Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Discoloration?

Macbook Discoloration?
ankurcd
Nov 27, 2007, 04:43 AM

Hello Friends,

Initially there were reports of the white Macbooks fading in colour... has this issue been fixed?

Thanks for your replies...

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 27, 2007, 06:43 AM

....somebody please comment on my above query... Thanks in advance ....

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ankurcd View Post
....somebody please comment on my above query... Thanks in advance ....
I think it is fixed. I cannot remember when was the last time I heard about this. At some point Apple found the offender (some substance in the case) and offered a solution.

But please wait a little bit more. Someone else here will certainly remember better than me.

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 27, 2007, 01:45 PM

Thanks a lot Pierre...

....somebody please comment on my above query... does the discoloration issue with white Macbooks still exist? ....

mindwaves
Nov 27, 2007, 02:10 PM

I would think that it would be fixed by now. I called Apple about my problem and they matched my serial number with a number of offending serial numbers and told me to send it in to an Apple store for a new casing.

ibook_steve
Nov 27, 2007, 02:44 PM

Patience is a virtue. Bumping a thread within a few hours is going to get you fewer responses, not more.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 27, 2007, 05:31 PM

Sorry for being offending, but it so happens that after 2 Thinkpads and 1 Pavilion - I am darned excited about purchasing a Macbook...

But, these reports of discoloration of the white Macbooks and the screen display being grainy is very unsettling... it happens to be a considerable expense for me (since I am in Europe now) - and the excitement of owning a Mac is getting mixed with fears of shelling out all the money and ending up with disappointment ...

It is my fascination and regard for Mac that is making me impulsively bounce my thread.... I need someone like you to assure me and tell me that all those fears are unfounded and that I should just go out and buy it !

Hope you excuse my excitement... I shall be more patient from now on... didn't mean to irritate anybody... thanks!

Christopera
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2007, 06:08 PM

There are two people on this forum. Those who love their macs and those who have had exteremely bad experiences and want to b*tch somewhere. The regulars love them and return everyday. Just because you hear a few horror stories clearly doesn't mean that the larger portion of the user base has experienced these problems.

The last I heard these issues were solved.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2007, 06:35 PM

From my experience I enjoy my Macbook. I have had some case issues that haven't been resolved yet but when it really comes to a computer you want it to have good software. I enjoy using OSX. I wouldn't have bought a Mac if I didn't want it.

No computer is perfect.
Bla Bla Bla

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2007, 02:18 AM

I think it's been resolved. I haven't heard too much about it since last year. My MacBook is from February, and doing just fine.

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 28, 2007, 05:46 AM

Hi Christopera, Sogbrightlight and BoingoBongom

Thank you all very much for your feedback. It is just that I am currently in Switzerland and the prices here are much higher than the US. Hence, was a bit worried about all these reports.

You are right... last reports about fading white Macbooks were from 2006.

One more question regarding the video quality on Macbooks - I have heard that it is grainy resolution while playing video.... and is not as good as the other displays in the market? Is it true?

I intend to use my Mac for personal use and intend to watch my video collection when I am touring on my consulting trips... I do not intend to play hi-end computer games... just intend to watch a few movies...

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply ... I really appreciate your feedbacks...
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

nickw311
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 10:30 AM

I think it has been substantially fixed.

I have an early version of the white MacBook and I had the upper case area replaced and I then bought protective pads to go over the palm rests.
27" iMac C2D

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 28, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I think it has been substantially fixed.

I have an early version of the white MacBook and I had the upper case area replaced and I then bought protective pads to go over the palm rests.
Protective pads for the palm rests? well... sounds like a nice workaround for the fading issue... are these pads easily available?

Geez... I wish Macbooks were more sturdy and robust...

Thanks for replying...
Regards, Ankur
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Christopera View Post
There are two people on this forum. Those who love their macs and those who have had exteremely bad experiences and want to b*tch somewhere. The regulars love them and return everyday. Just because you hear a few horror stories clearly doesn't mean that the larger portion of the user base has experienced these problems.

The last I heard these issues were solved.
I posted the thread the other day about the MacBook being grainy, but my video friend said it's gonna be like that on most laptops, as well as BearOso. Perhaps it was my DVD, perhaps it was the style it was shot in, perhaps it was my monitor wasn't calibrated correctly. I played back some 720p content and it looked fine.

Infact I only noticed it because of a codec issue on an un-related problem. So when I played back the DVD I was really paying attention. I'm sure if I just started watching the movie, I'd be fine.

Originally Posted by ankurcd View Post
One more question regarding the video quality on Macbooks - I have heard that it is grainy resolution while playing video.... and is not as good as the other displays in the market? Is it true?

I intend to use my Mac for personal use and intend to watch my video collection when I am touring on my consulting trips... I do not intend to play hi-end computer games... just intend to watch a few movies...

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply ... I really appreciate your feedbacks...
I too am using it for personal use, one of those things was videos. Once I got it setup and started using it (and the fact it's on most laptop LCD's) - it's a no issue for me.

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 28, 2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks!
Regards, Ankur

nickw311
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 02:08 PM

ankurcd:

I got my protective pads from ebay. Essentially they are white stickers cut to the exact right size for the palm rests. Not too innovative but it serves it's purpose. I paid like $10, should be worth it.

I just hope there isn't any sticky residue left when I remove them.
27" iMac C2D

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2007, 09:14 PM

Video quality is just fine. I don't notice any difference between my MacBook and my iMac. The little 13" screen is pretty impressive actually.

Also, I think the MacBook is plenty durable. It does need to be taken care of, but no more than any other electronics. Mr. Clean "Magic Erasers" work great to clean off any dirt that may build up, and they're very cheap (about $1-$3 a piece). The discoloration was a big issue because it permanently changed the color of the plastic. Any "discoloration" you see now should just be dirt and will come off pretty easily. Not to mention you really shouldn't have any problem with dirt as long as you don't use your computer right after playing in the mud or something, haha.

ankurcd  (op)
Nov 29, 2007, 03:25 AM

Hi BoingoBongo, nickw311 and fibroptikl...

Thanks for the reassuring information...
Regards, Ankur

magicbumone
Nov 30, 2007, 02:51 AM

I have not experienced much discoloration of my macbook. The trackpad shows a little wear but if I clean it with iKlear is looks brand new again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules