Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Ripping DVDs the 2007 way?

Ripping DVDs the 2007 way?
neon_duke
Jan 14, 2007, 10:12 PM

Hi. Apologies for a stupid topic, but the only search results I got were from 2004, and then the Search function quit returning anything at all, even if I could see a thread with the keyword I was trying right on the first page of the index...

My daughter has a new 80gig iPod video. We're running iTunes 7.0.2 on her robot iMac under system 10.4.8. All I want to do is import a DVD movie we actually own so I can put it on her iPod to watch. SHOULDN'T BE ****ING ROCKET SCIENCE, now should it?

All, and I do mean ALL of the instructions I can find assume that the video is already in your iTunes Library (as if I was too stupid to figure out how to sync it) but NOTHING tells me how to get the movie from the DVD into iTunes in the first place. It won't auto-import; when I try to manually import I point it to the VIDEO_TS folder, but nothing happens.

Can someone please take pity on an out-of-date Mac head who is starting to feel like he's using Windoze? All I need is some pointers or a link on how to do this simple task. Thanks!
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2007, 10:47 PM

neon_duke  (op)
Jan 15, 2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Sounds pretty much exactly like what I was looking for. Thanks for the link!

It seems like it was in beta back in April of last year and the site hasn't been updated. Is this version solid?

Thanks again for the info.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 10:33 PM

hi neon,duke,
here is a simple guide on how to use handbrake:
HOWTO Rip DVD Movies To Your iPod Using Free Software

Alex

neon_duke  (op)
Jan 16, 2007, 10:01 AM

Cheers for that! I appreciate the spoon feeding from you gentlemen. Stupid me for thinking that the Apple software would deal with it directly, but I suppose the reasons for that are political/legal more than anything.

Thanks again for helping me out.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 10:32 PM

Legal.

Ripping a DVD involves breaking its copy protection, which is technically illegal in most countries Apple computers are sold.

Forum Links
Forum Rules