Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wireless internet sharing

wireless internet sharing
Kerry Carlson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 12:26 PM

I have a powerbook with Panther and my daughter has a 12 inch I-Book with os X. They both have the airport card and want to be able to share internet with one computer being hooked thought the cable and the other connecting wirelessly. We also want to be able to share files between the two. We have tried to set it up and it seems that the two computers recognize each other but we can't seem to get past that point.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 30, 2004, 08:42 PM

You can hook on computer up with the cable internet connection and setup internet sharing using the Airport card. Open of System Preferences under the Apple icon on the menu on the top of the screen and choose sharing, then choose Internet. Set sharing from Ethernet and set to computers using Airport. You should be able to see each other and share files back and forth with no problems. If you do have problems you can turn file sharing on Personal File Sharing to allow access to the public folders on each computer. But you should be able to see each other and login as the user of the computer you want to login as just fine to share files.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

neon_duke
Jun 2, 2004, 03:47 PM

I have to say, file sharing in OSX and above just stinks on ice. With all of the drawbacks of the older system, simple file sharing was one thing that was great.

With X, you need to create a whole account on each computer (and even then you won't be able to see each other's files, just the files you each own), or you need to store EVERY COTTON-PICKIN' FILE YOU'LL EVER NEED in the "Public" folder.

This "feature" is among the stupidest "improvements" I've seen this side of the Windoze world. We may get stability and memory management from Linux, but this particular issue drives me insane. It's annoying enough that I've kept my central Mac at 9.2.2, and I just push everything onto it from the OSX machines and then pluck it off there from the other remote machine.

Unless I'm just incredibly stupid and I'm missing something totally obvious, which is always a possibility...

[edit] D'oh! A definite possibility, since I just posted this in the wrong thread! [/edit]
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 04:13 PM

All I do is login to any one of my computers running Mac OS X as the user of that computer. Then I can access their files and share my files. It's not that hard.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

neon_duke
Jun 4, 2004, 05:09 PM

But if you're logged in as one user, you can't access the files of another user unless they are specifically in the Shared folder. So if I log in as User A on Computer B in order to get network access to Computer A, then I can't see the User B's local files on Computer B at the same time...

It's very very Windoze like and thus very very annoying. I have excellent file/folder hygiene by my own habits, and I resent OSX telling me where I can and can't keep my files.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules