Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Sharing files between 2 mac

Sharing files between 2 mac
V
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 11:03 PM

I have 2 mac next to each other and I'm unable to share files between the two. Tabarnak (****ing computers)

I used to disconnect a hard drive and put it in the other computer when I had two G4 but the G5 doesn't have the same hard drive slots.

I tried appletalk with an ethernet cable but I can't get it to work.

Fellow Macnners, I once again need your help.

Baldrick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 11:46 PM

If you do not want to move the files to your public folder, then the best way that i've found to share a folder or volume (i currently use it to share my iPhoto folder) is to use a piece of software called SharePoints.

Just lets you connect the the files/folders as a remote server.

SharePoints on Versiontracker

Hope that helps,

Baldrick
12" PB revB

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 12:15 AM

Uh, how about FireWire target disk mode? That's easy and fast.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

V  (op)
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
Uh, how about FireWire target disk mode? That's easy and fast.
I did a search and that seems indeed a good way to transfert my files. I just don't have the right cable, all my firewire cables don't have the same plug on each end. I'll have to buy one that's ok.

thanks.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2004, 10:19 AM

file sharing is the worst thing about osX... It's crazy that one of the best solutions for this guy is to use FW target disk mode because the file sharing is such a hack.

Why do I need 3rd party tools to share a folder other than Public.. I don't want to store my files in public and I want to share them.. Christ... why is this so hard for apple to understand?

And using X in a Windows domain... Sometimes all the computers show up.. some times they don't... Maybe it'll work.. maybe not..

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by bartman00:
file sharing is the worst thing about osX...
Bart
I can only praise the computer Gods that filesharing on OS X works for me, without any problems. Obviously, YMMV. Don't know what problems you have with it.
FW target disk mode is a great option for us, as it makes this kind of job, especially if one of the Macs would not boot. You can still mount the drive from outside the Mac.
I wish this Dell 5100 laptop I am currently fixing had this feature. The laptop won't boot and the OS will not reinstall because of some bad boot sectors, but I can still see the data.
Instead, I have to fire us Norton Ghost server and boot from a CD a dump the entire image and extract the pieces when I am done. So much fun.

I can easily share my entire drive, iPod, external FW drive WITHOUT any 3rd party hacks too.

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 10:38 AM

You don't need to do any of that.

I'm assuming your computers are connect together on at least a LAN (i.e. via a router using ethernet).

Simply conect and log in to the other computer using the name and passward of the account the files are on. Everything in the user's home directory is available.

If you want to limit access then either put the files in the Public folder or in the Shared User.

The public folder is available to anyone who can see you computer on the network.

The shared folder is avialable only to those who have an account of the file sharing computer.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

coolmacdude
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
Simply conect and log in to the other computer using the name and passward of the account the files are on. Everything in the user's home directory is available.
And if they are an admin, the whole disk is.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 11:14 AM

You don't need to do any of that.

I'm assuming your computers are connect together on at least a LAN (i.e. via a router using ethernet).
Bad assumption when he specifically said:

"I tried appletalk with an ethernet cable but I can't get it to work."

And for the clown who called File Sharing on OS X a hack: you sir, are a hack. It works for me without even thinking about it. Hell, my mom can do it. You don't need any third party crap either. It's all included. RTFM.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

V  (op)
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 11:46 AM

I just don't know why Appletalk doesn't work. The 2 computers are directly connected with a single ethernet cable (The one I use for my DSl connection), file sharing is on, appletalk is active and firewall allows file sharing (all of that for both macs of course). I try to Connect to... the other computer using the address My computer's.local but that doesn't work. (rebooted the comps after network changes)

Should the other computer appeard by himself in the network window of the finder or desktop (I mean without doing "connect to")?

Why the network pref pane give me a .local address an not a aft: one?

Should the AppleTalk Zone menu of network pref pane become active? (It remains blank for both comp)?

Maybe the problem is my ethernet cable, it's the one I got with my DSL modem.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 12:04 PM

sorry--didn't read the problem carefully
( Last edited by scottiB; May 19, 2004 at 12:12 PM. )

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 12:06 PM

Obtain the other computer's IP address in the Network and see if you can PING it using the Network Utility app or from terminal ping 192.168.x.x or whatever IP range you are using.
You didn't mention what G4 you have, and although I am assuming it will work without a crossover ethernet cable. If you cannot ping the other Mac, no amount of stuff you do will help, as you don't have a connection.

soul searching
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by V:

Maybe the problem is my ethernet cable, it's the one I got with my DSL modem.
You need an ethernet crossover cable to connect the Macs directly.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

videian28
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 12:26 PM

bingo, you need a crossover cable

or connect both to a hub or switch

V  (op)
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 12:29 PM

I have a G4 DP 500 and a G5 1.6

Tried to ping without success. Seems I'll have to buy a crossover cable. Or maybe a IEEE cable. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Frank

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2004, 01:07 PM

Actually, I don't think you should need a crossover cable... A G4 Dual 500 should be one of the first models with auto-mdix ethernet, and the G5 definitely has it, meaning that you wouldn't need a crossover cable. AFAIK, I think only one of the computers actually has to have auto-mdix.

Most likely it just some network settings on one, or both, of the Macs that's screwing things up for you. If you have any special settings for your DSL connection, disable them... set both computers to plain old DHCP, turn off any PPPoE, turn off the firewall... in other words, put in plain, vanilla network settings, and enable file sharing. Then go try to see if either of the computers can see the other in the Finder's 'connect to server' pane, they should be able to. If not, consult Apple's support site, here's a page with some instructions.

Either way, it's probably easiest to just use firewire target disk mode, and that method is certainly not a 'hack.' File-sharing in Windows is not anymore elegant (ask anyone who has spent an hour trying to figure out why two PC's on the same network in the same workgroup can't see each other consistently), though it has improved in XP.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by V:
I have a G4 DP 500 and a G5 1.6

Tried to ping without success. Seems I'll have to buy a crossover cable. Or maybe a IEEE cable. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Frank
I would take the money you spend for a crossover cable and put the money towards a 4 port switch instead.

Some of the posters above stated you need a crossover cable, but that is only true for Macs going back to the era of the age of your DP500. I would have thought that Mac had the autosense feature built-in to the NIC.

Setting them for both DHCP will not work. If anything use a manual IP and set one at 10.0.0.1 and the other at 10.0.0.2 and use 255.255.255.0 as the net mask. But you are correct in stating that only one of the Macs needs the special NIC, which is the G5.
( Last edited by SMacTech; May 19, 2004 at 01:16 PM. )

Toyin
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 03:05 PM

I've got a DP 500 which worked fine sharing with my Al Powerbooks. All I needed to do was connect the ethernet cable attached to the router to the powerbook, turn on file sharing and wait a minute. Once the Dualie appeared in the network pane (or vice versa), I could log into the other computer. I've never had to change any settings.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 07:44 PM

You don't need a crossover cable. All recent Macs can handle a regular cable and do the crossing themselves. Did you configure the Macs to have a similar IP and subnet?

Mac 1
IP 192.168.1.1
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Mac 2
IP 192.168.1.2
Subnet 255.255.0.0

After that, you should be able to ping each other.

Also make sure you go into Sharing and turn on File sharing. You should then be able to see the computers when browsing the network. If not, in Finder click Go | Connect to Network then type afp://192.168.2.1 from your second machine.

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 12:10 AM

You definitely need a router. The usual setup is a follows:

Ethernet line comes out of DSL modem and goes into router.

Connect macs to router with ethernet lines (not crossovers)

Make sure file sharing is on (at least for machine to be shared).

Earlier I gave some ways you can share your files using the OS software. It really depends what and to whom you are sharing to.

If you basically want to get your files from one mac to another - then connect as yourself and you will have access to all the files on your home directory.

If you want to share files to others and limit what they can see and get, then either put the files in public (anyone can connect as guest) or Shared folder (only those who have an account can access).

I suggest the latter if the users are on the same network (ie in your house).

3rd party options are there. Other people may be able to help you with that.

First thing you need to get your network up and running properly. Very easy to set up - just need to by a router and cables.

Neil

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 08:31 AM

You definitely need a router. The usual setup is a follows:

Ethernet line comes out of DSL modem and goes into router.

Connect macs to router with ethernet lines (not crossovers)

Make sure file sharing is on (at least for machine to be shared).

Nope. He did not say he wanted to have them connected on the same network and have access to the net at the same time.

If he does not have the two computers sharing the same DSL connection and only wants to transfer files between the two every once in a while then there is no need for a router. That DP G4 does have an ethernet port that can take either X-over or straight through ethernet cables.... it has to since I have an older Sawtooth that does.

So just double check your network settings because it should work if all your ports are working and your cable is not damaged. But you really should invest in some hardware though. A ten dollar 6pin to 6pin firewire cable can be useful. You can network the computers with IP overfirewire or just do Target mode. And I am sure you can find a 10mb hub on craigslist or ebay under five bucks. Seems like no one wants them anymore but its fine for small to mid size file transfers over a home network. Having small stuff like that can help with troubleshooting and situations that will arise over the course of time.
( Last edited by Langdon; May 20, 2004 at 08:37 AM. )

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 12:14 PM

Nope. He did not say he wanted to have them connected on the same network and have access to the net at the same time.

If he does not have the two computers sharing the same DSL connection and only wants to transfer files between the two every once in a while then there is no need for a router. That DP G4 does have an ethernet port that can take either X-over or straight through ethernet cables.... it has to since I have an older Sawtooth that does.
I appreciate that he / she may not neccessarily need both machines to be able to use the dsl connection.

My point is that routers can be had for as little as $50 and it will provide a greater range of
function for both machines.

It also will allow the machines to share data whenever needed WITHOUT having to swap cables each time.

A router approach is more convenient in the long run and offers more functionality.

Neil

NeilCharter
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 12:34 PM

I appreciate that he / she may not neccessarily need both machines to be able to use the dsl connection.

My point is that routers can be had for as little as $50 and it will provide a greater range of
function for both machines.

It also will allow the machines to share data whenever needed WITHOUT having to swap cables each time.

A router approach is more convenient in the long run and offers more functionality.

Neil

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 01:34 PM

Just reiterating what others have said:
No need for a crossover cable.
Assign IPs manually (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2) with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.
AppleTalk will have nothing to do with this, since you seem to be on OS X.

David Lee
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 02:57 AM

In Panther, it is not enough to merely turn on sharing in the system preferences panel, you must also start up the "Directory Access" utility in the Applications/Utility folder and (click on the lock to allow changes first) put a check mark in front of the Apple Share box.
This is off by default I believe (may be wrong here, but it was off on my machine).
Then try (your pick) the other suggestion above, either for a router or just a cable, or use the firewire suggestion. I personally like the router solution as it also offers some important protection against hacking and it is certainly easy.
Unless you are tranfering a huge amount of files, a good network 100 base connection should be fast enough.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 24, 2004, 03:59 AM

What are you talking about? You certainly don't have to enable AppleTalk directory access, as that has absolutely nothing to do with TCP/IP networking.

Especially if you're running Panther, just using a hub or switch (because that's the only way to guarantee that the ethernet ports will actually get turned on!) should work, because Rendezvous should take care of IPs and DNS, as well as discovery.

tooki

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2004, 05:28 AM

If they're both AirPort-enabled, you can connect the two in a wireless network (I do it with my iBooks). You can't access the Net when doing this but I get better speeds than using an ethernet cord and hitting Apple K.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by David Lee:
In Panther, it is not enough to merely turn on sharing in the system preferences panel, you must also start up the "Directory Access" utility in the Applications/Utility folder and (click on the lock to allow changes first) put a check mark in front of the Apple Share box.
This is off by default I believe (may be wrong here, but it was off on my machine).
I have never had to do this and share files among Macs/PCs all the time.

V  (op)
Senior User
May 29, 2004, 02:01 PM

I'have tried everything and the network status keep saying that there's no ethernet cable plugged (yes the cable works).

So I've buy the firewire cable and I'm gonna use target disk mode. Thanks everybody for the help&advices.

Frank

neon_duke
Jun 2, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
And for the clown who called File Sharing on OS X a hack: you sir, are a hack. It works for me without even thinking about it. Hell, my mom can do it. You don't need any third party crap either. It's all included. RTFM.
I did RTFM, thank you, and I agree with the "hack" that file sharing in OSX sucks. I have to say, file sharing in OSX and above just stinks on ice. With all of the drawbacks of the older system, simple file sharing was one thing that was great.

With X, you need to create a whole profile/account on each computer (and even then you won't be able to see each other's files, just the files you each own), or you need to store EVERY COTTON-PICKIN' FILE YOU MIGHT EVER NEED in the "Public" or "Shared" folders.

Why can't I just define who my authenticated users are, and then decide which folders I'd like to share with whom? Just like the old "Users & Groups" setup... no need to make a whole profile I don't want, just to establish a network identity on another computer.

And that's leaving aside all the annoying ways you can generate conflicts between the profile and its network identity by (heaven forbid) trying to customize the names of the individual machines.

These "features" are among the stupidest "improvements" I've seen this side of the Windoze world. We may get stability and memory management from Linux, but this particular issue drives me insane. It's annoying enough that I've kept my central Mac at 9.2.2, and I just push everything onto it from the OSX machines and then pluck it off there from the other remote machines.

Unless I'm just incredibly stupid and I'm missing something totally obvious, which is always a possibility...
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules