Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > XOSX (eX - O - S - Ten) theme

XOSX (eX - O - S - Ten) theme
Dace
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 03:33 PM

Here are some screenshots of what I've accomplished so far:

ATM ( general idea, I'll modify it later to have the text on the sphere only)

X menu selected

BIGGER SCREENSHOT

The inactive titlebar only has the green part transparant. Menu's inactive text is barely visible...which is not really a prob, just looks odd (only prob I found was with the clock which displays the date in inactive text). Let me know what you think of the inactive scroll tracks. I'll post the graphite variation later on and I'll also modify the toolbar widgets. The X close widget becomes red when you have a file opened that hasn't been saved.
( Last edited by Dace; Jan 9, 2003 at 03:42 PM. )

headbirth
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 03:37 PM

Love it.....any color variations (a white version) planned after the initial release?

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by headbirth:
Love it.....any color variations (a white version) planned after the initial release?
No I don't think I'll release any color variations. This theme is inspired by the XBOX videogame system...that should explain the present colors.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 05:13 PM

I like this a lot, even though it makes my eyes catch on fire. I like it a lot a lot.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 05:34 PM

OMG, that's so hideous. It's a great effort to mimic the Xbox, great work. But seeing as I hate the Xbox, M$ and the colors of the Xbox, it's only natural that I dislike the theme.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
OMG, that's so hideous. It's a great effort to mimic the Xbox, great work. But seeing as I hate the Xbox, M$ and the colors of the Xbox, it's only natural that I dislike the theme.
Thanks for sharing. It was very constructive. And I'm not "mimicking" the XBOX, I'm inspired by the XBOX

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Thanks for sharing. It was very constructive. And I'm not "mimicking" the XBOX, I'm inspired by the XBOX
No prb. You know what I meant by mimic, you mimiced the feel, the style and the colros of the Xbox. So in a sence, you are 'mimicking' the Xbox and quite nicely.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 05:55 PM

Hey Kid Red, have U played Halo on the Xbox... ??

Try seeing things for what they are and not where they come from. Well.. youy loss not mine.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
No prb. You know what I meant by mimic, you mimiced the feel, the style and the colros of the Xbox. So in a sence, you are 'mimicking' the Xbox and quite nicely.
I see, well that's good. I succeeded then.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by chezpaul:
Hey Kid Red, have U played Halo on the Xbox... ??

Try seeing things for what they are and not where they come from. Well.. youy loss not mine.
No I haven't, I'm stuborn about my PS2. Also, I'm just uncomfortable supporting M$, escpecially since they grabbed Halo for the single purpose of attracting more gamers to their platform. Halo and maybe Clancy's new one are the only games I'd play, so it's not worth it to me.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 06:08 PM

I see, well that's good. I succeeded then.
Yea it's a great job, wondering about a possible PS2 theme, hehehe

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2003, 06:09 PM

im quite happy to see a non-grey/whiteish theme for OSX. i dont think id ever use it, but it certainly looks well executed.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 06:40 PM

I would definitely put this in the rotation, looks great - refreshing to see a non-grey/white theme...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2003, 06:41 PM

I think it looks good. Though I think it'd look better with squared titlebars. I also don't think it's a good idea to put words in widgets like in the disabled scrollbars. I'd mention the pills on the left of the titlebar but I'm sure you are going to replace those.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by smoke-tetsu:
I think it looks good. Though I think it'd look better with squared titlebars. I also don't think it's a good idea to put words in widgets like in the disabled scrollbars. I'd mention the pills on the left of the titlebar but I'm sure you are going to replace those.
I'm growing fond of the words in the inactive scroll track. And what "pills" on the left of the titlebar? Do you mean the toolbar widgets on the right of the titlebar? Yeah. I'm gonna replace the toolbar widget.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 06:50 PM

I would never use it but it looks amazing. I think XBox lovers will really dig this.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 09:11 PM

Update:

I made the left side of the titebar square, I themed the toolbar widget and here's a screenshot of the Graphite variation:

SCREENSHOT

macmike42
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 10:11 PM

Honestly, I liked the original Apple menu and close/min/max widgets better. Way more garish. Garish is good in an X-Box theme.

If you are going for the more refined look, that's cool, but I was really digging the garish alien X-Box thing you had going on.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by macmike42:
Honestly, I liked the original Apple menu and close/min/max widgets better. Way more garish. Garish is good in an X-Box theme.

If you are going for the more refined look, that's cool, but I was really digging the garish alien X-Box thing you had going on.
It's still there don't worry. If you read closely I said that it was the "Graphite" variation. Aqua=garish, Graphite=Refined

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 11:05 PM

[B]Only prob I found was with the clock which displays the date in inactive text).
I have the same problem with I use my theme with black menus. Is BBX Mercury like that too? I can't remember. Please let me know if you find out how to solve this problem. Your theme is looking GREAT!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 01:55 AM

The pills (toolbar buttons) look better in that variation. And the left side looks good. Except I also liked the X's in the firt variation better. The X seems too light in the apple menu in this one.

Keep it up, this will be a nice theme.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by smoke-tetsu:
The pills (toolbar buttons) look better in that variation. And the left side looks good. Except I also liked the X's in the firt variation better. The X seems too light in the apple menu in this one.

Keep it up, this will be a nice theme.
Just as long as u understand it's the graphite variation...the Xes are still there (in aqua variation). I'll see what I can do about enhancing the X in the jewel. Thanks for the support and feedback.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 05:53 PM

The minimize button in the aqua varient looks funny.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2003, 05:58 AM

Dace, can we assume a matching dock skin for this beauty?

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 01:50 PM

Hay that's cool! I had that idea about a year ago, but I don't know how to make themes. ^_^

The scroll bars need work... but looks great other than that. Maybe you'll get some ideas form the Windows Media Skin?

I'll try to find you more screens if you like, it's got scroll bars too that you might be interested in.
( Last edited by NetworkShadow; Jan 11, 2003 at 02:01 PM. )
click one

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by LeeG:
Dace, can we assume a matching dock skin for this beauty?

Lee
Yes you can

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Hay that's cool! I had that idea about a year ago, but I don't know how to make themes. ^_^

The scroll bars need work... but looks great other than that. Maybe you'll get some ideas form the Windows Media Skin?
Inactive scrollbars or active ones? 'Cause I haven't themed the active scrollbars yet, you're getting ahead of me. And post any images you might find useful...I need all the inspiration and help that I can get.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2003, 05:00 PM

If you have access to an Xbox, try taking a look at it's interface.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 06:03 PM

Well the XboxLive demo disk might be more what your looking for... The Xbox's dashboard doesn't look anything like this though.
click one

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 06:14 PM

Well the XboxLive demo disk might be more what your looking for... The Xbox's dashboard doesn't look anything like this though.
Unfortunately I don't own an XBOX...I could rent one I guess, but I rather not.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 06:45 PM

I'm sure you can get some screens, or go to a software store to look at it. http://www.xbox.com might gave you some ideas.
click one

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2003, 08:02 PM

using my best threepio voice:

"Oh, how horrid!"

Lyric OS 13.0
Jan 11, 2003, 09:10 PM

Dace,

Me thinks I like this one also. What theme of your's haven't I liked so far?

Me thinks I need to sleep now. (Another XBox lover.)

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2003, 09:26 PM

goes and looks at Xbox.com...........AAAAGGGGGG! MY EYES! Must close window before eye damage is permanent!

Good Lord I didn't think the Xbox it's self was up to much, it's ok in a sort of big black plastic lump sort of way. But what was the designer thinking when they came up with that.
Your theme looks better than that site, the less inspiration you need from that the better.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 09:34 PM

Well if you did own an Xbox I'm sure you'd like it a lot. I love mine! I'm the most die hard Mac user ever, and I still like the Xbox.
click one

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
goes and looks at Xbox.com...........AAAAGGGGGG! MY EYES! Must close window before eye damage is permanent!

Good Lord I didn't think the Xbox it's self was up to much, it's ok in a sort of big black plastic lump sort of way. But what was the designer thinking when they came up with that.
Your theme looks better than that site, the less inspiration you need from that the better.
I agree with you that the website design is very disappointing. I think it use to be better when it was starting out...but I'm not sure.

I just love the shiny black and bright green, reminds me of old computers with black screens and green text (The Matrix)...I also love the way the X is a rip in the ground where there seems to be a radiating green core. It's a very cool story telling logo...What does it mean? What's trying to come out? etc, etc Makes me think of light breaking, ripping through darkness. A beginning. All of this inspired me to create a theme....which would be perfect, since the XBOX is too much of a Mac OS X rip-off (or to be pc, inspired by OSX).

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 10:27 PM

And then in the other hand is www.nintendogamecube.com with a very nice and clean site, but then again the GameCube console design is much better too, and the games also are superior...anyway, i think i'm getting way off topic.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 11:31 PM

Well if you did own an Xbox I'm sure you'd like it a lot. I love mine! I'm the most die hard Mac user ever, and I still like the Xbox.
Ditto here. I own an Xbox and a Gamecube. The PS2 is out of the question. It sucks. And it sucks. But I will be getting Xbox Live soon. PS2's implimentation of online gaming SUCKS.

