Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app Emergency

Mail.app Emergency
coitus
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 02:44 PM

Well, I managed to do a very dumb thing this morning because Mail.app wasn't working and had switched everything to Read-Only, not allowing me to delete files and it was "unexpectedly quit". I decided that if I trashed the .plist file in the Preferences folder it would make everything all better. Yea, in my haste I neglected to copy (for safe-keeping the file). Upon restart and launching Mail.app it made a new mailbox for my iTools account (mac.com) ignoring my previous setup for the four different email accounts I have. How can I rectify my situation without losing my mail in the folders presently?

I really want to avoid adding all the accounts again via Mail's Preferences but don't know any other way. I've tried to find some Import work-around but have met with no success.

Many thanks,

coitus

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 21, 2002, 08:29 PM

Deleting the plist file will not cause you to lose your mail. The reason your mailboxes are read-only are because either they are locked or there is an issue with permissions. You will have to make yourself the owner of those mailboxes (using the chown command).

coitus  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2002, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
<STRONG>Deleting the plist file will not cause you to lose your mail. The reason your mailboxes are read-only are because either they are locked or there is an issue with permissions. You will have to make yourself the owner of those mailboxes (using the chown command).</STRONG>
No, I'm aware I never lost my mail but I didn't want to do anything further to screw up the situation. I ended up solving my problem by deleting the default Mail.app iTools mac.com account. From there I added all my accounts from scratch via the Mail.app Preferences pane.

While it took a little bit of time all my goodies have been restored and the issue with the permissions has resolved itself as well. I don't think it matters but it should have never been a permission issue as I am the sole user and admin on my box.

Thanks just the same...

coitus

Forum Links
Forum Rules