Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Drive Copy Via dd in the Command Line

Drive Copy Via dd in the Command Line
coitus
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 11:59 AM

Okay, I have been experiencing problems with a RAID set up and wanted to do a byte for byte copy of one 160 GB drive to another. After a little research, I settled on using dd from the cli.

I first unmounted the destination volume and was booted to another volume (drive) before issuing the following command.

sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk3 of=/dev/rdisk2s3 ibs=1m

I used the 'r' to treat the drive as a stream of data and increased the ibs to speed the process.

Now, can someone in the know tell me how long such a process should take. The drives in question are 160 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM drives. Rounded up the the nearest hour would be great. Also, will the cli return something stating the process has completed or will the cursor just start blinking again to indicate its done with the command?

Thanks,

coitus

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 03:18 PM

Off the top of my head, depending on how fast your drive is, I'd say about 4-6 hours. I may be totally wrong, but thats just an educated guess.

Thanks,
Oliver

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2004, 08:21 AM

Is there a way to ammend the command so that it prints either hash-marks as its working or returns some type of command when its finished. I basically left it alone for 12-hours and it did complete the copy but there's got to be a better way than guessing.

Thanks,

Curtis

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2004, 11:34 AM

Where do you find where devices are located ? Like "/dev/rdisk3" where do I get that information ?
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Forum Links
Forum Rules