What was this thread about again?

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 12, 2003, 05:43 AM

I too have an Xbox. I've only got Halo so far, but it's such a great game that it's worth buying the console just for that game.
Although I was thinking about buying an Gamecube because of Metroid... But you can't have it all... And Halo 2 will be sweet

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 06:59 PM

-I've got all the new consoles and an older one: Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube and Xbox. So know what I'm talking about when I say a console is good.
I really think the Xbox has a better design than the GameCube. For one the Game"Cube" isn't even really a cube, it's just a box...

-Yes the Xbox.com site does suck for the most part... There are a few cool things about it like the top banner/nav.

-As for the theme, I'd say don't over do the green, keep it black for the most part and use green as a highlight. The Xbox it's self is all black but the green thing on the top and the silver buttions and green power light. For the tool bar you might want to have it black with dark grey stripes.
http://xbox.ign.com/ has a better Xbox layout than xbox.com, you might be interested in it's design also.
click one

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 07:06 PM

Like the theme, but I'm not sure I could cope with all that green all the time... I prefer something a little easier on the eyes!!

I do have an xbox though and XBLive and have been very impressed so far...

If only there were more hours in the day I'd have time to play the bloody thing more..

Halo is awesome in surround sound though!!

Keep up the good work...

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2003, 07:37 PM

I just love the shiny black and bright green, reminds me of old computers with black screens and green text (The Matrix)...I also love the way the X is a rip in the ground where there seems to be a radiating green core. It's a very cool story telling logo...What does it mean? What's trying to come out? etc, etc Makes me think of light breaking, ripping through darkness. A beginning. All of this inspired me to create a theme....which would be perfect, since the XBOX is too much of a Mac OS X rip-off (or to be pc, inspired by OSX).
<slightly off topic> Does the US version of the Xbox have a big "X" logo (like on the box) in that green circle on the top of the console? On the UK version it is a big flat solid lurid green circle with XBOX wrote on it in silver, it looks kind of cheap. </slightly off topic>

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2003, 07:39 PM

I just love the shiny black and bright green, reminds me of old computers with black screens and green text (The Matrix)...I also love the way the X is a rip in the ground where there seems to be a radiating green core. It's a very cool story telling logo...What does it mean? What's trying to come out? etc, etc Makes me think of light breaking, ripping through darkness. A beginning.
<slightly off topic> Does the US version of the Xbox have a big "X" logo (like on the box) in that green circle on the top of the console? On the UK version it is a big flat solid lurid green circle with XBOX wrote on it in silver, it looks kind of cheap. </slightly off topic>

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 08:17 PM

Ya the US one sux too with the cheap green thing with silver 'XBOX' on it. It's the Japanese one I think that's got the nice translusent green thing, but it also says "Xbox" in silver on it.
click one

mac15
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 09:33 AM

What ever happened to this theme?

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 09:53 AM

In my opinion, dace's design smacks the xbox up the side of the head. It's fresh and different, even from the xbox site, if MS had true designers on board, they might have done something like what dace is doing...

Instead they gave a blue and green suppository, with a cloudy sky...sheesh.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 10:07 AM

The mockup liiiiiiives!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 10:09 AM

I started to work on my own Xbox theme a while ago but when I saw this I completely haulted that project. It was horrible compared to this theme. I hope this one actually gets finished unlike mine

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 10:36 AM

What is Dace's mockup to theme ratio? I have seen some really cool mockups from him but never a complete theme. I'm still waiting on those Eylo icons too....

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2004, 07:32 PM

I love the idea of an Xbox theme (I'm an Xbox whore, go figure), but I did prefer the first set of widgets in the slash style personally... they may have been too large to pull off in Panther but reduced they'd be really cool. NS had a point though - when we developed the guidelines and identity for Xbox the idea was that the black should always dominate and green be the fire or power revealed sparingly. Unfortunately nobody follows guidelines - Xboxdom is swimming in way too much green... the green seems to have more impact when it's used sparingly. My 2�

XboxLive Gamertag: BBX

PGR2 � RAINBOW6 � CRIMSON SKIES � GRIT � LINKS2004 � NINJAGAIDEN
and soon, SC�PT and DOAU

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 07:40 PM

XBOX ROCKS!!!!

Yup, it needs to be very black with green hi-lights, as BBX said in agreement with my post from a year ago. I don't get the light design for http://Xbox.com ether...
I do like the WindowsMedia player though for the most part:
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules