Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Studio TVR STATIC

Studio TVR STATIC
Lando Griffin
Nov 20, 2003, 02:42 AM

To all Studio TVR owners out there...

Is it normal to sometimes have static on the very top of the TV viewing screen (normally happens on channels 2 through 6)? I know it's not my cable, because it's been the same way in two different locations.
"And in other news, Lando Griffin, a popular student at a local high school, was killed last night when his motorcycle careened off Dead Man's Curve. Police were baffled when no body was found at the scene, but they decided it was best not to ask questions and just let everyone get on with their lives."

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 07:09 AM

I think that maybe the Subtitles / teletext data that is not normally shown by TVs.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 08:54 AM

Yep. That area is not seen on regular TVs because TVs overscan the TV signal--making areas close to the margins not visible. What you're seeing is normal. It shouldn't be more that 2-5% of the overall hight of the picture, and the full width.

joe
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 09:23 AM

I agree with GORDYMac. I've had 3 TV tuners for Mac (Xclaim TV USB, Formac Studio dv/tv, and Televio). All 3 show this noise at the very top of the screen. All TV sets overscan the picture so you don't see this extra noise.

However, I think Lando makes a good point. The tuner software should allow you to do the same thing in the video window on your Mac as on a TV set - overscan the picture. The noise/static is distracting and takes away from the video image.....joe

Forum Links
Forum Rules