Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Did OS X kill my printer? Is it possible?

Did OS X kill my printer? Is it possible?
davidmd
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2002, 07:56 PM

I know this has to do with a printer and does not completely relate to OS X, but I am wondering if OS X could have killed my printer. I went to print a simple site today on my year-old Epson 777 when it started making grinding and grating noises. It turns out that the printer kept grinding until it was out of alignment, and now the when the heads are at rest, they sit in the middle of the printer track and are not tucked away to the far right! The printer is now useless. Could print center do this? Is it possible that it sent commands to the printer causing the head to move in the wrong direction and hurt the motor? Basically, I want to know if the software controlling the printer has the capability of "hurting" the hardware. Sorry if this comes across as a dumb question...

davidmd

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 08:54 PM

Have you turned off the printer left it of a few mins and turned it back on I *should* reset it self.

We have 2 Epson 740 printer in the family the they are about 3 years old the printer connected to my mum's iMac did this and the imac is running OS 9 sometimes they get there "knicker in a not" the best thing is turn them off and then on. I have found over the years that Epson's do this on PC's and Mac's quite often but there has never been any damage to the printers as turning them off (at the wall) and back on again has always sorted them out, maybe sometimes you have to press the clean head button the printer will hake a lot of noise and then sort it's self out.

Basically NO damage occurs they are designed (or should be) to withstand a hardware foul up although it is not good for then. The bug is in Epson's hardware or software as I have seen it happen to Epson's on every system I have had one connected to at one point or another.

Cheers and good luck

Edd

davidmd  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2002, 10:22 PM

wow. i'm dumb... guess i should have tried that before I presumed it dead! I suppose unplugging it is the important part. Anyway, glad to see that my problem is fixed, thanks!

davidmd

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 01:38 AM

OS X did it in the library with the candlestick......

Glad to see you have resolved everything. I have been very happy with Espon printers and they have worked for me when they weren't supposed to be supported.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Forum Links
Forum Rules