Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone & Sony Headphones

iPhone & Sony Headphones
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2007, 08:17 PM

Hi all,

I went into an AT&T store on Friday just to check this iPhone out. Well, on the demo unit, the salesman (NO Politicall Corectness spoken here), first gives me this demo and takes an X-Acto knife and scratches the screen to show how "durable' the screen is--personally, I think the blade's dull.

Next, I plug in my Sony MDR-7506 headphones in and try to listen. No sound. The thing plays the music and I can watch the video but, i'm not getting sound from my headphones.

Now mind you, these headphones work perfectly on my 80Gig iPod Video. So, if that's the case, and B-the jack on the iPhone is a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, why wouldn't these Sony Professional headphones work on the iPhone?
( Last edited by gulmatan; Sep 9, 2007 at 08:26 PM. )
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2007, 08:24 PM

You need one of these since the mini-jack is recessed.

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple iPhone TTY Adapter

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2007, 09:41 PM

No, you need one of these:

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Belkin iPhone Headphone Adapter (Black)

for half the price, fortunately.

What's with people recommending the TTY adapter? An Apple employee told my dad to buy one, and of course it didn't work with his 3.5mm minijack headphones.

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2007, 11:26 PM

Thanks! Hope at the end of the tunnel!!!

I just don't know why Apple and the Steve Jobs Manifesto Factory are designing these "Must Work Steve Jobs' Way And None Other" gadgets. It just makes it rather frustrating and annoying for us who'd like to buy Apple stuff (because the WinTel option is tantamount to intellectual suicide). Thus, it gets agitating having to put up with Steve's way of doing things. Furthermore, we who colour outside the lines have to break a sweat trying to find accessories to do what we need.
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2007, 11:56 PM

Yeah I actually meant that Belkin adapter. It is pretty big though. I use the Shure adapter which was an outrageous price but it works very well with my E4Cs and I can receive and make calls using them.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Forum Links
Forum Rules