Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Microphone with Intel Mac Mini?

Microphone with Intel Mac Mini?
recogniser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 06:56 PM

I just bought myself a new single-core mac mini today, and I've been messing around with Garage Band a bit. I have a cable that converts the 1/4 inch output from my keyboard into a 1/8 inch connector, so I plugged that into the back of the mini, and used it to record some keyboard tracks. But then I disconnected it and plugged in a basic 1/8 inch microphone, and I can't get any sound to come through. I was wondering if any of you might now why that is? I'm guessing it has something to do with the mic needing its own power source or something, but beyond that -- any suggetions?

The only option in System Preferences for audio in is the "audio in" port on the back, which I am using.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 7, 2006, 07:02 PM

The input is a line-level input, not a mike-level input. Microphones output mike-level, which is totally different and won't work. Use a microphone preamplifier or a mixer to bring the microphone to line level.

tooki

recogniser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
The input is a line-level input, not a mike-level input. Microphones output mike-level, which is totally different and won't work. Use a microphone preamplifier or a mixer to bring the microphone to line level.

tooki
Sweet, thanks!

dandbj
Mar 8, 2006, 10:00 PM

While true, I would not go there. Get a USB mic. Avoid complexity. The MicFlex is a very good GarageBand mic. If you are going to do podcasts, go with the Logitech USB Premium Headset 350. Both are about $50. I do an instructional podcast called Podcasting U to teach people how to produce and publish their own podcast. My background is in audio production. Trust me, if you are using GB, USB is the way to go. Keep it simple and inexpensive. You can find my podcast by looking up "Podcasting U" on the iTMS

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by dandbj
Get a USB mic. Avoid complexity.
Seconded. Unless you have a professional recording mic, as I think you're more into music than broadcast? You could alternatively get an external USB or FireWire sound card, which would have the appropriate input.

Also, does your keyboard have MIDI port? You could then record the actual notes played instead of their analog representation (soundwaves) .

Forum Links
Forum Rules