Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini benchmarks @ Macintouch

Mac mini benchmarks @ Macintouch
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2005, 04:08 PM

Looks like the mini is performing good:

http://www.macintouch.com/perfpack/comparison.html

recogniser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2005, 04:30 PM

The iMac G5 is a wonderful system, and we'd rather pay a few hundred dollars over the cost of an eMac to get one, but all the Apple hype about the G5 falls a little short when you see the low-cost eMac, with its slower G4 processor, pushing the iMac G5 in performance. The eMac is actually faster in several real-world situations, and it looks like low-level hardware design is responsible for eMac advantages in disk performance.

Adding the Mac Mini to the mix really changes the buying equation. For far less money than an iMac or even an eMac costs, you get excellent performance, silent operation and the ability to drive a big beautiful monitor of your own choosing, a critical feature missing from all but the Power Mac and big PowerBooks. The Mini's one weakness is disk performance, which may make the eMac a better choice for video, database and multimedia work, but it shouldn't be an issue in too many applications. For general home or office use, the Mini is perfect.

Wow, that made me feel really good about my Mac mini purchase!

Kelvin
Jan 22, 2005, 08:21 PM

I went to see the Mac Mini for the first time today. It's a nice looking package and I find it funny that if Apple had designed it in a larger enclosure everyone would have blasted it but in its small form factor it is quite appealling.

As nice as it looks though, it bogs down with only 256m of ram even with the 1.42 version I was testing out. I think most PC users not used to using a Mac will think its too slow and unresponsive. I was playing with the new iLife apps on it and iDVD requires so much disk access it slows down too much with only 256m. A PB 15" 1.5mhz with 1gig of ram I played with showed quite a difference in performance so a Mac Mini with a 1gig stick should be nice. I don't think I'd bother with a 512 stick unless you are really strapped.

The Plano Apple store was sold out before lunch time when I arrived both in Minis and Shuffles.

Kelvin

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 08:27 PM

doesn't getting your own RAM card (say 1gb) and installing it yourself void the warrenty?

johnpop
Jan 22, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by icibaqu:
doesn't getting your own RAM card (say 1gb) and installing it yourself void the warrenty?
No it does not. (erhh... I am pretty sure, check the apple website about installing ram to the mac mini to be sure)

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jan 22, 2005, 08:50 PM

Apple says it doesnt void the warrenty unless you damage something while your in there

here is a movie of how to open it up:
http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/01/t...ini-how-to.php

jnrjr79
Jan 24, 2005, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by NYK Ace:
Apple says it doesnt void the warrenty unless you damage something while your in there

here is a movie of how to open it up:
http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/01/t...ini-how-to.php
That's helpful.

"Oh yeah, you're totally covered unless of course you need anything fixed."
iMac G5: 1.8 GHz, 20'', 250 GB, 1280 RAM, APX, BT
iBook G3: 700 MHz, 12'', 30 GB, 640 RAM, AP
iPod 2G 20GB
iPod Shuffle 512 MB

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by jnrjr79:
That's helpful.

"Oh yeah, you're totally covered unless of course you need anything fixed."
Actually, that is true of any mac. Open it up and break something and it is your fault - no coverage.

But open it up to put RAM in, use it for 4 months, then have the optical drive fail - manufacturing defect covered by warranty.

How the hell would Apple know you opened it or a certified tech opened it?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2005, 12:32 PM

What sucks about the Mini is its availability.
If you want BTO options, you can't just buy it off the shelf and you'll have to wait 3-4 weeks.

-t

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
What sucks about the Mini is its availability.
If you want BTO options, you can't just buy it off the shelf and you'll have to wait 3-4 weeks.

-t
Well, my BTO will est. ship on or before 01.28

Forum Links
Forum Rules