Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > QuickCam for PowerBook 1400

QuickCam for PowerBook 1400
brightpath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2000, 02:48 PM

Does anyone know where you can buy a quick cam that will work on the older Powerbook 1400 series? All are USB now and they won't work on the 1400.

Many thanks,
Don

josntme
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2000, 05:17 PM

I have a greyscale that I might sell. email me if interested.
[email protected]

------------------
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

tim michael (finboy)
Aug 8, 2000, 10:39 PM

The old grayscale QuickCams work great with the 1400, but I never could get mine to work after I upgraded the processor.

In fact, I had two 1400s and four QCs, and no combination would work after I upgraded the processors to G3.

Erik1968NYC
Sep 7, 2000, 11:11 AM

I wonder if anyone else has encountered my problem and if they know of any solution besides forgetting about using QuickCam and buying some other product.

I have an original QuickCam greyscale (serial). I've used it on serial capable desktop Macs including a Powerbase, and it works fine with the QuickCam v2.1.2 software and other Webcam software such as Oculus. It works fine on the desktop units even running MacOS 9.0.4. My problem is that I try to run it on a Powerbook 1400c (with NewrG3 upgrade), MacOS 9.0.4. The QuickCam run fine for about 10 minutes and then for no apparent reason, the image starts to break up and produces all sorts of noise and artifacts. It looks very artisitic, but for my needs, I need a clean image. I have even tried using the Nine11 extension, but again the same image break up appears shortly after starting ANY application that uses the QuickCam as an input. HELP! I have tried minimal extension sets, uninstalls and reinstalls, pref trashing, the works, even installing v2.1.3 but the same thing happens. At first I thought the QuickCam was damaged, but like I said, it works fine on a serial capable desktop Mac, even running OS 9.0.4. Any clues would be so appreciated. Thanx

allensis
Sep 25, 2000, 12:55 PM

Well no new clues really but here goes...

I owned (sold since) a powerbook 1400c with a Vpower 233 G3 upgrade in it and was able to run a Quickcam GS on it just fine. The only tip I can offer is to install the several extra codec's. I recall my system had several installed by the previous owner.

Good luck.

Tim Michael (finboy)
Sep 27, 2000, 10:17 PM

I seem to remember the same problem, where it would work for a few minutes and then that was it.

My upgrades were NewerTech, and they were great.

The serial quickcam is a great idea in a little package. If you're interested (anybody), Sky and Telescope did an article a few years ago (since 97) about how to use one for astronomical observing. Evidently, the chip inside is the same as in most low-end CCD cameras. Hence, I have 4, and one day it will be a COOL Sunday project.

brightpath  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2000, 01:06 PM

Where can you still buy a serial QuickCam? Thanks

Tim Michael (finboy)
Sep 30, 2000, 03:56 PM

I got mine on ebay, and there are few people out there who have refurbished models and a few new ones now and then. I haven't bought since last year, but there were many available then. I imagine that more will become available as folks upgrade their machines and get USB.

I don't know yet whether they'll work with a USB to Serial adapter, by the way. I just haven't gotten around to testing it.

allensis
Oct 3, 2000, 07:19 PM

I now recall that I had the sorenson codec installed on my 1400.

I have an old G/S serial quickcam, what would anyone trade or give for it?

Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules