Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Services menu in Carbon apps

Services menu in Carbon apps
lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2002, 02:10 AM

Ok, I know this is a who cares type question, but why do developrs put the Services menu in their App menu when Carbon apps can't access it?

I mean, iPhoto doesn't have the menu and it's a Cocoa app!

Are they planning ahead, lazy, stupid?

BTP
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2002, 02:51 AM

I don't know if the service menu is there in the API as a default (or the like)or not, but regardless, Jaguar brings services to Carbon and Cocoa apps alike. So those developers that have not ported their apps to Cocoa now don't have to, at least not to have the services available in their Carbon apps.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

deharlow
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2002, 03:11 AM

FileMaker 6 supports services under 10.1.5, it is up to the developer to properly program for services to work. All apps get the menu by default though.

Daniel

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2002, 06:43 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by lngtones:

<strong>Ok, I know this is a who cares type question, but why do developrs put the Services menu in their App menu when Carbon apps can't access it?

I mean, iPhoto doesn't have the menu and it's a Cocoa app!

Are they planning ahead, lazy, stupid?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Carbon apps can access Services.

Developers don't put a Services menu in their app menu, the OS does. I don't know how iPhoto removes it (maybe that qualifies me as stupid). It's probably some undocumented way.

Actually I don't understand [i]why[/] iPhoto removes the Services menu. It could be used on the edit texts at least and would be nice for things like PixeNHance.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2002, 08:21 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Developer:
Carbon apps can access Services.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">NO. They can't. At least for now. (even in build 6C87).

cwasko
Senior User
Jul 15, 2002, 08:27 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by pat++:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Developer:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">NO. They can't. At least for now. (even in build 6C87).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Uh, YES they can...

I'm running 10.1.5 and have BBEdit 6.5 and I can access the Services menu just fine in BBEdit.

davidmd
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2002, 09:01 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by cwasko:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by pat++:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Developer:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">NO. They can't. At least for now. (even in build 6C87).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Uh, YES they can...

I'm running 10.1.5 and have BBEdit 6.5 and I can access the Services menu just fine in BBEdit.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think he means it's not universal. It's not available automatically to ALL Carbon apps like is is to ALL Cocoa apps, unless specifically programmed in.

cwasko
Senior User
Jul 15, 2002, 09:14 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by davidmd:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by cwasko:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by pat++:

I'm running 10.1.5 and have BBEdit 6.5 and I can access the Services menu just fine in BBEdit.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think he means it's not universal. It's not available automatically to ALL Carbon apps like is is to ALL Cocoa apps, unless specifically programmed in.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well, that is one of the core differences between Carbon and Cocoa. There are many items that come for 'free' in Cocoa that have to be created in Carbon. But, the point still remains, Carbon apps *can* use services. The developer just has to make it so.

OT a little, but I think BBEdit is the 'model' carbon app. It pretty much displays that Carbon and Cocoa apps can be of the same quality. It has been carbon for over a year now and has always run smoothly and took advantage of what was out at the time. I can't wait to see what the next version is like.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2002, 09:22 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by davidmd:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by cwasko:

I'm running 10.1.5 and have BBEdit 6.5 and I can access the Services menu just fine in BBEdit.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think he means it's not universal. It's not available automatically to ALL Carbon apps like is is to ALL Cocoa apps, unless specifically programmed in.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Unless I'm missing something very blatant, Cocoa apps have to code for Services support too.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2002, 09:36 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chuckit:
<strong>Unless I'm missing something very blatant, Cocoa apps have to code for Services support too.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Don't think so - they get Services automatically AFAIK, but they do need to be coded to offer a Service themselves.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2002, 11:51 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Developer:
<strong>Carbon apps can access Services.

Developers don't put a Services menu in their app menu, the OS does. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">where? and how to delete them?
For some reason, under Finder--&gt;Services I have a Quake3 menu, with options "Connect to server" and "Perform Command". How can I delete them? Or any other services menu, for that matter?

Thank you for any insight,
Peace,

Musti.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2002, 04:11 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Musti:
<strong>Carbon apps can access Services.

Developers don't put a Services menu in their app menu, the OS does. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">where? and how to delete them?
For some reason, under Finder--&gt;Services I have a Quake3 menu, with options "Connect to server" and "Perform Command". How can I delete them? Or any other services menu, for that matter?

Thank you for any insight,
Peace,

Musti.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yes, I need to know this ,will Jag have a gui for doing this?

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2002, 04:41 AM

To remove an app's services, control-click on the apps icon, click "Show Package Contents". Open Contents, then open Info.plist in TextEdit (drag it on its icon in the dock). Press Command-F, type "NSServices" (without the quotes) then click "Next". Change text like this:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> &lt;key&gt;NSServices&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;array&gt;
&lt;/array&gt;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">to:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">&lt;!--
&lt;key&gt;NSServices&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;array&gt;
&lt;/array&gt;
--&gt;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Logout, then log in again, and the service will be gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules