Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Apple blows Aqua-Soft out of the water

Apple blows Aqua-Soft out of the water (Page 2)
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Feb 27, 2003, 10:00 PM

Aqua rip offs have been around for awhile now. The software used for these hacks is usually shareware, beta/alpha, and even the advanced user can mess up their system replacing system components. The developers aren't specific where to place files and sometimes you have to have 5 to 6 programs before it works in Windows.

Now if you compare these with Mac OS X themes you might burst into laughter. While there are the same risks, mac developers have the advantage because they use the system everyday.

If Apple wants to send a cease and desist they have every right. They created the system. Hoewever, some developers just have too much marketshare to send a cease and desist.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 06:46 PM

I like aqua-soft. I would have applied some of that stuff to the laptops around the house...

possibly putting it on my parents computer as well gradually so i could get them used to a mac interface so that eventually i could get them a mac rather then their PC. I can't outright talk them into using a mac though, not that they detist it, but they want to feel comfortable with their purchase ight off the bat.

Here it comes
"Switching is easy my 102 year old grandpa did it"

Thanks. i'll tell my parents but I don't think they care.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 06:53 PM

Is that quote serious? If so, awesome. The person was almost born in the 1800s!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by schalliol:
Is that quote serious? If so, awesome. The person was almost born in the 1800s!
no but some schmuck always goes and tells me that switching is easy. Not that it isn't...

But it's not for everyone

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 07:17 PM

Heck, they need switcher ads for OS 9 to OS X. I felt like I was king of the world in 9 and could fix any software problem (some hardware too), but X is a whole different "ball game". Basic ease of use for launching apps, etc. is one thing. It's another to troubleshoot.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2003, 09:26 PM

The problem I had whith all the Aquastuff when instaled over Windows, was that although the GUI looked almost the same, it still worked like Windows (e.g. all the 'Dock's' you can get for XP work in radically different ways to the OSX Dock (i.e. no drag and drop, open apps dont appear in them, to add an icon requires you to put a png image in an obscure folder), but they look almost exactly the same.
This all leads to confusion, I found myself trying to do things the 'Mac' way, on the XP computer. I fund it much more 'intuitive' to have a distinct difference between the two. So I am in 'Mac mode' on my mac at home and 'XP mode' on the PC at work.

Anybody who felt they had anything close to 'the feel' of a Mac using that stuff, was just kiding themselves.

You can get really convincing Ferrari shells for Corvettes, but your only ever going to have Corvette with a lookalike shell, you can never turn it into a Ferrari on the cheap.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Feb 28, 2003 at 09:32 PM. )

Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 12:24 PM

I'd just like to note (disregarding that Microsoft bought Connectix) that VirtualPC to Microsoft is just another PC. Microsoft does not make PCs. They don't care. They just want to sell Windows which is what VirtualPC did/may do for them in the future.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 02:11 PM

Indeed, they don't have to face the anti-trust concerns if people have Macs running VPC and Windows, but get the business. It's certainly to MS' advantage to get it running well on Macs. Perhaps they think they'll get switchers there too.

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by macmike42:
Damn, no more tom-foolery on screenshots.haque.net?
That's right, yous b*tches!

Now .. lets gets some REAL OS X screenshots up there!

http://screenshots.haque.net/
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules