Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How often does Apple replace...

How often does Apple replace...
TbmnL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 03:54 AM

...a defective laptop with new one?

I'm only asking because my iBook has had overheating problems for the past four months. It's still under warranty since it was purchased last October. I have taken it to the Apple store over a month ago and I thought they had found the problem and was fixed. But once I got it back, the problem was still there and at times shut down by itself because it gets so hot. Also, my headphone slot won't work, well the left side of the headphone (and I've tested numerous head and earphones on it) doesn't work.

If they can't fix the problem the first time around, does it warrant a replacement?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2006, 10:31 AM

No, but sometimes the third time they will replace it. But it is rarely with a "new" one, it is just the same model that yours was, so if you have a 800MHz G4, you will get a "new" 800MHz G4 back.

shiropetto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2006, 08:46 PM

if you're still under the warranty and they can't fix the problem, will they replace your laptop model with another one? my macbook has a small triangular shaped light patch on my display screen which you can only see when the macbook is turned off and when you view it at an angle. it is actually pretty hard to see. i've searched the forums but i couldn't find anything. i bought this macbook in korea so when i took it for repairs, they said that they could niether fix ir nor replace it. they said that there's nothing to fix because the macbook is functioning, and that these things on the screen can happen here and there and it's perfectly natural so that they can't replace it. so i called U.S. apple custom support last night and they told me that this was absolutely absurd and that they will take a look at it when i go back to the states.

so my question is: if they can't fix a simple (it's just an annoyance that i can deal with if i really have to) problem, will they replace it? it's such a small nuisance that doesn't affect the computer's functionality at all.

any input would be appreciated

Forum Links
Forum Rules