Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple SMC 1.1 Firmware Update Out for Macbook

Apple SMC 1.1 Firmware Update Out for Macbook (Page 2)
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by borgobello View Post
P.S. on my 3rd week MacBook never experienced inspected shutdowns.
You might have gotten one of the ones with a fixed heat sink or your one lucky fella!
Signature depreciated.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
^^^When heat sinks get bigger from heat the fans move faster, right? When a heat sink was designed with a flaw (i.e. the original MacBook heat sink being 1 nanometer [or whatever scale] to big so the heat censor thought that it was overheating so it shut the computer down). People with the original MacBook heat sink needed the update to make the fans run a little bit faster so the machine doesn't RSS. (i.e. 1:1 ratio increased to a 1:1.5 or 1:2 ratio [the left side of the ratio being temp. and the right side being fan speed]).

(P.S. if you still don't understand, I've been up all night)
what is this gobbledegook (heh thats in the OS X dictionary)? seriously.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
what is this gobbledegook (heh thats in the OS X dictionary)? seriously.
He is 14 so keep that in mind when he gives his expert opinion.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
Does that mean my opinion isn't valued because i'm 17? Although what CATS said was bollocks, see my previous post.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
Jest because I'm 14 (15 on the 30th) I can't help people with problems on there Mac or explain what I'm talking about (even if they don't get it)? This is the very reason I left the lounge...
Signature depreciated.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2006, 03:47 PM

Jest because I'm 14 (15 on the 30th) I can't help people with problems on there Mac or explain what I'm talking about (even if they don't get it)? This is the very reason I left the lounge...
I don't want to share my birthday!

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 06:08 PM

I just ran the upgrade earlier today. My MB is running a bit cooler according to CoreDuoTemp, so that's nice, but I actually just experienced my first random shutdown now. I had been working on it, closed it to put it to sleep, brought it home in its case per usual, and when I opened it up, it was off. Upon restart, I got a message saying something like it had "restarted" due to a sudden OS shutdown. I thought this update was supposed to help with these sorts of problems, not cause them... anyone else having trouble? I had noticed recently that when my battery starts running low, my MB will shut off sometimes with no warning, but I figured that to be a battery-related issue. This time it was fully charged, so that shouldn't have played into it.

eightbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 06:14 PM

that's a different problem than the random shutdown. you have to wait for the computer to completely turn off before shutting the lid. if you don't, it'll get stuck in this quasi-sleep mode, things will get hot, and you'll not be able to turn on the system correctly the next time.

edit: just realized that you said you closed it to put it to sleep. that shouldn't have caused that problem. are you sure you didn't try to turn it off first?

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 06:26 PM

Very sure. I very rarely shut down my computer and never in that sort of situation. I just close it. It definitely was asleep or at least should have been, and then when I started it back up gave me a message that it had shut down due to an error.

Edit: It was hot to the touch when I took it out of the case, so something screwy might have been going on, but by then it was off.

yusung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 06:48 PM

It takes the MacBook slightly longer to go to sleep than earlier machines since it is writing the memory to disk (the "safe sleep"). You can see this by noting the delay between closing the lid and the pulsating light.

However, if you move the MacBook during this time period (at least enough to set off the sudden motion sensor) a Kernal Panic may occur. The end result will be something similar to what you are describing.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jesrae View Post
I just ran the upgrade earlier today. My MB is running a bit cooler according to CoreDuoTemp, so that's nice, but I actually just experienced my first random shutdown now. I had been working on it, closed it to put it to sleep, brought it home in its case per usual, and when I opened it up, it was off. Upon restart, I got a message saying something like it had "restarted" due to a sudden OS shutdown. I thought this update was supposed to help with these sorts of problems, not cause them... anyone else having trouble? I had noticed recently that when my battery starts running low, my MB will shut off sometimes with no warning, but I figured that to be a battery-related issue. This time it was fully charged, so that shouldn't have played into it.
That might be a kernel panic. It might be the firmware acting strangely in your system.
Signature depreciated.

acoustix
Oct 30, 2006, 01:22 AM

I have been wondering about one thing regarding this update and the shutdown problem; if the problem was strictly a hardware/heatsink issue (and hence the suspicions about this firmware quick fix), then why did some people only begin to become effected after installing 10.4.8 or after installing the first firmware update, in effect "triggering" it with software/firmware? Is it also possible that certain overheating problems could be re-distributed/rerouted/eliminated with a firmware fix? Maybe people (software engineers) who actually know something about the topic could comment....
( Last edited by acoustix; Oct 30, 2006 at 11:32 PM. )
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

kennedy
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by kapkorn View Post
It is supposed to correct the Random Shutdowns.
It doesn't... just had a Random Shutdown.

BUT, it does seem to lessen the frequency. For the last almost 3 days, I've been sleeping and waking my computer with high frequency. In the past, I rarely survive waking up once, let alone multiple times. So, I almost thought it was solved.

Then I was just sitting here trying to book a flight... and now I need to make another visit to the Apple Store and give them a second try at the hardware fix.

Very disappointing!
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 01:57 AM

Jest because I'm 14 (15 on the 30th) I can't help people with problems on there Mac or explain what I'm talking about (even if they don't get it)?
No but it helps put some of your gobbledygook into perspective.

I thought I just saw you in the lounge?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2006, 04:36 PM

I have yet to have the problem since upgrading.

Powerbook lover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 07:43 PM

I sent my mac in to get it repaired for the RSS and they only updated the firmware. I still haven't experience the RSS but my fan is now constantly on. The battery charge only last an hour because of this. Please help!

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2006, 07:47 PM

Increasing the volume (which is unlikely because you cant increase volume of speakers with an update it has to do with wiring), cooling down the comp. and lowering fan noise are all great things. But the one I really care about is it being able to "prevent" unexpected shutdowns. If it does that I will be very happy.

Powerbook lover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 08:03 PM

Okay. I think I might have fixed the fan speed issue by resetting the PRAM.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
Increasing the volume (which is unlikely because you cant increase volume of speakers with an update it has to do with wiring)
volume has to do with wiring? It think it depends on the amount of power and the maximum volume setting which can be adjusted with software.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
volume has to do with wiring? It think it depends on the amount of power and the maximum volume setting which can be adjusted with software.
the speakers are not going to get better do to a firmware update. they would onlygetbetter if they were replaced.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
the speakers are not going to get better do to a firmware update. they would onlygetbetter if they were replaced.
Sorry but mine are MUCH louder after this update so someone must have snuck in my house and replaced them.

KingCore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by urzsite View Post
How do you actually see what the processor speed is at ? I have a 2Ghz Macbook too.
Run this: CoolBook 1.0 - MacUpdate

If you want, this will end all your heat problems and let your MacBook get a longer life.

chadseld
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 06:56 PM

I'm just bummed that the update seems to have turned off speed-step. My MB runs about 5C hotter at idle than before. I don't run on battery power much, but I expect there is a small reduction in battery life associated with the change. I wonder if there will be a third firmware update which turns speed-step back on?
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by chadseld View Post
I'm just bummed that the update seems to have turned off speed-step. My MB runs about 5C hotter at idle than before. I don't run on battery power much, but I expect there is a small reduction in battery life associated with the change. I wonder if there will be a third firmware update which turns speed-step back on?
CoreDuoTemp tells me that it still works on mine. Are you using that?

acoustix
Nov 2, 2006, 12:55 AM

I'm done with CoreDuoTemp as everytime I start up it says: "Speedit not installed-please open Speedit installer"-it has never given accurate temps for longer than two minutes anyways.
"Fan Control" gives the proper temperature, along wth the fan access.
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
I'm done with CoreDuoTemp as everytime I start up it says: "Speedit not installed-please open Speedit installer"-it has never given accurate temps for longer than two minutes anyways.
"Fan Control" gives the proper temperature, along wth the fan access.
Install Speedit, it worked for me just fine.

acoustix
Nov 2, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
Install Speedit, it worked for me just fine.
I have installed Speedit; many times. It won't stay installed and keeps asking me to re-install it every time I reboot. I read somewhere on-line that this was a known issue. Also like I said the readings have never been close to accurate, always saying "19C", etc.
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

chadseld
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
CoreDuoTemp tells me that it still works on mine. Are you using that?
Yeah, using core duo temp, it reports that my CPU never drops under 2GHz for any reason. I don't suppose it's a huge deal, but it is still a bit of a bummer.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 01:28 PM

iStat nano works great for temperature readings.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 01:31 PM

iStat nano and pro don't see any temp sensors in my macbook

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
iStat nano and pro don't see any temp sensors in my macbook
You have to install Speedit first. I was puzzled by that for a while.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 02:51 PM

After this upgrade, my Word opens almost as fast as universal apps. Photoshop and Illustrator are a little faster, but still pretty doggy. But after I was done playing a bit of Quake 4, both of my CPUs were at 118 F, right now, it is at 59 F.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by xsphat View Post
After this upgrade, my Word opens almost as fast as universal apps. Photoshop and Illustrator are a little faster, but still pretty doggy.
???

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:51 PM

After this upgrade, my Word opens almost as fast as universal apps. Photoshop and Illustrator are a little faster, but still pretty doggy. But after I was done playing a bit of Quake 4, both of my CPUs were at 118 F, right now, it is at 59 F.
I think the speed increase is either your imagination or due to some other factor. Also, there is only one temperature sensor.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
???
Ditto.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 05:31 PM

unfortunately, the speedit site is down for maintenance and I can't find a mirror anywhere

scoot
Nov 2, 2006, 09:58 PM

I installed the update shortly after it appeared. I had been experiencing random shutdowns intermittently since the previous firmware update.

So far, it's been up for 5+ days, with pretty heavy use (which I'd been avoiding) and frequent sleep/wake cycles. Over the last day or so, temps have been at the 80C level, with no shutdown, fans running.

I forgot *why* it was running hot. I'd started dual "yes >/dev/null" processes 30 hours ago. They're still running. Whoops.
--
Scott

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 12:53 AM

It was the restart...lol

xsphat
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2006, 01:56 AM

Yeah thanks, I'm stupid, I know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules