Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MB power adapter trouble?

MB power adapter trouble?
Heavy
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 02:29 PM

A few months back my adapter started acting funny. I plug it in, and I watch the color go from green to orange then immediately off. I wiggle the wall wart and it does it again. After a few tries I get it to stay and fully charge. It did this intermittently from time to time. Now today it's doing it again but the charge light will not stay on after many attempts. I tried several outlets and don't know what else to do. The MB seems to run fine.

I hear a pretty loud bzzzzzz- bzzzzz when I move the wart around at the outlet. I also got a shock once. Is there a known problem with these, and are they warrantied? How much is a new one?

chadseld
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 03:37 PM

They are covered in the 1 year warranty that came with your mac. They cost about $130 to replace outside of warranty. Call applecare and be sure to mention that you got shocked. If they don't send you a new one then they are crazy.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 02:55 PM

Thanks. I contacted Apple and received a new adapter. It didn't fix the problem. I plug it in and get a green light and then it goes off. No orange light. I plug it in again, same thing and wiggle it around, until I finally get an orange light and it charges. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

chadseld
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
Thanks. I contacted Apple and received a new adapter. It didn't fix the problem. I plug it in and get a green light and then it goes off. No orange light. I plug it in again, same thing and wiggle it around, until I finally get an orange light and it charges. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?
Bad connector on the macbook? Bad battery? Bad logic board? You will have to keep working with applecare and try things one by one.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Forum Links
Forum Rules