Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What does an iPod do?

What does an iPod do?
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2007, 10:27 PM

Hi all,

When you're done laughing, here's my post:

My theory is this:

1: user presses Play,

2: iPod gathers together upcoming song/songs and places them in RAM

3: Song currenty playing (and upcoming few in buffer) are played.

4: As current song is playing, iPod gathers new song and puts that in RAM buffer on the bottom of the lists of songs currently in RAM.

cycle continues from step 2

Am I right?
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

Cold Warrior
Sep 15, 2007, 10:33 PM

WTF is your point?

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 11:28 PM

There is no "list" within the RAM. But you're correct that it caches the upcoming songs into the cache to reduce hard drive usage.

The RAM capacity is different for every iPod, so how many songs or minutes it caches will vary for every model.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
WTF is your point?
What is with the bad attitude and rudeness. Kiss your mother with that mouth?

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by applemacbook View Post
There is no "list" within the RAM. But you're correct that it caches the upcoming songs into the cache to reduce hard drive usage.

The RAM capacity is different for every iPod, so how many songs or minutes it caches will vary for every model.
Thank you for the courteous response The "list" to which I refer to is this--when you set the iPod to Shuffle>Songs or any other of the Shuffle options, I surmise that when you start playing a playlist, since the Shuffle option is set, doesn't the iPod generate some sort of internal list (away from the user's view, of course) to go by as it's shuffle-playing the playlist of your choice? That's the list to which I am referring.

Cold Warrior
Sep 16, 2007, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post
Spare me the lecture. The dude asked a lame question. He's a big boy who can take some peer feedback.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 06:02 AM

nm.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 10:51 AM

Spare me the lecture. The dude asked a lame question. He's a big boy who can take some peer feedback.
OR you can act in a civil manner. I bet a dollar to donuts that you wouldn't respond to a stranger in person the way you did here.

It was hardly a "lame question". Consider that there are folks who are new to the forum or just have a question that they are not clear on. Are the forums not here but to help others? Or do you feel they are here for you to act in a manner you wouldn't dare do in public?

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 11:56 AM

WTF is your point?
Internet tough guy!

I remember thinking about that process too when I first got my iPod because I could hear/feel the HDD spinning down between songs.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 03:10 PM

The hard-disk based iPods work by spinning up the hard drive, loading whatever the next 64 or 128 (or however much RAM the thing has) MB of songs the user/OS have determined to be into RAM, and then spinning down the drive. As the RAM content is played or other content is requested that's not currently in RAM, the hard drive is spun up and that content loaded.

I assume the Flash-based players don't need to pre-load, but can play directly from the Flash memory.

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The hard-disk based iPods work by spinning up the hard drive, loading whatever the next 64 or 128 (or however much RAM the thing has) MB of songs the user/OS have determined to be into RAM, and then spinning down the drive. As the RAM content is played or other content is requested that's not currently in RAM, the hard drive is spun up and that content loaded.

I assume the Flash-based players don't need to pre-load, but can play directly from the Flash memory.

Thank you for a quite detailed and very much informative explanation, Just what I needed to answer my question.

OR you can act in a civil manner. I bet a dollar to donuts that you wouldn't respond to a stranger in person the way you did here.

It was hardly a "lame question". Consider that there are folks who are new to the forum or just have a question that they are not clear on. Are the forums not here but to help others? Or do you feel they are here for you to act in a manner you wouldn't dare do in public?
Thank you LW for the courteous defense of my asking a question, Besides, I thought this would be the perfect forum, among experts who could politely and intelligently answer questions no matter how basic or complicated. Thanks again LW.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2007, 06:49 PM

Um, the OP's title is misleading, it says "What does a iPod do?" when it should say "How does a iPod play music?".

No need to fly off the wall like that.
Signature depreciated.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 06:52 PM

How mature of you all. C'mon guys, what's wrong with a few questions?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2007, 06:55 PM

Exactly... give the guy a break will ya. So the title of his post wasn't as explicit as it should have been.... what a bunch of freakin' prima donnas.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2007, 07:02 PM

scoundrels

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 02:58 PM

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
That's why indecision will shorten the battery life of an iPod. If you leave the iPod alone to play from the current selection (whether it be a play list or by artist, shuffle, or any other order) it won't have to spin up the hard drive as often, conserving battery life.

If, on the other hand, you are like me, and change songs often, it'll drain the battery more quickly. I'm not sure just how much this would affect flash-based iPods, though, though there is always some drain every time you interact with the iPod (it needs to process your clicks and, more significantly, turn on the backlight).

RAM is still separate from the flash storage, though, right? So, changing songs would still require some energy, though probably significantly less than spinning up a hard drive would.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
RAM is still separate from the flash storage, though, right? So, changing songs would still require some energy, though probably significantly less than spinning up a hard drive would.
I'm not sure.

Is there a reason why Flash-based iPods shouldn't be able to read directly from flash memory?

Does reading from Flash memory use significantly more power than reading from RAM?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 09:51 PM

The iPod is running some kind of stripped-down OS on its little processor, which requires some RAM to be there. Something has to accept user input and make the display, after all.

Flash chips are not necessarily as easy to access as RAM. Playing MP3's involve reading a little bit of data at a time and processing it in time to make the sound coming out of the device continuous. I don't know what type of Flash chips Apple is using in the iPods, but some flash chips may require you to read data a block at a time, and may not take kindly to reading that block a little at a time. So, it may need to be read a block at a time out of flash, and buffered in RAM so it can be retrieved and decoded at the rate it needs to be.

Reading from flash probably doesn't consume all that much power, especially when compared with SDRAM which needs refreshing every so often. (I don't have the relevant datasheets in front of me, though, so don't hold me to that.) I'm pretty sure, though, that writing flash consumes a lot more power. However, an MP3 player doesn't need to write to flash when it's not connected to a power source.

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
The iPod is running some kind of stripped-down OS on its little processor, which requires some RAM to be there. Something has to accept user input and make the display, after all.
I disagree.
The NEW iPod has a stripped down Mac OS, but the older versions were based on an entirely different system that was developed solely for the iPod.

Flash chips are not necessarily as easy to access as RAM. Playing MP3's involve reading a little bit of data at a time and processing it in time to make the sound coming out of the device continuous. I don't know what type of Flash chips Apple is using in the iPods, but some flash chips may require you to read data a block at a time, and may not take kindly to reading that block a little at a time. So, it may need to be read a block at a time out of flash, and buffered in RAM so it can be retrieved and decoded at the rate it needs to be.
I would agree that reading from Flash is substantially slower than reading from Flash.
It would be interesting to see the technical specifications for the new iPods - how much RAM it has, what kind of processor handles the graphics, etc..

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 07:01 AM

I would agree that reading from Flash is substantially slower than reading from Flash.
I completely disagree with that statement.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 08:33 AM

I disagree.
The NEW iPod has a stripped down Mac OS, but the older versions were based on an entirely different system that was developed solely for the iPod.
It's still running an OS, just not Mac OS.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Um, the OP's title is misleading, it says "What does a iPod do?" when it should say "How does a iPod play music?".

No need to fly off the wall like that.

I hope that as you grow a little older the anal retentive streak you have adopted gets pushed aside.

We are very poor role models for you to be following, I hope you realize that.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 11:32 AM

Us youngins are more mature than you old guys sometimes. It's okay though, everyone has their bad days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules