Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Sewing Pattern from Computer Drawing

Sewing Pattern from Computer Drawing
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2006, 01:36 PM

Does anyone here have any experience or know where I could go to get a drawing turned into a pattern that could be sewed?

R

chirpy22
May 4, 2006, 11:13 AM

You mean embroidery?
You just need to talk with a company that does embroidery and provide them with the artwork. It will usually need to be fairly simple, spot color type work with a minimal number of colors.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006, 01:28 AM

No no... I mean, taking a drawing and turning it into a pattern.

For example, I give you a drawing of a thing, Front, Back, Side... You take that and make a pattern so I can cut out fabric and sew the thing and make it real.

R

chirpy22
May 12, 2006, 12:09 AM

I guess I don't understand. If you already have a drawing of it why would you need someone to make another drawing? What is the difference between your drawing and a "pattern".
Front, back and side indicates that the thing would be 3 dimensional, but sewing is used for material/fabric.
Can you be really specific about what you want?

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006, 01:39 AM

I have an illustration of a "thing." Yes, front, back, side...
However, there is an efficient way to break up the "thing" so that when sewing it, it can be replicated in a way that holds true to the illustration. There are certain conventions that people who make patterns use so that a thing can be mass produced.

If you had an illustration of a cube, you would need a pattern with dimensions and such to make the cube.

All of that said... I have already bent my design/illustration skills to make a very detailed pattern (blue print if you will) of the thing I need produced. Survival out of necessity I guess

Thanks for the replies folks!

- R

Thorzdad
May 18, 2006, 09:34 AM

You might find a source on this page. It appears to have links to pattern makers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules