Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Radeon 8500, ACard and MacOS 10.3.1

Radeon 8500, ACard and MacOS 10.3.1
coitus
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 03:16 AM

Okay, since updating (via a complete erase and new install) to OS X 10.3.1 I have started to have a hanging issue.

If I leave my computer alone long enough or put it to sleep it will sometimes (though it can't be consistenly reproduced) not wake up past the spinning rainbow you get before the password box pops up to log back into your system.

I am running the ACard ATA-133 Hardware Raid (model AEC-6880M) and have a Radeon 8500 Mac Edition card. I suspect one of them is the culprit and was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation. If all else fails, I'll just either put my stock card back in and test it or pull the Raid card.

As a secondary question, I visited ATI's site and they don't have any new drivers (just a Montiors Utility update). Do Radeon 8500 users need to install the November update for 10.2.6 drivers for use with OS X 10.3.x or does the native install of OS X provide all that you need even though none of it appears to be ATI specific.

coitus

MickS
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 10:55 AM

ATI has posted new drivers for the Radeon 8500 for Panther (http://www.ati.com/support/products/...erdrivers.html).

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 11:02 AM

I've been to the above link, which clearly states, "Drivers for most ATI MAC products are available in the MAC OS X 10.3 (Panther) distribution. These are the latest ATI drivers available at this time."

It doesn't give any more information than that, however, which leaves me wondering what (if anything) is left to install at the moment. I haven't seen any ATI specific installers available in separate folders on the Panther install CD set.

coitus

tr
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:14 AM

first off, i'd hold out on the ATI November drivers for now. check out www.xlr8yourmac.com, there seemed to be a problem with the drivers deleting the PreferencePanes folder. i've actually been waiting for this driver update(here's the ReadMe): it gives you back a usable AtiTVOut.kext, and brings back Mac2TV options for secondary monitors. now, i just have to wait until some more reports come in to see if the driver installation problem is fixed.

as for the sleep problem, i'm also running a SIIG/Acard hardware RAID PCI card and a Radeon 8500 in my Sawtooth 450. i've had no problems with sleep, or any hanging after sleep, or after long periods of time. then again, i'm not booting from it. is your system on your RAID?

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules