Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.0.4 causing mouse troubles?

10.0.4 causing mouse troubles?
coitus
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2001, 12:10 AM

Okay, I wanted to post this here first as it will tell me whether or not any of you have experienced any mouse oddities since updating. I'm running OS X (10.0.4) on a G4 450 DP with 384M RAM. Since updating, I've been having the damndest time when it comes to clicking. It doesn't matter whether it is a window, a file, a folder, a pull-down menu. Sometimes I'll have to click 2 or 3 times before it will work (i.e., hitting the "back" button in OmniWeb). Also, in mail when deleting a message I have to multi-click which will cause it sometimes to apparently lag or stall and then it will delete two or three messages. Other times you can click 5 or 6 times and it won't even delete one message.

Now, the only other news I've left out of my situation is that I'm using the Kensington Optical Pro mouse (v1.0 for OS X). So, maybe one of the regulators will be moving my query over to third-party before too long.

coitus

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2001, 12:16 AM

Personally I'd suspect that MouseWorks is to blame. It's always caused a lot of problems for me especially the OS X versions. You might want to try temporarily disabling it and see if that fixes the problems.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by coitus:
It doesn't matter whether it is a window, a file, a folder, a pull-down menu. Sometimes I'll have to click 2 or 3 times before it will work (i.e., hitting the "back" button in OmniWeb).
First of all, you may just need to get acquainted with the way OS X works. Menus and popup menus may not appear the instant you click them because Quartz has to draw the transparency. I used to find myself in your position: I'd click the MacNN forum menu at the bottom of the page three or four times waiting for it to pop up. Just try clicking once and wait; you may be pleasantly surprised. Of course, we shouldn't HAVE to wait-- but that's a problem with the Quartz layering model.

Also, note that certain programs may or may not recognize background clicks. TextEdit, for example, lets you drag windows, scroll, select text, and other things when it's in the background if you simply hold the command key. Finder, on the other hand, will not (how odd!). For example, if you have a file in an open window in Finder, but TextEdit is open in the foreground, it'll take a triple-click to open a file. One to bring the Finder to the front, one to select the file, and one to open it. Another oddity about Finder is that this rule is different for the desktop. In the same scenario, it takes a normal double-click to open a file from the desktop. Finder selects the file with the first and opens with the second. Much of this general weirdness in the Finder is due to how it is written in Carbon rather than Cocoa (but that's a whole other argument!).

As for the trouble in OmniWeb, if you're sure you've made a complete click on the button, just have patience as I said before with the menus. OmniWeb seems to be pretty slow at retreiving its cache and sometimes doesn't cache at all (like on these boards). If you're still having problems, contact Ken at the OmniGroup. He's always helpful and prompt to respond to problems.
Also, in mail when deleting a message I have to multi-click which will cause it sometimes to apparently lag or stall and then it will delete two or three messages. Other times you can click 5 or 6 times and it won't even delete one message.
Actually, this appears to be a Mail.app problem. I can sometimes click that damned delete button a hundred times and it'll never delete an e-mail. In the mean time, submit another report to Apple about it, noting exactly what you tried and specifically what the results were.

Having said all this, who knows? Maybe you've just got a bad driver?

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2001, 12:36 AM

Okay, just for the record...this has only been happening since downloading 10.0.4. I never had any problems such as this with 10.0 through 10.0.3. I could go on and on about it including menus, opening a folder, etc.

If I am the only one having the symptoms then I'll expect it the mouse driver from Kensington and will get rid of it or reinstall it to see what is up. I've only used 10.0.4 for a day or two and noticed this happening. I wanted to quiz some others before taking drastic measures on my end.

coitus

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2001, 01:40 PM

Just to round out this post I thought I would add that I booted back into 9.1 and discovered the same problems existed there. I've sent an email off to Kensington and expect to have my mouse replace due to hardware failure within a week or so (I hope).

coitus

Forum Links
Forum Rules