Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread

Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread (Page 4)
Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7 View Post
After the update last night, my Boot Camp partition has started showing up on my desktop, even though I set Finder's preference to not show drives on the desktop.

Prior to the update, it didn't do that. I've tried checking and unchecking the option, and rebooting, but it's still there.

Edit: Wait a sec, my Boot Camp partition is now considered a CD/DVD/iPod. When I uncheck and recheck that option, it disappears and reappears.
For me, all my FireWire HD's and USB HD's have always shown up as "iPod's" to OS X. I don't know why. It's stupid. But it's no big deal to me because I keep all my mounted media on the desktop no matter what.

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2007, 08:05 AM

AOL won't allow me to send, open mail....or both.

Black_Rain
Oct 31, 2007, 01:16 PM

Well i posted a bug of mine saying that my menu bar was not transparent after leopard...

well... i just noticed that since i switched to a black background...the menu bar seems to be solid... when i switch to any other background with color or detail in it, the menu bar is transparent...

just some FYI

Also...last night my MBP froze when I was using iChat... had to hold the power button to restart it...

hopefully it is not a habitual occurance
Please visit StopMyVirus.com!!

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Rain View Post
well... i just noticed that since i switched to a black background...the menu bar seems to be solid... when i switch to any other background with color or detail in it, the menu bar is transparent...
The Menu Bar still transparent, but there's just not much to see when having a sold background color behind it.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 01:33 PM

anyone having problems with a screensaver causing their entire system to freeze on a G5 dual 2.5?

I've got a friend who's getting it every time they try to change their screen saver.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Black_Rain
Oct 31, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
The Menu Bar still transparent, but there's just not much to see when having a sold background color behind it.
yeah i'm aware... but i automatically thought my menu-bar was solid after reading that a bunch of other people had the "solid" menu-bar...

i know it was a dumb mistake
Please visit StopMyVirus.com!!

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Rain View Post
yeah i'm aware... but i automatically thought my menu-bar was solid after reading that a bunch of other people had the "solid" menu-bar...

i know it was a dumb mistake
Nah that stuff is related to having an older Mac. Although it does happens a bit random.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2007, 06:33 PM

Boot Camp will allow a user to partition it's drive without asking for Authentication. Brilliant...

patricr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 06:48 PM

I have set CNN as my RSS screen saver today. It works as in Tiger, but it starts by stating the date is
December 31, 2000! Is this a bug or have I done something wrong?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 10:44 PM

Another sleep issue here. When I wake my MacPro the fans will run at full blast for about 15 seconds before anything comes up on the screen. The good thing is it will wake up and everything goes back to normal.

mkerr64
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 10:57 PM

at times there are random horizontal lines across my entire screen especially in safari
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 10:59 PM

LOOONG sig, man...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
at times there are random horizontal lines across my entire screen especially in safari
I'm sorry, could you repeat that? I couldn't hear it all over the sound of your signature.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2007, 12:03 AM

I'm pretty sure that thing breaks forum rules.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 12:17 AM

It practically needs to be seeded as a torrent.

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2007, 01:19 AM

I found a bug (don't know if this has been reported here).

I had a finder window (the download folder) open in icon view and had about 25 zipped and/or disk images of icons in it. The finder window of the download folder was open such that it didn't show the top two rows of the downloaded files. I started opening these files from the bottom of the finder window one by one looking for specific icons. Once I checked all of the icons in an expanded folder or opened disk image, I deleted the expanded folder (or ejecting the opened disk image). During this process, not once did I close the finder window with the downloaded icon files or resize it or change the view. When I got through checking the bottom 3 rows of these files, there was only one row of 3 items showing in the download folder finder window but it said there were 8 items in it. In addition, there was no up or down scroll bar. I think when I started resizing the window, the other items popped up.

- Mark

anyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 04:28 AM

i found really weird about safari 3...i am using leopard,mbp 2.2 santa rosa...the disk utility found incorrect code...but after it fixed the incorrect code my favourite website (Friendster - Home) cant enter the new comment, new friend request....it works before repair disk permission... is leopard or the dsik utility doesn't compatible with osx software?? it is fine with netscape and firefox though...weird...

affected browser safari 3 beta...and safari 3 final leopard release...

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by hmeerlo View Post
Well, I have to say I am far from happy with 10.5. Besides not being able to backup to a network drive (which seems pretty normal to me in a business situation), now my dock background disappears from time to time and will not come back (only restart makes it appear again). And now my downloads stack in the dock behaves like a ghost. You can see that there are items in it, only the text is not there, and the icon als not. Anyone seen this as well? I did an upgrade from tiger.

I got this the other day as well, on a AL iMac 2.4 w/2GB of RAM, also upgraded from Tiger. Once I've gotten an external disk to backup using Time Machine I think I'll do an erase and install.

kenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenw View Post
In the past 24 hours I've made three attempts to install Leopard, but now I'm back in Tiger. For background, I'm using a dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac with 4 GB ram. Not the latest Mac, but it should be supported. Over the years, I have installed every Mac OS since the Mac Plus, so this is not the first time I've done this.

My Mac has two internal drives - one for Tiger and one for Leopard. First I cloned the Tiger disk onto the Leopard disk. Then I did a simple upgrade to put Leopard on the Leopard disk. This worked fine, and soon I was using Leopard. But I found out that I couldn't see any of the networked Macs or PCs in my house. After awhile, I realized that the sidebar on my windows was missing the Shared section. It wasn't simply empty - there was no Shared label. Using Connect to Server also showed nothing. After searching the web, I found that others are having the same problem (see MacRumors).

So I installed Leopard a second time, this time using Archive and Install. Same results.

Then I installed Leopard a third time, now using Erase and Install. The Setup Assistant offered to transfer my files from the Tiger disk, to which I agreed. Then the Assistant told me that my User files contained 0.0 KB and it could not transfer them. This was rather alarming, but proved to be false. So I created a new account on the Leopard disk. After starting up in Leopard, I opened a new window and there in the sidebar was a Shared section, right where it should be, and it showed my networked Mac laptop. I clicked on the laptop to see what was in it, and the entire Shared section of the sidebar vanished. Right in front of my eyes. So I'm right back where I was.

Given my problems with Leopard, I've decided to stay with Tiger until 10.5.1 comes out. But if anyone has solved a similar problem, I would like to hear how they did it.
PROBLEM SOLVED! My network was using a one-month old Linksys router. Today I replaced it with a new Airport Extreme, and the Leopard network now works fine. All the networked computers show up in the Shared section of the sidebar. Since the Linksys router is not supported on the Mac, I won't even try to find out why it worked with Tiger but not Leopard.

Now if I could only get rid of those Stacks.
al_iMac 24"; al_MacBook 13"; MacPro

digitalvomiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 05:25 AM

Hi, a strange one here folks..

Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz I/Duo 2GB SDRAM

I did an upgrade to Leopard and everything went quite OK, except this tiny tiny detail, my mouse is getting stuck on screen, especially if I switch between applications of use scroll or clicking a bit faster.
After putting the laptop to sleep, when I got home, everything worked properly, mouse, trackpad, everything. And today morning - same story again, looks to me like a USB subsystem bug, I've changed at least ten kinds and models of mouses so peripherals are ruled out as cause of bugs.

Thanks for any answer, this thing is driving me crazy.

UPDATE:

Apparently Airport is guilty one for this annoyance, it turns out if there is no network to connect, discovery will cause these interupts every 10 or 20 seconds ..

Code:
Nov 2 11:08:05 Macintosh mDNSResponder[30]: getifaddrs ifa_netmask for fw0(5) Flags 8863 Family 2 169.254.151.214 has different family: 0 Nov 2 11:08:05 Macintosh mDNSResponder[30]: SetupAddr invalid sa_family 0 Nov 2 11:08:07 Macintosh airportd[60588]: Could not find any preferred networks; trying broadcast requests.. Nov 2 11:08:11 Macintosh airportd[60588]: Broadcast requests failed.. Nov 2 11:08:12 Macintosh mDNSResponder[30]: getifaddrs ifa_netmask for fw0(5) Flags 8863 Family 2 169.254.151.214 has different family: 0
( Last edited by digitalvomiting; Nov 2, 2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Found reason for a bug ...)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2007, 09:07 AM

I have iChat in a seperate space, whenever I get a new message the bubble appears - it switches to that space. Exceptionally annoying!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Kate
Senior User
Nov 2, 2007, 10:06 AM

can anyone confirm that the unnix command "locate" is broken?

If you enter e.g. "locate finder" in terminal it barks that locate.database is missing! I copied that from my backup, but now locate causes a kernel error after running! Is it just me?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 11:53 AM

Have your periodic scripts had a chance to run since you installed Leopard? IIRC weekly first has to create the locate database before you can use it. Or you can try (don't now if this works in Leopard though)

[codex]sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb[/codex]

sedlacek
Nov 2, 2007, 01:08 PM

Not sure if this is an 10.5 issue or X11 or OpenOffice issue.

Just got 10.5 yesterday (talk about hours turning into days and days into weeks) and upon installation (archive and install) I was going through the various apps I use when I noticed a couple of things with respect to using OpenOffice.

Launching OO starts X11 and opens up a -xterm window but then hangs with the ole black-n-white beachball spinning for about minute. After that minute or so I get a "Command Timed out" window to which I click 'ok'. Upon hitting okay, OO proceeds to open. Operationally OO seems okay with the upgrade. However if I try to assign OO to a specific 'Space', and then try toggling to OO via 'command-tab', I go nowhere. Same result if I select X11. The only way is to select the specific space.

Not a huge deal, but I thought I'd cite it for reference, FWIW.
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

Kate
Senior User
Nov 2, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Have your periodic scripts had a chance to run since you installed Leopard? IIRC weekly first has to create the locate database before you can use it. Or you can try (don't now if this works in Leopard though)

[codex]sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb[/codex]
The scripts had a chance. ! 10.5 had been running without a pause since 8 days here.

I checked and the fact is, that the installer deletes any previous locate-database file!

You have to recreate this and there will come up a warning that this is unsecure, as this will reveal all filenames to any login user. Never seen something alike. Especially that the old db is erased.

I have not yet checked if the regular refresh of the db takes place at all, for me at least this was not the case and I didn't find any hint in the logs.

My cron shows no locate related process ...

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I have iChat in a seperate space, whenever I get a new message the bubble appears - it switches to that space. Exceptionally annoying!
Yeah I noticed that as well. Definitely annoying.

atc ben
Nov 2, 2007, 04:21 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned or even if it's an actual bug with 10.5, but it DID work before I upgraded.

I have a folder with some desktop wallpapers that used to show up as a source on the left this window on 10.4:

Now, for some reason I have two "Aperture Projects" as sources. I'm unable to remove either of them with the minus sign at the bottom. Also, when I click the little triangle on the bottom Aperture Projects, nothing happens, but when I click the triangle for the top Aperture Projects, the bottom one opens and the top one does nothing like this:

In addition, when I try to add my old Desktop Wallpapers folder to the source list by clicking the plus sign, I get this:

The folder I want to add is NOT already in the source list. I can't remove any sources either. Anyone else able to add a folder to their source list for desktop wallpapers?
( Last edited by atc ben; Nov 2, 2007 at 04:57 PM. )
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

SleePyCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 07:41 PM

Well, I was happy that I finally got 10.5..
Now I am a bit angered. The Upgrade Mac option actually did archive and install.. How stupid of Apple. I expected to lose some hacks I did to the system but not a whole folder. I had a folder in my hard drive on root called home. It was emulating basically my live website on my mac. So thanks to Apple. I will spend another 5-6 hours setting this all back up the way I had it with all the software I had and the test domains I had pointing to my computer.
Makes me wish I had Time Machine before I did the upgrade so I could undo this.

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 09:15 PM

That would have happened with an upgrade... Archive and Upgrade are the exact same, except Archive saves the contents o your old folders. So upgrade is actually better.

atc ben
Nov 2, 2007, 11:08 PM

I just noticed something else...

Whenever Software Update runs, it tells me I need to upgrade to Compressor 1.2.1. I've done this upgrade numerous times. Not intentionally, but it's there every time I've installed other updates. What gives?
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 11:16 PM

My Dashboard no longer works. Hotkey just beeps, can't run DB from Applications manually either.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 11:25 PM

My Dashboard no longer works.

Edit: I reenabled Dashboard via Terminal (commands below) and it works. Funny that a restart didn't fix the problem but it's fixed...
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO
killall Dock

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 02:51 PM

I don't know if this is a bug or not... but every time I have installed Leopard, my user, the only one on my computer, gets their status changed from Admin to Standard. And since my login screen only lists the users on my computer (me), I can't login as root to change my user status, or my login options. I discoverd that the way you get into the root account is to startup with the DVD and go to the Change Password app and enter a new password for the admin. Then when you restart you have an "other" option where you can log in as root and get your permissions back. What fun

Kate
Senior User
Nov 3, 2007, 04:10 PM

That is an already officially confirmed bug by Apple. The workaround is described in an support doc. ;-)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
I don't know if this is a bug or not... but every time I have installed Leopard, my user, the only one on my computer, gets their status changed from Admin to Standard. And since my login screen only lists the users on my computer (me), I can't login as root to change my user status, or my login options. I discoverd that the way you get into the root account is to startup with the DVD and go to the Change Password app and enter a new password for the admin. Then when you restart you have an "other" option where you can log in as root and get your permissions back. What fun
happened to my friend as well; we logged in as admin, and changed her account from there to an admin account... nuisance tho...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

dankar
Nov 3, 2007, 05:23 PM

Only bearbugs are networking from mac to mac (shared missing in side window), my other macs with Tiger OS can access my Leopard Macpro but not the other way around.

Also dictionary in dashboard, not working. After keying in the word to check and clicking on the search icon.... Nothing. Have to wait for awhile before the search begin.

Makes me wonder, how did that guy got his Leopard to work in the Guided Tour Video?

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 07:45 PM

1. Disk Images don't eject when dropped onto the trash can, when right-click->eject is selected, or when eject icon is selected from sidebar of Finder. Need to go to Disk Utility to eject disk (not all the time, but usually).

2. I get the new mail sound in Mail.app when new posts are made to an RSS feed which is annoying.

3. I can't switch Spaces when the one I want to switch from is running VMWare Fusion in full screen mode (more of a VMWare Fusion bug I suppose).

SiriusPhil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 10:41 PM

In Paental Controls, Simple Finder fails to display an application if it resides in a folder within Applications. It seems to have to be on the root of Applications. I blogged about my experience at our User group Site:

Leopard Parental Controls & Simple Finder Bug | Sirius Macintosh User Group

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2007, 02:24 AM

OpenType fonts installed and activated in FontBook do not show up in applications anywhere: not in Adobe CS3 or M$ Office 08 carbon apps, nor in iWork 08, Omni or other Cocoa apps.

There are two Univers in the "Sanserif" collection in FontBook: one is OpenType, the other is traditional Postscript. Only the Postscript version shows up anywhere else besides inside FontBook itself. No other activated OpenType font can be used in any application.

(If this bug happens to be just with my Leopard install: how would I best proceed to rebuild FontBooks database?)
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
1) Folders don't remember their view settings. Example: say I have a folder /Pictures/Vacations/2005/Florida full of images. If I open /Pictures/Vacations/2005/ it's in list view, then go to /Florida and change it to thumbnails. Now if I go back everything will also be large icons /Pictures/Vacations/2005/ and /Pictures/Vacations/. This is very annoying to me. Under 10.4 if I go back to the previous folder it would still be in list view.
So it's not just me. Those bugs are driving me nuts. Cover Flow window size seems very random (and not remembered).

Is there a way to make a window remember that it should hide the Toolbar?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
1) Low-res, pixellated previews in Cover Flow. Is there any way to rebuild the preview icons so they're clear?
Download CocoThumbX.
Check the "Remove Thumbnail" option.
Drag a folder on it and watch it go.
The next time cover flow sees the pictures it will recreate high quality previews.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
So it's not just me. Those bugs are driving me nuts. Cover Flow window size seems very random (and not remembered).

Is there a way to make a window remember that it should hide the Toolbar?
Yes, open then window you want to change and select View-->Show View Options to bring up the window below. Click on the "Always open in xxx view" checkbox and that one window view is saved. I wish it would nest subfolders as that view but it doesn't.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Yes, open then window you want to change and select View-->Show View Options to bring up the window below. Click on the "Always open in xxx view" checkbox and that one window view is saved. I wish it would nest subfolders as that view but it doesn't.
Doesn't work with the Tool Bar...

Check out Automator, you can set up an action to assign a view and apply it to enclosed folders. I used it to set all my folders full of icons to icon view, max size, arranged by name, including enclosed folders; worked like a charm. However, automator didn't include an option for Grid Spacing...

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 05:32 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...ug-in-leopard/

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
I wrote a fairly detailed article about it on my site (here: tomkarpik.com � Massive Data Loss Bug in Leopard), but the gist of it is basically ...

1. Initiate move operation across volumes
2. Destroy the destination while the move is in operation (ie. disconnect the SMB mount, unplug the USB device, etc.)
3. Finder *deletes* the source anyway, even though the move was not successfully completed
we don't have time to stop for gas

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 6, 2007, 05:10 PM

The last developer build 9A559 had tons of bugs in it. I knew 10.5 was going to ship with a crapload of bugs. But public pressure pushed Apple to ship Leopard even though it wasn't ready to be shipped. I don't think the people that wanted to see Leopard ship in October have valid rights to complain. Those that implored Apple to ship late do have a right...but not a whole lot of people fall in this category.

If you fall into the first category, go sit in a corner and suck on your pacifier. If you fall into the second category, by all means complain.

Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 6, 2007, 05:47 PM

I don't know whether any of these are Leopard bugs, but they all started after a clean install of Leopard:

1. The cursor freezes for up to 5-10 seconds (trackpad unresponsive) after waking from sleep.

2. New mail sound only works intermittently (about 70% of the time).

3. Occasionally, the "New Message" button in mail is completely unresponsive. The only fix is shutting down and re-opening mail. When mail re-opens, the new message email box is there.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 7, 2007, 06:32 AM

BTW for some reason my "dock settings" keep changing on themselves. The animation keeps reverting to a much more exaggerated version than I set it. This happens daily.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2007, 08:35 AM

The biggest "bug" I am having is slowdowns whenever I am burning or converting a movie (converting say a DVD to H.264 for my Apple TV) when using visualhub I can barely browse the web. With Tiger it would multitask fine and I couldn't even notice a slowdown. Now it doesn't seem to be playing nice. I burn a lot of DVDs and this is becoming a real problem for me. The WORST is when I am compressing a DVD in popcorn.

This machine is a Dual 2.5 G5 w/3.5GB Ram Radeon 9800 XT card and Maxline III Boot Drive

Anyone else noticing this?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
Exactly. Some people need to stop acting like Apple is a personal friend who just screwed them over.
Possibly the best post on MacNN, ever.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 7, 2007, 08:58 PM

I don't think this is a bug so much as just a sucky copy feature Apple has added. When you go to copy a file name it deselects the extension. To copy the extension too you have to go back and highlight it.

For example say there is an image called "inspect.png" on my desktop and I wanted to copy that name and paste it into a URL or whatever. Back in Tiger when you went to select it, it would automatically select all of the text. In Leopard it JUST selects the text before the .png. To get the entire file name you have to re-hilight the name.

This is annoying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules