consoles.

Now, speaking to CVG in an interview at Gamescom, the exec confirmed that number has grown to around "half a dozen".

EA is planning to release the original properties as part of its 'second wave' of next-gen console releases, Gibeau said.

As well as the recently announced Mirror's Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront, the exec explained that EA considers sequel Dragon Age: Inquisition as a new IP because it's being reinvented with "a new approach".

"We've now got half a dozen [original IPs] in development," Gibeau said. "We've announced a couple of them, Mirror's Edge and Battlefront, but we've also added some as well. The last time I spoke about this we hadn't done the Star Wars deal, so there are those games too."

From the "I ****ing told you so" files

P
Aug 23, 2013, 10:04 AM

Ballmer is out at MS. OK, so he stays on until they have a new name, but it's 12 months max. Can't help but wonder if the Xbox Once launch debacle was the last straw.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Ballmer is out at MS. OK, so he stays on until they have a new name, but it's 12 months max. Can't help but wonder if the Xbox Once launch debacle was the last straw.
In what sense? But considering the XBOX is such a smaller part of that company, I doubt it.

P
Aug 23, 2013, 10:48 AM

I just wonder if they know something we don't - preorder figures, for instance - and that it was the last in a long string of execution failures. MS can't seem to catch a break lately: Windows 8 is a failure with OEMs patching it to reintroduce the Start button, or looking at Chrome. The Surface tablet is an expensive dud that antagonized some of MS' closest allies. Windows Phone just can't seem to sell. It might just have been that the Surface writedown thing lead to a board discussion about Ballmer, and when this thing came on top of it, it was just too much.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2013, 10:52 AM

I just wonder if they know something we don't - preorder figures, for instance
We don't know those suck?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2013, 11:37 AM

...and the denial

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2013, 11:40 AM

GTA site got updated with more pics.

Some are gorgeous...

Some are something else...

sek, is your gf familiar this yoga pose?

P
Aug 23, 2013, 11:58 AM

We don't know those suck?
Preorder figures for next-gen games are actually OK, so they can't suck too badly. I think we know that they're worse than Sony's, though, or MS would have announced.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2013, 05:07 AM

P
Aug 28, 2013, 05:14 AM

So basically confirming all the rumors, except the eSRAM is on die and not just on package, and there are 15 specialized coprocessors that one can use. Hmm...specialized cores with lots of power that is tricky to exploit. Cell, anyone?

The die size, btw, is almost exactly the same as the Radeon 7970 but with many more transistors (ie denser).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2013, 12:28 PM

I've heard the past year or so how IGN is always int he bag for MS. Well, I read a demonstration of that today. Talk about a non-story.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2013, 01:41 PM

Nintendo 2DS. A DS system, laid flat without the hinge, that plays DS games, and 3DS games in 2D. $129. Can't quite process this yet, but I think Ninty have been smoking the weird stuff.

Nintendo 2DS out Oct. 12 for $130, plays all 3DS, DS games | Joystiq

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2013, 02:49 PM

I've heard the past year or so how IGN is always int he bag for MS. Well, I read a demonstration of that today. Talk about a non-story.
I'm going to pre-order a PS4 dev kit instead; it's the only way to be sure.

HAHA, loved that line.

Nintendo 2DS. A DS system, laid flat without the hinge, that plays DS games, and 3DS games in 2D. $129. Can't quite process this yet, (…)
I guess the pictured boy is under six.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2013, 03:05 PM

Must be, if it was a 3DS his parents would be paraded through the streets and stoned

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2013, 03:17 PM

I thought the main screen was on the bottom. Have I always been mistaken about this?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2013, 03:20 PM

Microsoft refutes conspiracies about Xbox One DRM bait-and-switch | Ars Technica

Mere moments after Microsoft made its now-famous about-face on disc-based game restrictions for the Xbox One, the conspiracy theories began sprouting up. Microsoft was just pulling a bait-and-switch, the argument goes, and once all you suckers actually buy the system, the company is going to reinstate all those used-game restrictions and online requirements and laugh all the way to the bank AHAHAHAHAHA.
Penello's response predictably denied that any such thing would ever happen. "I don’t see [a return to the old DRM policies] ever happening with content you’re buying today either on disc and digitally," he wrote.
Well that's reassuring. Because there's so much difference between ****ing people over on the console today vs. tomorrow. Hint: It's not about what we currently own.

P
Aug 28, 2013, 04:27 PM

I thought the main screen was on the bottom. Have I always been mistaken about this?
Well, main... The lower screen is the touch-sensitive one. This means that the upper one is where most of the action happens, because you don't want to have a stylus or a finger covering the action. The lower is generally used for extra controls. This is the way it's been since the original DS - the 3DS only made the upper display bigger. When playing GBA games, you pick which display should be used.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2013, 04:29 PM

Right. I always thought the top screen was for the stylus based on PR shots. This is mind-blowing for me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2013, 07:47 PM

The 2DS idea is actually brilliant.

Nintendo knows that it has legions of (very) young gamers waiting in the wings. This is going to be a cash cow for Nintendo — the 3DS really has its legs under it these days, and stripping away the 3D technology alleviates the concerns of parents AND makes it cheaper.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2013, 07:54 PM

Scott Lowe and Ryan McCaffrey are always treating Microsoft with kid gloves, certainly.

Meanwhile, their Sony crew (Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty) criticized Sony so openly and often on particular issues that Shuhei Yoshida, who actually listens to every podcast episode, incorporated their criticism into Sony's PS4 strategy.

On another note: I'm interested in Titanfall.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Scott Lowe and Ryan McCaffrey are always treating Microsoft with kid gloves, certainly.

Meanwhile, their Sony crew (Greg Miller, Colin Moriarty) criticized Sony so openly and often on particular issues that Shuhei Yoshida, who actually listens to every podcast episode, incorporated their criticism into Sony's PS4 strategy.

On another note: I'm interested in Titanfall.
I'm a huge fan of Podcast Beyond. (BEYOND!!)

Are you guys saying IGN is biased towards Microsoft?

I did notice that around E3, when M$ screwed up with its always on drm crap, that Miller et al were not as critical as you'd expect, and they almost brushed it off as not a big deal. (But in their defense they did praise Sony for their policy response). Their criticism of the Vita has been sustained and brutal though.

Personally, I thought the Sony team would be more pro-Sony and less pro-M$, in general. I wonder if it's symptomatic of the fact that they are "N.American gamers" whose friends are mostly on the XBox, etc?

Cheers

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2013, 04:44 PM

Xbox voice commands will not be available in all markets on the product release date. Voice commands will be available at launch in US, UK, CA, FR, and DE.
That's right, one of the killer features and reasons to include the kinect will only be available in 5 of 13 countries. MS continues to impress.

Edit: Guess it can't handle Aussies (or not released there?)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2013, 04:49 PM

Edit: Guess it can't handle Aussies (or not released there?)
Nobody can handle Aussies, and we stopped releasing convicts there in the late 1800s.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2013, 08:03 PM

I have to say, Mac gaming is in such sad shape. My Steam client always crashed after trying to quit, Endless Space would always lock on quit and now SimCity hung on Exit.

Edit: Not only did it lock on Exit, I've Force Quit the app which disappeared from the dock, but the main menu is still my 'desktop' and going into activity monitor and force quitting has had no effect. Wow!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Nobody can handle Aussies, and we stopped releasing convicts there in the late 1800s.
Oye! Gotta love the geniuses who send convicts from a dreary rain soaked island to a sun drenched praradice. ( im Ozzie)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2013, 10:58 PM

A sun drenched paradise crawling with animals that want to kill you.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2013, 01:21 AM

I have to say, Mac gaming is in such sad shape. My Steam client always crashed after trying to quit, Endless Space would always lock on quit and now SimCity hung on Exit.
Time to build a gaming PC...less than $450 for something that will run Skyrim on Ultra without fussing. XBox 360 controller and USB adapter for $41, set Steam to start at bootup and start in Big Picture mode. Boom, done. It's how I played GTA IV, Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause, Max Payne 3, and Borderlands 2.

P
Aug 30, 2013, 03:17 AM

I have to say, Mac gaming has been so much worse - and there are certainly issues on the PC side as well, what with every game requiring installation of surrounding garbage that has its own update frequency. I have to install Games for Windows Live to make Batman:AA work, but the fact that it has been installed changes the behavior of games like Fallout 3. And then when I install Batman:AC and it requires a new version of the same garbage GFWL, it all changes again - in fact not working at all at first. And why do I have to reinstall DirectX every single time I install a game? That's not even mentioning Origin and Uplay and whatever they're called.

You can make a quite capable gaming PC for little money right now, though. You can basically get away with a Core i3 dualcore CPU (although an i5 quad is probably a good buy) and a midrange card like the Radeon 7850 I got. Prices on AMD cards are in freefall right now as the launch of the next generation of cards (Volcanic Islands) is rumored for September or October.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 07:51 AM

A sun drenched paradise crawling with animals that want to kill you.
Oh don't forget the sharks and crocs. Girly men and wingers wouldn't feel comfortable.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Time to build a gaming PC...less than $450 for something that will run Skyrim on Ultra without fussing. XBox 360 controller and USB adapter for $41, set Steam to start at bootup and start in Big Picture mode. Boom, done. It's how I played GTA IV, Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause, Max Payne 3, and Borderlands 2.
I have to say, Mac gaming has been so much worse - and there are certainly issues on the PC side as well, what with every game requiring installation of surrounding garbage that has its own update frequency. I have to install Games for Windows Live to make Batman:AA work, but the fact that it has been installed changes the behavior of games like Fallout 3. And then when I install Batman:AC and it requires a new version of the same garbage GFWL, it all changes again - in fact not working at all at first. And why do I have to reinstall DirectX every single time I install a game? That's not even mentioning Origin and Uplay and whatever they're called.

You can make a quite capable gaming PC for little money right now, though. You can basically get away with a Core i3 dualcore CPU (although an i5 quad is probably a good buy) and a midrange card like the Radeon 7850 I got. Prices on AMD cards are in freefall right now as the launch of the next generation of cards (Volcanic Islands) is rumored for September or October.
It's only been a few months, but apart from eye candy, I'm not convinced that PC gaming is that much better than a console. Jack of all trades, master of none I suppose. Like P says, there's all the shite that goes along with the games on a PC, plus unless you're rich you'll probably use the same PC for surfing, updating your CV, paying the bills etc. OS updates, printer updates, graphics card updates, Java security updates, and of course Windows asking you if you want to run something are getting on my tits.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 08:36 AM

So, Aspyr has released the Mac port of Bioshock Infinite, and apparently the results are not stellar.

First, you can't set anything higher than "normal." And you can't set the resolution higher than 800p. And the performance is still much worse than the same machine playing on Bootcamp with higher detail and native res.

Aspyr blames this on Apple's old version of OpenGL, and says they will revisit things when Mavericks comes out, which has many OpenGL improvements.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Oh don't forget the sharks and crocs. Girly men and wingers wouldn't feel comfortable.
Really?

P
Aug 30, 2013, 09:27 AM

The upsides of PC gaming, IMO

* Lots of games dirt cheap on Steam sales, Humble Bundles and various other time-limited races
* Shorter load times - or no load times, frequently
* The ability to quickly upgrade the GPU for a big performance boost when required, or overclocking something when you're just a little short of the performance you need
* Mods. There are some games where you simply have to have the mods, there are games where the mods fix bugs that the developer just won't and there are others where the mods are impressive enough that it feels lke you get another game. Skyrim is an example of at least two of these - the console version is half a game.
* A choice in controller. I won't start the mouse&keyboard vs. controller debate, but with a PC you at least have the option.

The downside is the mess with extra installs I mentioned above, the higher hardware cost if you buy prebuilt and more time fiddling with it if you build your own. Right now I'm lucky enough to have an old ("free") box to game on with only a new GPU. The advantage is that I can nuke&pave when I have to and if the PC is down for the count, I don't HAVE to fix it directly - because all the important real life stuff is on the Mac.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Two assumptions:
A. That I care that much about gaming on a computer
B. That I would want to play those games on a PC

You'd be wrong on both counts.

Not to mention building a PC is more work than installing bootcamp and really, **** that. I'm on consoles for a reason.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2013, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Oh don't forget the sharks and crocs.
Those also fall under the category "animals"

Forum Links
Forum Rules