Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 450 MP-replacing DVD-RAM with CDRW?

G4 450 MP-replacing DVD-RAM with CDRW?
coitus
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2000, 05:53 PM

I recently purchased the new G4 450 MP with a DVD-RAM drive. I've been looking into getting a CDRW drive but the firewire options out there are WAY to costly for my taste, especially when if they are like most hard drives they aren't native firewire drives and I wouldn't come near the theoretical throughput.

I'm not interested in writing at 2x on a USB drive either.

What I was wondering, can I replace the DVD-RAM drive I have installed at present with an IDE CDRW? It seems as if it would work to me but I don't know of many (any) brands that have a IDE model.

Could someone tell me if my hunch is true and/or direct me to some interal IDE CDRW drives?

Many thanks,

Coitus

in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2000, 01:47 AM

There are a lot of ide cdrw as far as I know and i have been told before in this forum that you can replace the dvd with a cdrw drive. you could also get a dvdrom-cdrw drive. you can also give me the dvd -ram drive if you take it out.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2000, 03:59 AM

Most ATA-compliant devices will work on the Mac, providing there are current drivers to support them...

Before purchasing a CD-RW drive, I recommend you visit Adaptec's CD-R/CD-RW compatibility site and XLR8's IDE compatibility list. They list all the currently tested CD-R/CD-RW units which may or may not work flawlessly on the Mac.

Of course, if you buy from a Mac-vendor, then its probably guaranteed to work. :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules