Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Popcorn from Roxio

Popcorn from Roxio
badtz
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 06:00 PM

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/popcorn/index.jhtml

seems VERY interesting...... hopefully the compression will be as good [if not better] than DVD2OneX ......

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 08:08 PM

How can they keep the same quality and still make the DVD play on your player, even thought the size have been cut in half...?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 09:18 PM

Versatile Copier
Copy non-encrypted* DVD-Video discs, disc image files, and valid VIDEO_TS folders from hard disk. Compatible with DVD-Video content from popular ripping utilities.�

*Does not copy encrypted or copy protected DVDs. USE OF THIS SOFTWARE TO MAKE UNAUTHORIZED COPIES OF MOVIES AND OTHER CONTENT MAY REQUIRE THE PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNER.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 10:41 PM

DVD Remaster (among others) have long featured compressing 8.8GB DVD original presses down to 4.5GB single DVD-R with amazingly good results. Its hard to believe until comparing the original to copy on a good monitor, there's very little loss overall, just finest detail is sacrificed and some fast motion smoothness. Most viewers can't even see the difference or care.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
How can they keep the same quality and still make the DVD play on your player, even thought the size have been cut in half...?
It can't and won't be the same quality. I've used a few programs (such as DVD2One mentioned above) and the quality goes down a little bit. Such is the nature of lossy compression. But it comes in handy for copying out of print movies, so that's what I use it for.

Until dual layer media comes down in price, that is!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 09:36 AM

There's a $20 discount if you register your copy of Toast... but I can't see a way to get the discount if your Toast is already registered (I get an "already registered" error). Anyone figure this one out??

tr
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
There's a $20 discount if you register your copy of Toast... but I can't see a way to get the discount if your Toast is already registered (I get an "already registered" error). Anyone figure this one out??
yes, just register again. if you're in the system already, it will recognize you; hence, you won't be registering twice. check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for a bunch of reports on this.

tr

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by tr:
yes, just register again. if you're in the system already, it will recognize you; hence, you won't be registering twice. check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com for a bunch of reports on this.

tr
The problem is, I get a "CD Key already registered" message... no way to continue to add it to my shopping cart. Eh, I guess I'll have to call customer service. And, no, my copy of Toast is not warez, nor have I shared my key with any one.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2004, 05:59 AM

Popcorn doesn't remove extra crap from the DVD the way DVD2one does.
(Like removing a chapter thats just the credits, etc.)

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Popcorn doesn't remove extra crap from the DVD the way DVD2one does.
(Like removing a chapter thats just the credits, etc.)
From the main page on the site...
Flexible Extraction: Copy an entire disc or extract just the main movie, audio and language.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 10:41 AM

OK. Downloaded and installed....

I've not really tried DVD2One, so I can't compare the two, but Popcorn works rather well.
Its pretty fast at re-compressing video and can extract just the main feature from a DVD. For example, a 138 minute video was re-encoded to fit a standard single-layer DVD-R in about 16 minutes on my G5. Then burned in about 6 minutes or so.

The nice thing is that when you extract just the main feature, popping the disk in to a DVD player will start the movie - no menus to go through. I think I'm going to copy all of my kids' DVDs like this. My oldest is 6 and I have twin 4 year olds. While they can turn on the TV and DVD player, they have trouble with the DVD menus and all the damn commercials/previews. To have a disk just start with the movie would be fantastic for them (and make life easier for me).

The disk burner seems to use the Toast engine and supports buffer-underrun protection and disc verification, and so far I've had 4 out of 4 successful burns at 8x on my DVR-107 (modified firmware for 8x burns on 4x media).

The extraction options are limited but useful - full disk or main feature only. When you select main feature only, you're given a list of languages to include/exclude (English, French, Spanish, etc). You can also choose to keep all the soundtracks (Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby 2.0, DTS) or just the Dolby Digital 5.1. It would be nice to be able to pick which, instead of an all-or-nothing, but I can live with it. There may be times, however, where I would like to keep the DTS track but skip the others. Maybe it will be added in a future version. The software also shows you how much additional compression is required to make what you've selected fit on your blank DVD.

The software is basic, but works as advertised. Results have been 100% playable on my Toshiba DVD player using Memorex 8x and Apple 4x (burned at 8x speed) DVD-R media.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 11:37 AM

For already registered owners, the FAQ says:

[If you have already registered, you will receive instant discount emails from Roxio.'

This sounds very interesting -- I'll await my e-mail!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 02:08 PM

The nice thing is that when you extract just the main feature, popping the disk in to a DVD player will start the movie - no menus to go through. I think I'm going to copy all of my kids' DVDs like this. My oldest is 6 and I have twin 4 year olds. While they can turn on the TV and DVD player, they have trouble with the DVD menus and all the damn commercials/previews. To have a disk just start with the movie would be fantastic for them (and make life easier for me).
My LG DVD player has an option to jump right into the movie when you put in a disk. It is great.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 07:35 PM

Have been looking for something quick and easy like this. Tried it today and works as advertised.

osxisfun
Nov 22, 2004, 07:57 PM

JHromadka,

do they have a demo? I'd like to try it with a couple of my video_ts folders i got from my client before i purchase.

(i looked but could not find one.)

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 09:17 PM

No demo.

Anywho, i just got it and tried it. It is OK but the thing I don't like is you don't have the option to remove the subtitles or menues which take up a ton of space.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

osxisfun
Nov 22, 2004, 09:23 PM

thx.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
No demo.

Anywho, i just got it and tried it. It is OK but the thing I don't like is you don't have the option to remove the subtitles or menues which take up a ton of space.
Don't some of the rippers give you this kind of option? You may be able to use those first then Popcorn.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Don't some of the rippers give you this kind of option? You may be able to use those first then Popcorn.
Ya but that is sorta defeating the whole purpose if I have to mix and match and choose all these options then isn't it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 01:22 AM

SO does this work on CSS copy DVDs and you are just not suppose to use it on it, or do you have to use a utli to remove the CSS, then use Popcorn to make backups of commercial DVDs?

Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by timmerk:
SO does this work on CSS copy DVDs and you are just not suppose to use it on it, or do you have to use a utli to remove the CSS, then use Popcorn to make backups of commercial DVDs?
You have to remove it first with Mac the ripper.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 02:15 AM

Has anyone tried it with dvds from different regions? I travel a good deal so I have dvds from the US, Australasia and Europe. Be nice if I could skip right to a movie and just have it on one disc.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Has anyone tried it with dvds from different regions? I travel a good deal so I have dvds from the US, Australasia and Europe. Be nice if I could skip right to a movie and just have it on one disc.
Again, it WILL NOT COPY OR REMOVE REGION CODING FOR ANY COMMERCIAL DVD'S FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

You can use Mac The Ripper to remove any region coding and copy protection then use Popcorn to burn and reduce the file size.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 03:06 AM

I wasn't asking if it would remove anything. I was asking if it's compatible with DVDs from different regions, PAL, NTSC. I'd hate to buy it, then not be able to make copies of some of my discs (legally purchased, thank you).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 03:18 AM

I wasn't asking if it would remove anything. I was asking if it's compatible with DVDs from different regions, PAL, NTSC. I'd hate to buy it, then not be able to make copies of some of my discs (legally purchased, thank you).
Well you're welcome but you are still saying you want to make COPIES of disks from whatever regions.

Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 03:33 AM

No demo.

Turns out I was wrong about the menu but I am still not clear on the subtitles:

"Main Movie Only: This option will only copy the longest running main title. All other titles and extras will be excluded. This will reduce the amount of compression needed and result in better video quality. The copied disc will not have a menu and should start the movie automatically when inserted into the DVD player."

Meritocracy
Nov 23, 2004, 06:54 PM

Yes, MacTheRipper etc. will remove any region protection, so whatever you subsequently burn will be all-region.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Meritocracy:
Yes, MacTheRipper etc. will remove any region protection, so whatever you subsequently burn will be all-region.
I told him that already but he still seemed all snippy about it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 07:36 PM

DVD2OneX has been able to do this for a long time now. Plus it appears it offers you more options.

Meritocracy
Nov 24, 2004, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
DVD2OneX has been able to do this for a long time now. Plus it appears it offers you more options.
True, but Popcorn is cheaper and incorporates burning in the application itself. For those who want something simple and effective, this is a nice little 1.0 release by Roxio. Having a major company working on an application such as this for the Mac can do nothing but bring better releases for all competing products.

Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 02:03 AM

It is also incedibly hard to figure out plus you still need ANOTHER app to burn it with after. So I see what is wrong with just using Popcorn and Mac the ripper instead of 3 apps.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Meritocracy:
Having a major company working on an application such as this for the Mac can do nothing but bring better releases for all competing products.
That, or make the other small companies pull out or stop making Mac software all together.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 02:12 AM

It is also incedibly hard to figure out plus you still need ANOTHER app to burn it with after. So I see what is wrong with just using Popcorn and Mac the ripper instead of 3 apps.
So using two applications is that much better than using 3? I know where you are coming from, but if you want something that simple, just go with FastDVD copy. One click and your set.

Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 02:55 AM

So using two applications is that much better than using 3? I know where you are coming from, but if you want something that simple, just go with FastDVD copy. One click and your set.
Ya but that is $100 and people report LOTS of problems with it.

Not to mention that have a poor method of registration that ties a computers hardware serial to the app. Screw that.

So Popcorn for $50 or even less if you own Toast and Mac the Ripper FREE.

Or

Mac the ripper Free
DVD2One $49 Euros
Toast $89

Or

Fast DVD copy $100

So the first solution is cheaper, faster and uses less apps.

Meritocracy
Nov 24, 2004, 03:18 AM

That, or make the other small companies pull out or stop making Mac software all together.
Compete or die. DVD2ONE has enjoyed charging more for the mac version of their software for quite some time. If a competing product, albeit one with a somewhat less distinguished feature set from Roxio comes to market, that's a good thing. I'm of the opinion that competition is inherently a good idea, particularly where Mac software is concerned. If and when Roxio puts out a nice 1.5/2.0 upgrade at this current price point DVD2One can then either upgrade their product to justify the additional cost, or bring it down to what the market will justify. Either way, I'm not particularly worried about a lack of options on this front.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 01:06 PM

Just got my e-mail from Roxio. Since I can get this for $30, I'm going to download this this afternoon on my super drive-equipped laptop and give it a try.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
DVD2oneX lets you do this. Might as well use that for compression, then.

curmi
Senior User
Nov 25, 2004, 05:56 PM

Not being a troll, but the Windows world has this:

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

It is free, and has more features that DVD2OneX or Popcorn.

The author won't give away the source, and isn't interested in an OS X port unfortunately.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2004, 07:14 PM

We just gave this a try. Had 2 different results.

On a DVD that isn't copyright protected, it works straight out and is very simple, intuitive.

On a DVD with protection the first trial worked great. Used Mactheripper and had it extract main movie only. When done, Popcorn opened the saved folder and burned it.

However, on a second DVD with protection we again had MTR extract main movie only. Popcorn couldn't recognize the folder contents this time. So we extracted full contents with MTR and this time Popcorn did recognize it. Seems MTR didn't copy the audio files the first go round.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 11:34 AM

I've had perfect success with Mac The Ripper + Popcorn on several titles.

I use MTR to extract the whole DVD to the hard drive, then I will use Popcorn to either copy the whole disc or extract just the main title and burn.

6 for 6 so far.

*Do not pirate movies*

Disks I've copied have been disks I own. Copies are to give to the kids to use & abuse, so I can keep the originals in good condition.

$30 total. Cheaper than the other options... even on the PC (as many require something like Nero to burn the disks).

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 12:10 PM

Sounds like extracting the entire dvd with MTR and then deciding what parts to burn with Popcorn is the way to go.

What we really like about this is that you don't have to wade through the titles and warning. You just put the dvd in and immediately start watching the movie.

We will probably just use this for the movies we watch most, which are mostly the kids shows. Don't really see the point otherwise.

Why don't they make players that skip all the intro stuff? Or do they? I would probably consider something like that over burning copies of our dvd's.

I also found that the files you create with MTR or Popcorn play perfectly as stored on the hard drive. This could be easier on the battery of my PB vs using the optical drive. May be nice during my travels.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
I also found that the files you create with MTR or Popcorn play perfectly as stored on the hard drive. This could be easier on the battery of my PB vs using the optical drive. May be nice during my travels.
Yes. Playing a movie off the HD is much better on the battery than playing off the optical drive. I do this all the time. Plus, no DVDs to pack, scratch or lose while on a trip.

osxisfun
Nov 27, 2004, 03:36 PM

grrrr. TSID not on box. Must look all over place to find original cd and cd booklet. grrr...

but the serial number IS on the box... grrr...

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2004, 03:53 PM

Im using this app now instead of DVDBackup+DVD2One+Toast. Any comparisons in video quality vs DVD2one?

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2005, 01:05 PM

So if I have a dual layer DVD burner will popcorn (providing i removed the region encoding) let me make an exact copy without compression to the disc?

Or should I just make a disc image of the movie and burn it with toast?

Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 02:40 PM

I've had perfect success with Mac The Ripper + Popcorn on several titles.
Same here, I have burnt about 12 DVD's. Not a single problem.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
So if I have a dual layer DVD burner will popcorn (providing i removed the region encoding) let me make an exact copy without compression to the disc?
Yes.

zappy
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2005, 10:27 AM

Yes.
Is Popcorn really needed for this since no transcoding needs to be done for the movie? Aren't there alternatives to Popcorn if I have a dual layer DVD burner?

divermac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 11:25 AM

buy.com are currently selling Popcorn for $40.67 and they have a $5 off coupon for sales over $40 (sku 20364765) plus Roxio has a $10 mail in rebate if you have Toast, ilife, or OS X 10.2 and above. Final price $25, seems pretty reasonable. Bill

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 02:45 PM

Buy.com has an additional promotion running through end March.

List $37.99

Rebate $10.00 (promotional)
Purchase this Roxio Popcorn from Buy.com and recieve an Additional $10 Mail in Rebate
Offer valid from 3/21/2005 to 3/31/2005

Rebate $10.00 (competitive upgrade)
Purchase Roxio Popcorn at Buy.com and receive a $10 mail in rebate! To qualify for the $10 mail-in rebate you must be a licensed user of a full retail version of one of the following products: Roxio Toast 6 Titanium, Roxio Toast with Jam 6, Apple iLife, Apple DVD Studio Pro or Apple Mac OS X version 10.2, 10.3, or 10.4

Total price; $17.99

Cheers.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules