Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > [All] Team MacNN goals

[All] Team MacNN goals
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 15, 2002, 09:41 PM

These are just some ideas for goals that I've been kicking around for the team, something of a challenge to the team.

Tell me what you think.
  • 50,000/day in ubero
  • #1 in ubero
  • 1000/day in SETI
  • Top 50 overall in SETI
  • Top 100 in folding@home
  • Top 50 in RC5

I'd like to see the team reach these goals by the start of MWNY.

What do you all think? Are those good goals to set for the team?

--Scott

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Scotttheking ]
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2002, 10:08 PM

How about:
Make it to top 50 in rc5?
As an additional point.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2002, 12:00 AM

How about:
Have fun
Taunt peecee teams
Fool around with different clients
... and Have Fun

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2002, 12:15 AM

1000 a day in SETI? ha ha ha .... ok

my 6100/66 is about to complete its first WU ever!! im excited!

Ill see if i can find some puters to throw SETI on....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

discstickers
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
<STRONG>1000 a day in SETI? ha ha ha .... ok

my 6100/66 is about to complete its first WU ever!! im excited!

Ill see if i can find some puters to throw SETI on....</STRONG>
LOL! How long has it been working on it?
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think a lot of people are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2002, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
<STRONG>These are just some ideas for goals that I've been kicking around for the team, something of a challenge to the team.

Tell me what you think.
  • 50,000/day in ubero
  • #1 in ubero
  • 1000/day in SETI
  • Top 50 overall in SETI
  • Top 100 in folding@home
  • Top 50 in RC5

I'd like to see the team reach these goals by the start of MWNY.

--Scott

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Scotttheking ]</STRONG>
Lofty goals but doable if we can increase membership. I wonder if we need a special (volunteer) team that would be willing to move on demand from project to project as needed to make this possible. With the new client config app, moving between SETI, RC-5 and Ubero is a piece of cake, even for non technical types like me. To reach the folding goals, we just need some heavy cruching power brought to bear for a sustained time.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by discstickers:
<STRONG>

LOL! How long has it been working on it?</STRONG>
Total time: 82hr 58min 20.9 sec.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2002, 02:42 AM

not bad for a 66mhz computer my G4 would only get one out every 24 hours and I have a dual 500, thats why I mostly crack RC5 and maby some Ubero. I read somewere that each new update to SETI makes it slower and slower, so they don't run out of information that is gathered, wheres RC5 is basicl all CPU and is altivec supported so I wipe the floors with the PC.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Tigerabbit
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>�I read somewere that each new update to SETI makes it slower and slower, so they don't run out of information that is gathered�</STRONG>
Actually, SETI 3.x was construct due to a) bandwidth limitations, like what we saw in the past couple of months; and b) gain extra work done on each workunit. In 2.x, the Doppler drift rate searched was +/- 10 Hz/s; expanded to 50 Hz/s in 3.x to be (possibly) able to find signals from artificial satellites in orbit of a planet. In 3.x, triplets (groups of three signals) were also scanned for, this was not the case in 2.x. These additions are why a 3.x workunit takes abour 50% longer than a 2.x one.

Many of the workunits I've recently worked on have been from May and June 2001, but these may not have been processed originally, may have been sent out but not returned, or have been sent the results double-checked for accuracy or comparison to a recent scan of the same region of sky. Running out of data isn't a true problem, but they may be having trouble finding places to store new data. Funding may be an issue.

It's true that Apple had an Altivec-enhanced version, Intel had a souped-up version, and possibly AMD too. None of these were allowed to be used due to the bandwidth issue; and even now there still isn't really enough bandwidth to allowed enhanced versions. Maybe this will change with SETI 4, maybe not. We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

(various sources for above information, including some heresay and a couple of rumors)
If you put a bullseye on yourself, don't be surprised when someone takes a shot at you.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>not bad for a 66mhz computer my G4 would only get one out every 24 hours and I have a dual 500, thats why I mostly crack RC5 and maby some Ubero. I read somewere that each new update to SETI makes it slower and slower, so they don't run out of information that is gathered, wheres RC5 is basicl all CPU and is altivec supported so I wipe the floors with the PC.</STRONG>
1 every 24 hours from a dual 500?? Something was wrong. My old 400 mhz iMac averaged 19.5 hours with the GUI client under 9.1. My iBook 600 13-14 hours under OS X CLI, and my 800mhz single processor G4 is 8.5 to 9.5 hours per unit under OS-X. My even older 400mhz G4 tower was 14.5 hours with 9.1. A dual 500 properly set up should be able to turn at least 3 units per day. And that is with the current client.

Actually, the reason the new clients take longer is because they process more information in greater detail. The side benefit is a reduced load on the SETI servers. The positive, is more and better information. Running out of information is not the problem. Being able to get enough bandwith to meet demand is. Hence do more work, with more detail, and reduce the demand. An all around win-win for SETI.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
<STRONG>
</STRONG>
I think that I can help a litle bit on the RC5 effort... I might be able to get a few PCs in my AP Computer Science class to run it for a few hours a day... if only I could have them run the application while they were logged out... Then I could run it for more than the 2 hours I have the class.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 03:58 PM

We can meet some, but not all, of Scott's goals with the current membership. Help from all places has put us in the running with Ubero, and our advantage at RC5 makes us competitors for the top 50/
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Michael A. Peters
Mar 17, 2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
... if only I could have them run the application while they were logged out... Then I could run it for more than the 2 hours I have the class.
What OS do they run?
If they run a *nix you can do it with a crontab.
Don't take candy from strangers

jarling
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2002, 01:13 PM

Seti
Top 50 overall
1000/day
1000 members

RC5
Top 50
300 members

Ubero
Establish a comfortable lead (100,000 WU) over Team Chile Pepper (Since this program has stopped producing any new science, 50,000 WU a day seems like a misappropriation of MacNN computing power)
250 members

Folding@home
Top 90 overall
#1 OS X Team
200 members

General
Release non-beta MDC3
Post MDC3 at popular FTP sites (download.com, etc.) in conjunction with our recruiting efforts.

Just some thoughts

Mac4evan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by jarling:

Post MDC3 at popular FTP sites (download.com, etc.) in conjunction with our recruiting efforts.
I completely agree with jarling, if we can get MDC3 on say Versiontracker, then I think that we will start to see new members coming in swarms!

Michael A. Peters
Mar 19, 2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Mac4evan:
<STRONG>

I completely agree with jarling, if we can get MDC3 on say Versiontracker, then I think that we will start to see new members coming in swarms! </STRONG>
Careful, that kind of thing can piss people off- http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...6&m=9220974704

If you do it, be sure to be extremely honest about what it is you are doing.
Don't take candy from strangers

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Michael A. Peters:
<STRONG>

Careful, that kind of thing can piss people off- http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=174096756&m=9220974704

If you do it, be sure to be extremely honest about what it is you are doing.</STRONG>
Yes honesty would be important. The client will work for other teams as well, but be honest with the user that while invited to join MacNN's team, that they are under no obligation. MacNN would still get a healthy share of potential team participants. I had previously belonged to other teams for SETI and RC-5, and came over to MacNN because I appreciated the support, stats, forums and activity which is second to none. Having the MDC3 client just cinched it for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules