Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > what are some good scratch protectors for the 3g?!?

what are some good scratch protectors for the 3g?!?
macman1244
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 05:34 PM

I have heard of a few, ive been doing a little research and i found that Phantomskinz is liked alot, so is Invisable sheild. But from what i have been hearing is that Phantomskinz is more clear than the Invisable sheild. Is this true? i have only seen Phantomskinz not IS so i dont know for sure. Phantomskinz looks really good. Im thinking about getting it.. any suggustons??

thanks...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 06:53 PM

I loved the invisible shield on the 5G iPod video - before it, um, got disappeared.

As soon as an invisible shield comes out for iPhone 3G, I'll be getting it.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2008, 06:56 PM

yo i like boxwave's ClearTouch anti-glare
Cleartouch

not übertransparent but the best part is it's smoooooth and silky to the touch and leaves no prints.
Also better in sunlight.

They also have a crystal version which is more clearererer but not as smoooooooth.

mrjayd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 07:51 PM

The screen is indestructible. I have the original iPhone since its release and never had a case for it. It goes in and out of my jeans pocket or backpack many, many, many times a day.......everyday. And there is not a scratch or scuff, or nick anywhere.

macrocks
Jul 15, 2008, 08:19 PM

the invisible shield is the best thing you can get.trust me i am getting one for my iphone 3g to.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrjayd View Post
The screen is indestructible. I have the original iPhone since its release and never had a case for it. It goes in and out of my jeans pocket or backpack many, many, many times a day.......everyday. And there is not a scratch or scuff, or nick anywhere.
My iPhone with the invisible shield tends to attract fewer fingerprints, which is reason enough for me to use one.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 09:50 PM

I like bodyguardz (bodyguardz.com) films for the iPhone. It's a bit thinner than invisible shield and doesn't have the "orange peel" look. It's more than enough protection for about half the price.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 09:35 AM

I thirded the invisible shield - It is incredible stuff. It does need to be applied properly and carefully.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

boobavon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 02:45 AM

Has anyone experienced a harder time using the touch features of the iphone when using these clear protectors? I'd like to get one as well but am concerned about reduced sensitivity.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 04:12 AM

some of the hard plastic cases appear to cause problems due to the increased distance between the finger and the screen.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by boobavon View Post
Has anyone experienced a harder time using the touch features of the iphone when using these clear protectors? I'd like to get one as well but am concerned about reduced sensitivity.
I've not any input problems and I've had an anti-glare screen on both my old first-gen model and the 3G. Only possible pause is that with a glare screen, some games that use the accelometer get a bit harder to see when you turn the phone.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2008, 10:33 AM

The SO has one of the simple static stick-on protectors for her 1st-gen.

It gets grody, but doesn't interfere with use, you can clean it with a hit of Windex, and (big bonus) you can put it on in 15 seconds flat.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2008, 10:37 AM

Definitely get the Invisible Shield. I just got one for my iPhone, and it's pretty amazing. Not too difficult to install, and the instant peace-of-mind that comes with it makes it worth every penny.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by boobavon View Post
Not a single issue using my invisible shield.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 11:57 AM

I got the bestskinsever plastic adhesive cover.

I was considering just getting the screen cover (with the included separate button cover), but ended getting the cover for the whole thing. The complete set includes the screen and button covers and two more pieces, each for half of the back/sides of the iPhone. (There is one piece for the top half and one piece for the bottom half.)

In retrospect I like the back cover more than I like the screen cover. The screen cover works well enough, but it's a little too grippy for my tastes. When I slide my finger it's not as smooth. The extra grippiness works well for the back though, cuz I find the back of the iPhone a bit slippery otherwise. (The screen cover doesn't affect keypresses. The iPhone still senses everything just fine.) Does the Invisible Shield also increase grippiness? If so, I wouldn't like that one either. The bestskinsever also has that orange peel look someone mentioned, which again isn't ideal for the screen.

So, I will keep my back cover, and get a new screen protector that is perfectly smooth.

A friend of mine has a clear hard plastic cover for the back but I don't really like that. It really adds to the bulk of the phone.

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2008, 12:22 PM

Using a 1st gen Macally iPhone protector on a 3G, but it is a bit too small. The invisible shield has lots of positive feedback, so that seems to be the consensus.
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 05:57 AM

I just got my Invisible Shield for the 3G a couple of days ago. Have yet to put it on because of the effort associated with it + 12-24 hour "cooling down period".

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

nikstar101
Jul 23, 2008, 01:12 PM

I agree that the invisible shield is the way to go. The one on my iPhone is great not a mark on it.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2008, 04:30 PM

I was happy with the protection the Invisible Shield offered, but less than thrilled with its appearance at first. However, after a few days, it looks much better. It's definitely much more "invisible" now, aside from the texture, which is only noticeable from certain angles. Definitely worth it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I got the bestskinsever plastic adhesive cover.

I was considering just getting the screen cover (with the included separate button cover), but ended getting the cover for the whole thing. The complete set includes the screen and button covers and two more pieces, each for half of the back/sides of the iPhone. (There is one piece for the top half and one piece for the bottom half.)

In retrospect I like the back cover more than I like the screen cover. The screen cover works well enough, but it's a little too grippy for my tastes. When I slide my finger it's not as smooth. The extra grippiness works well for the back though, cuz I find the back of the iPhone a bit slippery otherwise. (The screen cover doesn't affect keypresses. The iPhone still senses everything just fine.) Does the Invisible Shield also increase grippiness? If so, I wouldn't like that one either. The bestskinsever also has that orange peel look someone mentioned, which again isn't ideal for the screen.

So, I will keep my back cover, and get a new screen protector that is perfectly smooth.

chichow
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2008, 04:58 PM

I've used invisible shield from my first gen ipod nano.

totally worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules